HTDAAB...lame duck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bomb isn't a bomb by any means, as was stated above, not when you sell 3 million copies in 7 months and not when you sell out a tour in 15 minutes. But the thing that holds Bomb back imo is the lack of a pop hook in most songs on the album. These songs are good, great even, but not that catchy. Vertigo is musical crack. One listen and you're hooked. But ABOY, LPOE, MD, COBL all are lacking that catchy phrase or chorus that will have you humming in your head for the next 3 days. American rock music is driven by hooks, be it through lyrics or melody or both. Look at any top rock songs on the radio now... American Baby, Mr. Brightside, Holiday, Speed Of Sound; these songs are short and catchy; leaning more toward pop than rock. And Pop is what kids are buying.

In the late 80's and early 90's, it was Heavy Metal and Alternative that was being bought by teenagers in the US. U2 did well not just because they are frickin' awesome (!) but because their music fit the times. They're a rock and roll band that played rock and roll songs at a time when rock and roll still sold.

They're still doing their thing, they put out a rock and roll record but the times have changed. Teenagers are more interested in Pop and Rap and Country now. Rock is more of a novelty, they'll buy a song off iTunes maybe, but not a rock album.

And the outlets for rock are limited too. Radio stations that cater to teenagers don't play rock. MTV doesn't play rock on TRL. Rock isn't played on TV shows like the OC and Smallville; shows that are considered draws for teens. And that's the market with the bucks to spend and the desire to be immersed in the pop culture. And to them, HTAAB, a pure rock and roll record, isn't in style.

It's not that the album failed, it's that U2 decided to do what U2 does best, and fuck what's popular.

Though, you have to wonder, what would Bomb have been like with Eno and Lanois at the helm? :drool:

Okay, first of all, no comparisons with Europe, rather England at least - the number one song in their country is a RINGTONE.

Secondly, I'd say ABOY got the least airplay of the singles, but I've heard Sometimes numerous times on the radio, and seen the video on VH1... it wasn't ubiquitous like Vertigo was, but it did fairly well. City of Blinding Lights...is this actually a single in the US? I haven't heard a single thing about it, not one. Personally I don't think it was the right choice for a single - way too long, even with the radio edit. Also, I think Sometimes should have been released before ABOY... releasing two rockers in a row makes you look like a one-trick pony. I think BOTH singles would have done better if reversed (like they were in Europe, right?) If U2 chooses to release a 5th single, Original of the Species would be the best choice and has potential to lift album sales. Original has that hook; it's easily one of the catchiest songs on the album. And as others have said, I'm sure HTDAAB will receive some Grammy nominations, which will also increase sales. It's far from a lameduck, U2 is doing brilliantly especially for a band of their age.

I would have to say that Coldplays latest album deserves to sell more than HTDAAB and ATYCLB as its a better album. Coldplays latest is the best album I have heard for 4 or 5 years. Probably the best since Kid A in 2000.:wink:

Snowlock said:
Bomb isn't a bomb by any means, as was stated above, not when you sell 3 million copies in 7 months and not when you sell out a tour in 15 minutes. But the thing that holds Bomb back imo is the lack of a pop hook in most songs on the album. These songs are good, great even, but not that catchy. Vertigo is musical crack. One listen and you're hooked. But ABOY, LPOE, MD, COBL all are lacking that catchy phrase or chorus that will have you humming in your head for the next 3 days. American rock music is driven by hooks, be it through lyrics or melody or both. Look at any top rock songs on the radio now... American Baby, Mr. Brightside, Holiday, Speed Of Sound; these songs are short and catchy; leaning more toward pop than rock. And Pop is what kids are buying.

So true. U2 aren't writing radio friendly tunes. I've been saying for months that there would be no hits in the U.S. off this album. It's one way that U2 are still playing by their own rules, as opposed to the formulaic rules the bands mentioned in that quote are. HTDAAB may have flaws, but I've never understood the lingering criticism that it's too built for the marketplace. U2 is challenging the marketplace, not catering to it. They used Vertigo and the IPod ad to pound their way into the marketplace, in the hopes that another song or two would stick around to change the temperature of the marketplace. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked, but it was gallant and noble attempt to do it their way.

