HTDAAB Has no staying power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
reptile said:
Since i have started listening to it on the headphones i am loving it more and more................:heart:
Now that I've bought headphones that actually let me hear bass instead of fuzz, I am loving it more and more................:heart:

Depends on the listener I think. I've had it since it's been released, I've yet to go a full week without listening to it, or at least some of it.

Also, 3 radio stations where I live were playing Vertigo quite a bit, 2 of them were playing the album version "City" a few months ago, (especially when U2's tour started up, and radio stations were giving away concert tickets to U2. )

The station that heavily played "Vertigo" is kinda the U2 station in my area these days, they play a U2 song, at least once an hour. "Sometimes" was getting played, it seems this station plays "new" songs a few weeks after singles are officially released.

Either via radio, or me actually putting on the CD, either way, I've listened to "Atomic Bomb" a lot.

My only thing is, after hearing "Love and Peace" live, it's hard to go back to the album version.

On 'How to...' I agree it does have a really overproduced sound to it compared to this amazing 'rock beast' we were made to expect. This really doesn't go in U2's favour when it comes to tracks like 'Miracle Drug' and 'City of Blinding Lights'.

Other than that I think the problem is the songs are far too basic by U2's standards. It doesn't really come close to 'All That you Can't Leave Behind' in terms of songwriting. Stuff like 'One Step Closer' is drivel. The instrumentation is dull and the lyrics are rubbish which is a shame because it sends you to sleep before the best tracks on the album 'Original of the Species' and 'Yahweh'.

I got my copy of 'How to...' home and switched off my lights and lay on my bed listening to it start to finish and really wasn't blown away sadly, but the last two tracks really did save the whole album for me.

indigo tree said:
Too commerical sounding? I always laugh at this. How many rock bands are brave enough to make a song like Yahweh or Original of the Species?

Ok I'll give you Yahweh but that doesn't mean overall the album isn't commercial sounding. I think OOTS is very commercial sounding though.

i think the album is very sugar coated!!

and its very similar to atyclb!! i wanted a new album not a prequel!!
Prequels often play on the fact that the audience knows what will happen next!

all in all i think the album has some decent songs!!

Tyagu_Anaykus said:
shaun vox are you jick??? :eyebrow:

about your last post, what songs do you think are decent?

ive been a member of interference since Jul 2000!!at that time there were only 20 or something members!!!

decent songs, Sometimes You Can't Make It /Miracle Drug and Original of the Species!!

Shaun, you has been torturing this forum since 2000 ?, Jeez !, we are patient people, by the way, you are a decent member too, not a great one.

You don't wanted a prequel, what are you talkin about ?, Star Wars ?, HTDAAB was previous to ATYCLB ?, I must to understand that YOU DON'T WANTED A SEQUEL.

Re: Re: Re: Re: HTDAAB Has no staying power

Layton said:

Thanks, I was concerned that it sounded a bit sarcastic. I'm just interested in what a person like this one sees the theme to be. It's so sad that so many are caught up in this 'safe' thing. "You label me, I label you" as Metallica says.

You're becoming one of my favorite posters here Layton. You've really gotten the point of the record. I love this album, and like it more and more everytime I hear it.

HTDAAB > well...nevermind. :wink:

haven't really been listening to much u2 that last couple months, put HTDAAB in the other day and it's still a brilliant album. A lot of great stuff on there.

Layton said:

You mean they were making better music when they weren't monogomous----lol. Hard to argue that, I guess---lol. Life always seems more interesting with a few extra ladies around. Problem is, U2 has began to stand up to their demons and not run from them. That's where HTDAAB's theme begins.

The album's themes are well-documented: it starts out in a place of fear "Vertigo" and then arcs back to a place of hope, and homecoming "Yahweh". Just because someone "gets" the theme doesn't make it a great record.

I think the music is excellent on the album, but the lyrics are boring ('Freedom has a scent / Like the top of a newborn baby's head' is the crappiest line Bono has ever written). I'm more into music than lyrics, anyway, so I still give it 4 stars.

reptile said:
Since i have started listening to it on the headphones i am loving it more and more................:heart:

Isn't Jacknife Lee's studio magic incredible? I hope they bring him back for the next album.

:drool:

My dream lineup would be: Eno + Lanois, plus Flood and Jacknife Lee. With Lillywhite showing up at the midnight hour to finish off any stranded songs.

LyricalDrug said:

The album's themes are well-documented: it starts out in a place of fear "Vertigo" and then arcs back to a place of hope, and homecoming "Yahweh". Just because someone "gets" the theme doesn't make it a great record.

