Hypothetical Situation #1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlihcraw

The Fly
A friend of yours who is completely ignorant of U2 reacts positively after hearing “Vertigo” on the radio. Your friend, willing to forfeit his or her obsession with Nelly and develop a strong passion for real music, asks, “What other music from them is good? I want to listen to an album.” At this point in time, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb hasn’t been released. Your friend is eager to consume his or herself into a single U2 album. Considering the particular sound of “Vertigo” and admitting the varying quality of each available U2 album, which one would you suggest?

Last edited:
Boy. I feel Vertigo could fit perfectly into that album.

I would tell him/her to give Achtung Baby a listen. I think there is a wide range of songs on it, from the more rock sounds of UTEOTW and The Fly to the more melodic and deep songs like Love is Blindness. Maybe a little something for everyone on it. To me, AB comes the closest to representing the range U2 is capable of.

Great question, by the way!

AB, without a doubt. Vertigo is a fun rock song and AB has got those. Also, its sound can hook people into giving it repeated listens and then they discover how deep it is.

I originally hated AB because I thought it sounded dated (this was 2 years ago when the only song i knew was elevation, before Electrical Storm came out)... only song that hooked me was Mysterious Ways initially.. I think as a starting off album, the best of is much better because you really get a feel for the range of U2, and once you love the big songs, then you start to love the albums

I would just invite them over to my place for a few beers and let them borrow whatever they wanted. A single album though, I think that Pop could hook them, I mean Mofo, Gone, Do You Feel Loved, Last Night on Earth, Staring at the Sun and Discotheque. They are all really good and could show some good stuff.

Last edited:
bcrt2000 said:
I originally hated AB because I thought it sounded dated (this was 2 years ago when the only song i knew was elevation, before Electrical Storm came out)... only song that hooked me was Mysterious Ways initially.. I think as a starting off album, the best of is much better because you really get a feel for the range of U2, and once you love the big songs, then you start to love the albums

Right. My brother isn't too keen on AB being a small fan. What that person needs is either the Best of 1980-1990 and 1990-2000. Then assure them that to get the real U2 experience they need to get in the albums one at a time, because they're all different. (That is, if they dig some of the songs on the best ofs)

actually, the real story of me loving U2 was the fact that it was a long bus ride to and from campus since i commute, so my brother works about 15 minutes from campus and id always hitch a ride with him.. i heard AB about 3 weeks straight in the car hating every moment before i finally started to like it

Probably Achtung Baby or Boy...

Achtung Baby has seems to be similar style and sound-wise.
Boy is similar sound and production-wise.

A_Wanderer said:
I would just invite them over to my place for a few beers and let them borrow whatever they wanted. A single album though, I think that Pop could hook them, I mean Mofo, Gone, Do You Feel Loved, Last Night on Earth, Staring at the Sun and Discotheque. They are all really good and could show some good stuff.

Great fuckin' idea!

Ouch, tough crowd. It's starting to feel "hot in herre!" For that reason alone, I will always hate Nelly. Yes, "hate" is a very strong word, but so is "illiterate"!

no way, achtung baby will turn him away. hes not ready for it. get a copy of the 2 best ofs, its sure fire.

if you introduce him to achtung, he might feel wierd about blasting mysterious ways being so early 90's. the rest of the album is too abstract for a newbie. im speaking from experience. achtung is the best and he will discover it soon enough, tis too soon though

i think i'd actually send him Pop's way. it's just too great of an album to not listen to first. but then again, Achtung Baby is the classic of all classics.

t8thgr8 said:
no way, achtung baby will turn him away. hes not ready for it. get a copy of the 2 best ofs, its sure fire.

if you introduce him to achtung, he might feel wierd about blasting mysterious ways being so early 90's. the rest of the album is too abstract for a newbie. im speaking from experience. achtung is the best and he will discover it soon enough, tis too soon though

Excellent paraphrase of my post

can we start a ATYCLB vs. Pop discussion just for old times sake?:wink:

muwahahahahahaahahahahah!!!

Man, I'm telling you, give him the Achtung!!!!!
If this album was released today, it would soar to #1. Greatest album ever created. I GAURANTEE your friend listens to it and goes and checks out a few more of their works. It is irresistable.

Secondly, Nelly is a big reason why rap music has become almost complete garbage and a pointless music run by marketing. And the worst part is, rappers like him get all the airplay, which puts rap in a bad light, when there are some great MCS still out there. There are a couple Nelly songs I like when I'm at the club, but thers not much talent involved in his music.

Hey, you know what? U2 is good enough to stand on it's own merit...no matter you play is going to be golden. Don't censor yourself-- I truly believe that U2's music comes from above, if it's meant to speak to that person then it will.

I've been in this situation before. Ive never tried to get my friends into u2, but I play them a lot in my car or whatever, so its bound to strike attention. Whenever people have asked me to dubb a u2 album for them, I always make them a u2 mix CD. Its so much fun, going through the catalog and picking songs you think they will get into the most, based on their character.

Back
Top Bottom