Coldplay's new album is boring, without musical growth and none of the songs take off in a way that U2 or even green day's do. Coldplay will have their run, but me-thinks in a couple more years no one will really care about them and U2 will still be selling 3 million in the u2 off their latest album.

rjhbonovox said:
I would have to say that Coldplays latest album deserves to sell more than HTDAAB and ATYCLB as its a better album. Coldplays latest is the best album I have heard for 4 or 5 years. Probably the best since Kid A in 2000.:wink:

That's very funny. You don't care that they've blatently ripped off The Beatles, U2, REM, Kraftwork, Pink Floyd & Radiohead?

And you criticise U2 for ripping off themselves. :lmao:

You have a very strange idea of greatness :ohmy:

P.S. Don't mention CM's lyrics, cause they are shite.

roy said:

That's very funny. You don't care that they've blatently ripped off The Beatles, U2, REM, Kraftwork, Pink Floyd & Radiohead?

And you criticise U2 for ripping off themselves. :lmao:

You have a very strange idea of greatness :ohmy:

P.S. Don't mention CM's lyrics, cause they are shite.

In all history all bands borrow from bands from the past. They all have their influences. There is only Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles that were original in everything they did. Coldplay obviously borrow from U2 and Radiohead and REM but I tell you, who fuc#ing cares when they are making the best music out there, and there is no doubting that. I have just watched them playing Square One on Jools Holland and it was superb.

Flying FuManchu said:
No Jimi and The Beatles weren't 100% original either. Ask Jeff Beck and Brian Wilson.

Hendrix never borrowed from anybody, he was not even human. He was an extra terrestrial being from a far distant planet. As for Jeff Beck, he wasn't fit to change hendrix's guitar strings let alone lace his boots!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

Oh dear.

Snowlock said:

Though, you have to wonder, what would Bomb have been like with Eno and Lanois at the helm? :drool:

Crap ???? the last U2/Eno/Lanois adventure was a disgrace :wink:

The Bomb is great and maybe next time U2 should consider Eno and Lanois again IF and only IF they feel like making something that is not designed to suck up to the masses. U2 should make another Pop and then maybe everybody can get tickets for their tour :wink: Because i doubt all the casual fans would appreciate anything less than Beautiful day II and Vertigo II...

U2 !! Bring back something like POP and play Acrobat damn it :angry:

Last edited:
The_One1932 said:
Coldplay's new album is boring, without musical growth and none of the songs take off in a way that U2 or even green day's do. Coldplay will have their run, but me-thinks in a couple more years no one will really care about them and U2 will still be selling 3 million in the u2 off their latest album.

My thoughts exactly. I dont think X&Y is a bad album, but its not that good either. Coldplay is already starting to repeat themselves, and its only their 3rd album. I still listen to HTDAAB everyday, while i put X&Y back in its box.

- Vertigo - #1
- Sometimes - #1
- COBL - #2

...but yes, it's not that good in US, let's make a problem out of it...:rolleyes:

yimou said:

Crap ???? the last U2/Eno/Lanois adventure was a disgrace :wink:

The Bomb is great and maybe next time U2 should consider Eno and Lanois again IF and only IF they feel like making something that is not designed to suck up to the masses. U2 should make another Pop and then maybe everybody can get tickets for their tour :wink: Because i doubt all the casual fans would appreciate anything less than Beautiful day II and Vertigo II...

U2 !! Bring back something like POP and play Acrobat damn it :angry:

Huh? Pop failed MISERABLY. The tour didn't make money and the album is considered their weakest since October. Eno and Lanois were the producers for UF, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Zooropa and ATYCLB. All considered smash hits. Flood was the producer on Pop and had quite a hand in HTDAAB; both albums which started off well then petered out. I'd have to say E & L's track record is just a *tad* bit better.

Yawn.

And, someone look up what "Lame Duck" actually means. Are you implying that this is U2's last year in office?

Who knew?

If HTDAAB is a failure, fuck, I need to go back to the dictionary my own self and look "failure" up. I like the CD, I like it even more now than in November, since hearing some of the songs LIVE. If this is what U2's all about going forward, fine with me. I'd advise the bashers to simply stop buying their albums, stop going to the shows and stop bashing the shit out of them on fan sites.

Lastly, anyone that thinks Coldplay is on U2's level is nuts. I know opinions are opinions and cannot be wrong, but still....come on.

I love HTDAAB. Everytime I listen to it, the higher it climbs on my personal favorite albums list. Aside from A Man And A Woman, I think the whole record is great.

Snowlock said:

Huh? Pop failed MISERABLY. The tour didn't make money and the album is considered their weakest since October. Eno and Lanois were the producers for UF, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Zooropa and ATYCLB. All considered smash hits. Flood was the producer on Pop and had quite a hand in HTDAAB; both albums which started off well then petered out. I'd have to say E & L's track record is just a *tad* bit better.