I think 'getting' the theme can enhance experiencing the album. It helps foster an understanding of why certain sounds and ideas were favored over other possibilities. This is where I think 'getting' the theme comes in handy when scrutinizing the junk labels that people insistently toss around like 'safe' and 'sales-minded'. Under close thematic scrutiny, those labels don't hold up.

Now, you're right in pointing out that 'getting' the theme doesn't make an album great. Album quality can be evaluated in 3 ways, I think. 1. Analysis of thematic content, 2. Analysis of the artist's creative vision of that content and, 3. Analysis of the delivery/execution of that content and vision. I point this out because analysis of this kind RARELY occurs when discussing HTDAAB. Admittedly, I was challenging one of the purveyors of the junk labels to think harder when I posed the theme question to them. I don't think it's gonna hurt them and MAYBE they'd make a more convincing case on why they think HTDAAB is relatively weak.

LyricalDrug said:

I think the music is excellent on the album, but the lyrics are boring ('Freedom has a scent / Like the top of a newborn baby's head' is the crappiest line Bono has ever written). I'm more into music than lyrics, anyway, so I still give it 4 stars.
am pretty sure that lyric cannot be properly appretiated unless you have experienced the birth of a son or daughter,

bono's lyrics in this album are actually very opening and deep, about his feelings for his father, feelings towards the world and war, and feelings towards religion,

personally for me i love it when it came out, and i love it even more now

Layton said:

I think 'getting' the theme can enhance experiencing the album. It helps foster an understanding of why certain sounds and ideas were favored over other possibilities. This is where I think 'getting' the theme comes in handy when scrutinizing the junk labels that people insistently toss around like 'safe' and 'sales-minded'. Under close thematic scrutiny, those labels don't hold up.

Now, you're right in pointing out that 'getting' the theme doesn't make an album great. Album quality can be evaluated in 3 ways, I think. 1. Analysis of thematic content, 2. Analysis of the artist's creative vision of that content and, 3. Analysis of the delivery/execution of that content and vision. I point this out because analysis of this kind RARELY occurs when discussing HTDAAB. Admittedly, I was challenging one of the purveyors of the junk labels to think harder when I posed the theme question to them. I don't think it's gonna hurt them and MAYBE they'd make a more convincing case on why they think HTDAAB is relatively weak.

I think the 'theme' of an album only becomes important when you have the tunes to back it up and quite frankly U2 didn't.

nickypiemcg said:

I think the 'theme' of an album only becomes important when you have the tunes to back it up and quite frankly U2 didn't.

There's a significant difference between not appealing to your personal tastes and making a creatively weak album. I respect anybody who says this album just isn't their cup of tea, but no most of the naysayers around here want to claim that there's some sort of larger weakness at play here. Except that few if any of them are willing or able to engage in a real discussion on the matter. If you're gonna make noise about the tunes being weak, then bring the noise. Don't be shy about it.

LyricalDrug said:

I think the music is excellent on the album, but the lyrics are boring ('Freedom has a scent / Like the top of a newborn baby's head' is the crappiest line Bono has ever written).

It seems to me that certain phrases probably stick in Bono's head until he finds some way to shoehorn it into a song...or two. You'll find "Freedom has a scent" in the song Levitate as well. I believe that "I want the lot of what you got" comes up in a few songs. I'm sure there are other examples of identical lyrics in multiple songs.

Bluer White said:

It seems to me that certain phrases probably stick in Bono's head until he finds some way to shoehorn it into a song...or two. You'll find "Freedom has a scent" in the song Levitate as well. I believe that "I want the lot of what you got" comes up in a few songs. I'm sure there are other examples of identical lyrics in multiple songs.

Bono also like to end lines with the word "child." He does it in Even Better than, and also on an early song that I can't recall the name of.

shaun vox said:
i think the album is very sugar coated!!

and its very similar to atyclb!! i wanted a new album not a prequel!!
Prequels often play on the fact that the audience knows what will happen next!

all in all i think the album has some decent songs!!

htdaab blows atyclb out of the water, atyclb is the only U2 album where a couple of songs need to be redone. I also related to this album the day it was released, on many diffrent levels. I love this album but I wish they wouldve released natve son instead of vertigo!

nickypiemcg said:

i sure think they did, and so do many others. why try and make your opinion into fact? when quite frankly it isnt

KUEFC09U2 said:
i sure think they did, and so do many others. why try and make your opinion into fact? when quite frankly it isnt

Is that a fact?

KUEFC09U2 said:

OK now you're just trying to be clever. I think it is pretty clear that just because I didn't write IMO it is still only in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom