Happy Seventh Birthday 'The Best Of 1980-1990 & B-Sides'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Yesterday was November 4, and, and 'The Best Of 1980-1990 & B-Sides' - which I consider to be vastly superior to its 90s counterpart - was released on November 3/4(Europe/Rest Of World), 1998.

Happy Birthday to the disc that turned me from a U2 fan in the fall of 1998 to a U2 fanatic in the winter of 1998!

:heart:

yes, it is a great compillation, some b sides i havent had a chance to hear before this came out, some of u2s best!!!:drool:

they could have made the 1990-2000 just as good, if they had really tried...

include stuff from only the nineties (save atyclb for the 3rd best of) and replace remixes on disc 2 wtih unreleased tracks...

they had so many songs to choose from...

disc 1 (no particular order)
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
One
Even Better Than the Real Thing
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Until the End of the World
Lemon
Numb
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
The First Time
Dirty Day
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Miss Sarajevo
Discothèque
Staring At the Sun
Last Night On Earth
Please
If God Will Send His Angels
Mofo
Gone
The Hands That Built America
Electrical Storm

disc 2 (no particular order)
Alex Descends Into Hell for a Bottle of Milk / Korova I
Night and Day
Satellite Of Love
Salomé
Where Did It All Go Wrong
Lady With the Spinning Head
Can't Help Falling In Love (Triple Peaks Remix)
Paint It Black
Fortunate Son
Slow Dancing
Holy Joe
North and South of the River
Your Blue Room
Pop Muzik
Happiness Is a Warm Gun
I'm Not Your Baby
Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad

obviously, not all of these would fit, but they could have included more and omitted remixes and ATYCLB...

look how many they had to choose from!!!

Ah... the album that introduced me to a whole bunch of 80s classics in a time when I only had JT and AB on cassette!

:up:

I can see this thread quickly turning into a "bash the 90's Best Of". And while I am all for trashing that abomination that is the 90's Best Of, I will refrain and stay on topic.

The 80's Best of is great but it should have had Gloria. And we really could have done without "When Love Come to Town".

i wasn't bashing... i still like the 90s hits album...

i was just making conversation... just think there are a few more tracks they could have included to make it as AWESOME as the first best of...

truly, i don't think any other album has claimed more U2 fans...

most people i know nowadays found U2 with this record... and if they haven't, this record would definitely do them in...

not to bash the 90s album, but it could have held the same power very easily with just a couple of minor changes (include 2 of the 4: Lemon/Last Night On Earth/Who's Gonna Ride/Please) instead of BD and Stuck..

i think including BD had good intentions, but most people who bought the 90s album already had ATYCLB (at least the people i know) and wanted to get to know the nineties better, not get more Atyclb...

anyway, back on topic...

The inclusion of "The Unforgettable Fire" on this cd is in my opinion one of the best things they could have done!

COngrats on that one (i also thought it meant they would start playing it live... guess not!)

It was my third U2 CD and introduced me to pre-2000 (and 1990 for that matter) U2. I remember thinking what was all the fuss about Streets when I first heard it, and I loved Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Clawgrabber,

Don't worry, I wasn't accusing you of bashing the 90s album.

I agree with you that the 90's one could have been just as good or better if they had done it right. I think that is why it is so frustrating is because it was a missed opportunity.

hoodlem, gloria would have been a great inclusion... also maybe 11 o clock or Out Of Control...

agree with you about When Love...

it seems we both had the power of retrospect when they came out...

i started with U2 when I was 13 (Achtung Baby which explains my positive bias toward that album) and bought all their previous work promptly afterwards, and each follow up when it came out...

so i was there on release day for zooropa, passengers, pop, atyclb, etc

by the time the best of came out, i had already been a fan long enough to complain!!!

ha ha ha

but i didn't complain all that much. i think they really nailed it with the first best of, with When Love being the only really questionable choice.

more inclusion of earlier stuff could have been nice too, like hoodlem said with gloria

I think When Love Comes to Town has to be there. I like that song and Bono's vocals but I am one of the few :|

Desire... yeah, that one should not have been on the best-off. Never liked it and I think I'll never will.

And of course Gloria had to be there. But it is still one of my favourite CD's.

I think Gloria should've been included to represent the October album, ah perhaps after 'All I want is you' they should have put the live version of '40' , cause it's a very symbolic song of the 80's and the shows.

About Desire and WLCTT, there isn't any problem. They were singles, Desire was sucessful and it's a very known song, and WLCTT hit the charts in Europe and Australasia...

liamcool said:
Gloria wasn't on The Best Of because the October master tapes were apparently in really bad condition...and I haven't listened to the Best Of for ages, but is the version of October any different to the album version?

No.

I knew even before I opened the topic that namrkcuR would bash the '90s set.;) some people really need to freshen up;)

This is how I would have done it:

1.) 11 O' Clock Tick Tock (re-recorded)
2.) I Will Follow
3.) Out Of Control
4.) Gloria
5.) Sunday Bloody Sunday
6.) New Year's Day
7.) Pride (In The Name Of Love)
8.) The Unforgettable Fire
9.) Bad
10.) Where The Streets Have No Name
11.) I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
12.) With Or Without You
13.) Sweetest Thing (re-recorded)
14.) Desire
15.) Angel Of Harlem
16.) All I Want Is You

And, while I'm at it, the 90s...

1.) Where Did It All Go Wrong (re-recorded)
2.) The Fly
3.) Even Better Than The Real Thing
4.) Mysterious Ways
5.) One
6.) Until The End Of The World
7.) Numb
8.) Lemon
9.) Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
10.) Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
11.) Miss Sarajevo
12.) Discotheque
13.) Mofo
14.) Staring At The Sun
15.) Please
16.) The Ground Beneath Her Feet

Last edited:
namkcuR said:
Yesterday was November 4, and, and 'The Best Of 1980-1990 & B-Sides' - which I consider to be vastly superior to its 90s counterpart - was released on November 3/4(Europe/Rest Of World), 1998.

Happy Birthday to the disc that turned me from a U2 fan in the fall of 1998 to a U2 fanatic in the winter of 1998!

:heart:

:up:

Back
Top Bottom