Here's the question!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Layton

War Child
I think it's a given that Vertigo and the new album will be good if not great, but I'm not sure how much that matters. The real question is not will the new record be great, but how great will the new record be?. I just think in order for U2 to have the all encompassing success they've had with past records this one has to be every bit as great if not more so than their previous best works. I think this relativity is gonna dog them throughout this whole project (album, tour etc.). Right now I think there's a 50/50 chance that they'll pull this off. It'll be interesting to see if they can do the unprecedented. To make a rock album masterpiece this far into their career that's every bit as masterful as their youthful greatness. No other major artist of the rock era has ever done this, I don't think. I've always believed U2 had it in them to pull off this kind of greatness in their 40's. Bono has said for a long time that he thought U2 would peak about now (all his comments about directors, authors etc. peaking in their 40's and 50's). So we're about to find out if this can be U2's pinnacle or if their best days are behind them. Just thought I'd pile the pressure on-----lol.

I think the recent description of a more guitar based ATYCLB bode quite well for the record. We'll get songs and sonics. I think u2 are done with their grand expirements. They're moving on to writing the best songs and playing them as a great rock band. I'm quite happy with that. If I want u2 expirementing I can break out UF, Zooropa, Passengers, or Pop. Now they need to concentrate on doing what they've always done best. Writing great songs and playing with fire.

MrBrau1 said:
And maybe the new record will have a ballad about boogers. We can only hope.

What on earth does that have to do with the price of banannas at a gas station?

No but seriously....I hope this becomes a U2 classic in the mainstream sense that Joshua Tree did. I'm not saying that's my fav. but you know what I mean. I know they have it in 'em.

:shrug: We'll see.

If they can get closer to JT/AB than they did with Pop and ATYCLB, we could be considering the third masterpiece.

Back
Top Bottom