I am disapointed in HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SecretFly

War Child
Well I will be honest here... At this stage I am disapointed in the album. When I first listened to it I thought "WOW" new U2 MUSIC but now I really think that alot of the songs on the album are "SAFE" in that U2 are trying to create songs and create a sound that will impress the overall audience which can lead to the overall sound of the album to be a tad boring in my opinion.

The song Vertigo should not be on the album as this is a very tacky song in my opinion. Sometimes is a good song as well as ABOY, and OOTS but these are not great songs and there are no potential classic songs on this album. I also believe that this album is no where in the class of JT ,AB or Zooropa.

I really hope this album grows on me but at this stage I am disappointed. Sorry Folks :(

Last edited:
I think it is miles ahead of Zooropa, but I agree that it's not as good as Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. I wasn't expecting it to be. You gotta give those guys credit, they're in their mid 40's and can still produce songs like Vertigo and All Because of You while staying somewhat classic with Miracle Drug, COBL, OOTS....:drool:

Agree Irishdawg. To still produce original, classic songs that are far better than anything else out at the moment, is pretty cool.
Miracle Drug, OOTS, COBL......(AMAAW!!):drool:

When I first heard Miracle Drug I got goose bumps and watery eyes but now after a few listens it doesn't do much for me ...maybe you have to be in the mood but the overall sound of the song is pretty simplistic just like the overall album sound which is nothing special.

There are no classic With or Without You, Streets have no name, One or The Fly songs on the album which is why I am disappointed.

I still love my U2 and am hoping this album will grow on me.

I've tried but I can't bring myself to like HTDAAB. If fact I can't stand it. I love vertigo but the rest of it makes me fall asleep. I think it might be poor production as I love the tracks on the dvd and when they played live on radio 1 but listening to the album is painful. I think I might put it away and come back to it again next year.

No. 3.5 said:
I've tried but I can't bring myself to like HTDAAB. If fact I can't stand it. I love vertigo but the rest of it makes me fall asleep. I think it might be poor production as I love the tracks on the dvd and when they played live on radio 1 but listening to the album is painful. I think I might put it away and come back to it again next year.

Bloody Hell!

:huh:

No. 3.5 said:
I've tried but I can't bring myself to like HTDAAB. If fact I can't stand it. I love vertigo but the rest of it makes me fall asleep.

ahhh......to be 13 again......

No. 3.5 said:

No surely not, you can't say that here! How dare you not like the new album, it's by U2 for god's sake.:wink:

Yeah I feel the same way about it as you guys. At first it was great new U2 music. Then you just realize how simple the songs are rythymically. There's virtually no dynamics in the rythyms you just have Adam and Larry doing a click track for Edge and Bono who are pretty much just painting by the numbers.

I feel there's going to be a pretty big backlash against this album in the next year or so. It just seems to be such a mediocre album at best that people will realize just how flat it is after they've played it as much as AB or JT.

I've been listening to the songs for about 3 weeks now, as we all have.

I'm not listening to it as much as I did, but that's probably not saying much.

I feel like in a few years, the only songs I'll probably come back to are Sometimes, Love and Peace or Else, Man and a Woman, and Original of the Species. And, I'd add ... I already prefer Native Son and Xanax and Wine ... I think I will create a new HTDAAB with those songs on it. I also think I prefer the original version of All Because of You. Since 2000, U2 has had a tendency to overcook its songs in the studio (a response to Pop?) and these original versions, to me, showcase the song and not Pro Tools or whatever they use.

There's something just a little too obvious about the album; I can't put my finger on it. When I've listened to Achtung Baby in the last couple weeks, the discrepancy is immediately apparent.

Last edited:
SecretFly said:
When I first heard Miracle Drug I got goose bumps and watery eyes but now after a few listens it doesn't do much for me ...maybe you have to be in the mood but the overall sound of the song is pretty simplistic just like the overall album sound which is nothing special.

There are no classic With or Without You, Streets have no name, One or The Fly songs on the album which is why I am disappointed.

I still love my U2 and am hoping this album will grow on me.

This album is a grower - it took me several listenings to fully enjoy it. The first two or three times through, I wasn't impressed either - now I love it.

Also, there is no need for a classic "With or Without You", "One", etc. on this album as those songs have already been done. Instead, I am positive we'll have classics like "City of Blinding Lights" and "Sometimes..." on this album. Remember, one needs time before something is considered a "classic".