I guess you missed the point in my post :wink: Read it again and you will notice that you dont have to defend anything. oh and i am well aware of the fact that Eno and Lanois was not responsable for Pop. And those who consider Pop their weakest album since October have shit for brains....

Snowlock said:

In the late 80's and early 90's, it was Heavy Metal and Alternative that was being bought by teenagers in the US. U2 did well not just because they are frickin' awesome (!) but because their music fit the times. They're a rock and roll band that played rock and roll songs at a time when rock and roll still sold.

They're still doing their thing, they put out a rock and roll record but the times have changed. Teenagers are more interested in Pop and Rap and Country now. Rock is more of a novelty, they'll buy a song off iTunes maybe, but not a rock album.

And the outlets for rock are limited too. Radio stations that cater to teenagers don't play rock. MTV doesn't play rock on TRL. Rock isn't played on TV shows like the OC and Smallville; shows that are considered draws for teens. And that's the market with the bucks to spend and the desire to be immersed in the pop culture. And to them, HTAAB, a pure rock and roll record, isn't in style.

It's not that the album failed, it's that U2 decided to do what U2 does best, and fuck what's popular.

I agree with a lot of what you said, except that rock is now a "novelty". I just looked at Billoard's Top 50 Albums , and at least fifteen of the Top 50...and four of the top ten are rock acts, including the number one album (and a rock album has been at the top for the last 7 weeks, including acts like Audioslave, the Boss etc.) Even Oasis cracked the US top 20 last week.

Rock is not going anywhere. In fact anytime rock has been on the ropes (in relative terms) to morph itself to remain relevant (in the70s, punk...in the eighties New Wave...in the 90s grunge...in the early decade, Nu Metal...[though I hate hate Nu Metal]).

Cheers

...and BTW, weren't some of U2's songs showcased on the OC?

yimou said:

I guess you missed the point in my post :wink: Read it again and you will notice that you dont have to defend anything. oh and i am well aware of the fact that Eno and Lanois was not responsable for Pop. And those who consider Pop their weakest album since October have shit for brains....

Ranking means nothing. Didn't say it didn't gross money. I said it didn't make money. The cost of the tour wasn't recovered by the box office.

Snowlock said:

Ranking means nothing. Didn't say it didn't gross money. I said it didn't make money. The cost of the tour wasn't recovered by the box office.

You are still not getting my point :wink: I think you are answering the wrong post mate.. I never talked about Tour succes or money.

LeafsNation said:

I agree with a lot of what you said, except that rock is now a "novelty". I just looked at Billoard's Top 50 Albums , and at least fifteen of the Top 50...and four of the top ten are rock acts, including the number one album (and a rock album has been at the top for the last 7 weeks, including acts like Audioslave, the Boss etc.) Even Oasis cracked the US top 20 last week.

Rock is not going anywhere. In fact anytime rock has been on the ropes (in relative terms) to morph itself to remain relevant (in the70s, punk...in the eighties New Wave...in the 90s grunge...in the early decade, Nu Metal...[though I hate hate Nu Metal]).

Cheers

...and BTW, weren't some of U2's songs showcased on the OC?

Yeah, but we weren't talking about album sales, we're talking about singles and singles is a market (at least the Billboard Hot 100) that is a reflection of young peoples' tastes. Obviously rock does well in album sales because U2 sold 2.7 million. I was trying to explain why high album sales didn't correspond to high single sales.

I certainly hope rock is not going anywhere. I have no idea what I'd listen to if it did. But just like the late 70's when music was dominated by disco, we're in a period where Rock is over shadowed by R&B.

yimou said:

You are still not getting my point :wink: I think you are answering the wrong post mate.. I never talked about Tour succes or money.

Yep. Hit the wrong "quote button, sorry". Was actually in reply to bathiu :|

yimou said:

Bono and Larry have shit for brains?

:lol: at yimou. I don't know about 'shit for brains' but I agree with him overall and disagree with Bono and Larry. :grumpy:

Zootlesque said:
:lol: at yimou. I don't know about 'shit for brains' but I agree with him overall and disagree with Bono and Larry. :grumpy:

:lol:

I have never read anything that makes me think that Bono and Larry really feel that way. Thats why i have no trouble saying that they have shit for brains :wink:

Back
Top Bottom