Halle-Halle-Halleujah- a snippet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aski

Acrobat
hi!

i'm currently trying to dig a little deeper into all the great snippets Bono add at songs throughout the tours and shows.

he is btw a master at it in my opinion.

one tricky one was the harmonica-snippet he added at 2 Outside Broadcast shows, during Running To Stand Still (14.11.92 + 25.11.92).

finally i found out (with a little help from a friend), that it was an old hymn called "Shall We Gather At The River?".

probably inspired by the sermon Bono attended at San Diego 10.11.92 (just check the bootleg, where he talks a bit about it during Still Haven't Found).

now to my question;

does anyone know if the halle-halle-halleujah's at the end of Running (a regular during the Zoo Tv Tour) is taken from an original song (by someone else), or if it's only Bono improvising his own hallelujah's?

any suggestions would be welcome!

*dislaimer: anyone NOT named Axver might not have the accurate info on any snippets

I think the Zoo TV Halleluiah-ing is Bono improvising.

aski said:
one tricky one was the harmonica-snippet he added at 2 Outside Broadcast shows, during Running To Stand Still (14.11.92 + 25.11.92).

finally i found out (with a little help from a friend), that it was an old hymn called "Shall We Gather At The River?".

Oooh, I hadn't spotted that one! I'll have to dig out my bootlegs and check it for myself and add it to U2-Vertigo-Tour.com's archive (Matt and I try to check all that we can before putting it on the database). ZooTV RTSS on the European stadiums tour has always troubled me because of how damn hard it is to catch the snippet of The Doors' The End that crops up sometimes, but I didn't realise Bono had been doing snippets during the song earlier in the tour than that.

does anyone know if the halle-halle-halleujah's at the end of Running (a regular during the Zoo Tv Tour) is taken from an original song (by someone else), or if it's only Bono improvising his own hallelujah's?

We've had a bit of a discussion/debate on this forum about this before, and the upshot of it all is that Bono's improvising. Some have suggested that it is a snippet of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah (the song many here would know better as a Jeff Buckley track that Bono did sing after One on Popmart a few times), but it's sung completely differently in RTSS and it's unlikely at best that Bono is referencing the Cohen song.

Bono does the best Halle, Halle Hallejuahs! If it was song in churches like that everyone would be there!

I always thought that he made them up whenever the feeling hit. Like everything else he does it was probably inspired from somewhere. Where exactly might be hard to find out.

thanks for the info on the hallejuah-snippet.

being a big Jeff Buckley fan too, i'm pretty sure it's NOT the same Hallejuah that was originally written by Mr. Cohen.

as for the harmonica-snippet, i'm glad i could help out! (that snippet was a pain in the *ss for a long long time...)

;)

Yeah, definitely not the Cohen Hallelujah. I think it was made up. And brilliantly, if I might add.

I'm not sure if I misunderstood, but I don't necessarily think they're from Shall We Gather At the River, either. Unless you meant the harmonica melody, but I don't recognize that as being from that hymn, either. I'm pretty sure I still know how that one goes, and it doesn't ring a bell with what Bono's playing.

I was thinking the same thing about the hallelujahs during Beautiful Day on the Vertigo 5th leg.

Given snippet master Axver heard them first hand, i guess they don't count as a snippet. Sounded damn good though.

Back
Top Bottom