11 posts only so far SecretFly?

It's funny but the people where all these negativity comes from - especially the thread starters - are those new members.

Either they are older members using new handles to cause trouble.

Or they are fans from rival bands' message forums instructed to sign up here and cause trouble.

Perhaps an IP check is needed for all these people.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

It's funny but the people where all these negativity comes from - especially the thread starters - are those new members.

Or they are fans from rival bands' message forums instructed to sign up here and cause trouble.

Cheers,

J

Dont think that's really fair Jick. SecretFly has posted a couple more times on this thread, responding to others comments - and if you read them properly, I think you'll agree that they're not the sort of comments that a troll, or someone from another fan site would be making.
Could it just be possible that he/she has bought the album recently, and has since looked for a U2 fan site in which to 'discuss opinions' on the said album?:eyebrow:

jick said:

Cheers,

J

IP check for what? For censorship of new posts from new members who happen to dislike the album?

What if in 97 ppl decided to censor you Jick when Pop was released? Cause in every post i read from you you bash Pop. Would not be different in 97.

LiveFire said:
Yeah I feel the same way about it as you guys. At first it was great new U2 music. Then you just realize how simple the songs are rythymically. There's virtually no dynamics in the rythyms you just have Adam and Larry doing a click track for Edge and Bono who are pretty much just painting by the numbers.

I feel there's going to be a pretty big backlash against this album in the next year or so. It just seems to be such a mediocre album at best that people will realize just how flat it is after they've played it as much as AB or JT.

I have not sensed any backlash from ATYCLB nor do I anticipate one for HTDAAB.

If there is one - it'll be here on these boards, where the never-ending whine of U2 fans is so loud, it's tough to think. :wink:

I joke, but there's truth - U2 is in the unfortunate position of never doing anything right. They create UF, but fans wanted more of "War". They created JT and fans scream "sell out" once the album is a success. They create R&H, which is essentially a JT-Part 2, and fans scream that the album is too dark and that U2 are too arrogant. They create AB and fans want more of JT. They created "Zooropa" and fans scream that now U2 really has gone too far. They create "Pop" and it's largely ignored. They created ATYCLB and fans want more "Pop" - even though it was ignored. They create HTDAAB and fans scream it's ATYCLB-Part 2, even though the album is far more experimental.

It's a no-win situation for U2 - it always has been.

But this no-win situation is only true for the die-hard fanatics. For the average music lover who likes U2, it's great. There's a reason why JT, R&H, AB, ATYCLB and now HTDAAB have huge sales numbers - and it's not because of the die-hards. If the die-hards really mattered that much, "Pop" would have sold a lot more than 1.5M copies in the U.S.

So only on these boards will there be a "backlash" against HTDAAB. And - joy - I can't wait to read that nonsense. :rolleyes:

The more I listen it, the more I dislike it :( :ohmy: :sad:

I´m really dissapointed of this "Bomb". I hate this safe U2, really. :sad:

I think people from www.amazon.com are right, is quite All That You Can´t Leave Behind II. Mixed reviews says it everything, no matter loving or hating this album, it´s clear many fans are dissapointed like me :down: :tsk:

I do like it. But I was hoping Edge would have starting with AB style guitar, then turned it up a notch from there.

:(

This record is too Oprah friendly.

Its as good an album as U2 has ever written once you get past the naustalgic value of the other albums. Give me new music that is just as good quality of the other "classics" any day and this album has exactly that.

Ive NOT GOT THE ALBUM yet!!! dont think ill spend my $ one this yet. i have the mp3s but this album is too radio friendly(not my style on music) too safe and too pop... no big statements no big sound and no fucking guitar solos(ex the fly or btbs live) ya me no like this album. LAPOE is nice and sycmoyo but the rest zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ya borrrrrring!

ill actuall take a sign to u2's concert it will say.

GIVE ME ROCKnROLL OR GO HOME!

htdaab rocks as much as a cold play album!!!!!!!!!!!

a sad time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and too every one who says this is the best album hellooooo

new music helllooooo i bet 100$ that in a year htdaab and atyclb will be two u2 crap album and as bono says!!!!!!!!!!!

ya man this is a poor album, realy edge how long did it take for you to come up with that 5 sec solo for aboy :mad:

im sorry for writing all this but i have to get all this out... but i have to let u2 no that

Back
Top Bottom