Grammy Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and the sweaters and teddy bears are a facade hiding the true gangster inside.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................(joke)...but you're right he is black ...........................................................................................................(just agreeing with you that he's black)

If Kanye threatens to shoot up the place, Bono should threaten to lecture up the place. Interesting to see which option they vote for then...

Earnie Shavers said:
If Kanye threatens to shoot up the place, Bono should threaten to lecture up the place. Interesting to see which option they vote for then...

:lol:

Shooting would be better for next year's ratings.

catlhere said:

I really don't think performing=bigger nod for the grammy. I think it's more performing RIGHT BEFORE the category is announced. Usually that means you're a lock for it, because they want fans to see what they picked as the winner i suppose. Also usually for the album of the year, or that type of stuff, dont they get all the performers nominated, so you can see all the nominees in action? Im not really sure if i interperated your point right, but yea, i responded cuz im nice! :D

You are a nice person, catlhere :up: :D

Now, it's just that I cannot recall when Paul McCartney was performing at the grammies the last time. This is not something he does very often (unlike U2). It could indicate that he's up for something big.

important question:
do you know if any european tv station is going to air the grammys ceremony?
thanx in advance

Lucas007 and other Europeans: the German TV station Pro 7 is broadcasting the Grammys at 2:00 AM.

ps: "song subject matter" and the old "big finish" arguments could be used against lots and lots of U2 songs. I guess the usual anti-Bomb quotas must be filled.

Last edited:
It's a lock that U2.MJB will be performing, and Edge will be performing alone in the tribute to New Orleans! Go edge Go!

U2girl said:
Lucas007 and other Europeans: the German TV station Pro 7 is broadcasting the Grammys at 2:00 AM.

Ugh. I'm in the Netherlands and i don't get Pro 7 either.

There is no stream of the grammys / CBS somewhere on the net?

I'm sorry I got impatient and didn't wait to see where else this discussion has gone....
ozeeko said:

hahaha this is fun.

It's not like I'm anti-U2, far from it actually. i just really dislike that song. Call me insensitive to other people's tastes, but I don't see how this song comes close to any of their classics. I think it's one of the worst off the album..if anything "Crumbs" or "Miracle Drug" I can see someone putting in their top ten....

I haven't found you to be insensitive to the point of offensiveness or anything, btw. Taste is taste...I just thought the comparison to an 80s power ballad was *wrong*, but what people feel are the same kinds of things are affected by taste I'm sure...
Like I said, "Sometimes" isn't my favorite off HTDAAB, nor is it in my top ten (I've never actually created one formally, so I can't be absolutely sure it wouldn't appear, but...) list of U2 songs. I really like "Sometimes", but when I sit and think about any list of truly brilliant U2 songwriting, it doesn't come to mind, like "Stay", "One", "Bad", and to a lesser degree "Gone" and "Stuck in a Moment" do (these being some of the ones thrown about in this thread...)

"Sometimes" takes forever to get where it's going. And when it does get there, what's at stake? "Operas!! In Bono!!"
:lol:
that's too funny! yes, indeed, operas in Bono are not news! :lol: the whole deal is very operatic, really, and I can certainly understand impatience with that. It's like he's pacing in the hospital room, a scene from this relationship, and this is the score and the libretto for it, this song. And it's maybe that exaggerated drama of opera, 'tis true. And, yes, I agree, it's maybe more 'particular' than a real 'old standard' might be. I am not sorry however that Bono didn't save it for the family archives, and of course it's meant to be more universal than 'here's what I said to my ol' man'. But it is very personal, and it's very unlike, imho, anything else they've done. I'm not arguing that this is a reason anyone should like it, btw!

Take a song like "Bad", a song that lyrically didn't convey much, but what it did convey was an attitude and an emotion. The lyrics for "Bad" are rather amateurish if you want to get tough about it. But they come alive with the music. If "Sometimes" was written about something other than Bono's father, I'm sure people would have a different opinion. You know what, it wouldn't even make it to the B-side stage. Because It's a less than mediocre song but it made the cut just because of it's content. Well I'm sorry, but that shit doesn't fool me.
I must say I don't really get this about the lyrics to "Bad" being amateurish or not conveying much?! I mean, it's not a 'narrative' type song, sure, but ...I'm a little puzzled by the point.
Are you saying that you think that lyrics to "Sometimes" are also 'amateurish', or "don't convey much", and that's your complaint/why your ears hurt listening to it?
Or is your main complaint that you don't like the way 'it takes forever to get where its going' and then the 'only' point is that Bono wants to say to this person "You're the reason the operas' in me"?
I kind of agree, by the way, about it taking a long time to get to a climax, but I don't have a problem with that precisely *because* of the subject matter--I think the song *conveys* the subject matter lyrically and musically. It's not a pretty little ditty, it wasn't a pretty little relationship, and I think the song beautifully conveys some of the looong-held frustrations, the desire for reconciliation, the anger *and* the tenderness, the hope *and* the resignation, and the irony of yelling the obvious in a great crescendo of mixed emotions. I don't think anyone was 'trying to fool you'; I think its structure and form and content are an organic whole, not some devised combo to pass off 'mediocre tunes/ideas' as album-worthy!

*And* I'll say once more it beats the crap out of the competition for song of the year this year!

cheers all...

edit: I like Kanye, by the way. I mean, I liked some stuff off his last one, I like that Gold Digger deal well enough, and I don't really listen to rap but I like his pink argyle, teddies, willingness to call for getting the homophobia out of rap (he did that didn't he?)...even admired him well for posing as jesus on rollingstone, and for the guts to stray from the script at the telethon!
If he wins, and I'm sure he'll win some stuff, I hope he says something interesting!

Last edited:
ozeeko said:
alright let's calm down........i was saying he's gonna shoot up the place because he is known to throw fits if he doesn't get his way (remember the source awards)

i highly doubt you would have said "he's gonna shoot up the place" if you were talking about a white artist who was known for "throwing fits"

classy :up:

Lila64 said:
in another thread, it was confirmed we were getting "One"

can someone explain the "Best Rock Performance" category for me?

They got nominated this year for "Sometimes You Can't Make It On your Own" in the "Best Rock Performance" category.
This performance was when they played it at the Grammy's last year, right?

That's why it seems odd to me that they would play Vertigo tonight (even though reports say they are). I doubt that they could be nominated next year for "Best Rock Performance" for One or Vertigo, right? (especially since Vertigo won that award last year)

Can they be nominated for a live performance from a DVD? Or does the "Best Rock Performance" have to be shown on TV?

Love & Peace from "shelter from the storm" would be a good example, but that was september 2005 and I don't think is eligible for next year, right?

Best Performance is for best performance on an audio recording - usually a single, although I think it could be a whole album too. I just find it funny that last year they were nominated for Vertigo and played Sometimes, and this year they are nominated for Sometimes and are reportedly playing Vertigo. :)

Pop Artist said:
Best Performance is for best performance on an audio recording - usually a single, although I think it could be a whole album too.

yeah, that's what weird.
Achtung Baby & The Joshua Tree both won that award!

So does that mean that any performance (such as in the studio) can win? So Native Son could potentially be nominated, even though it's never been played in public?

Is it confirmed that Vertigo will be played? It's bound to seem dated, unless they do something weird with it. In light of the worldwide muslim protests at the moment, I'd love to see them extend it with Love and Peace. That would be a statement.

angelordevil said:
Is it confirmed that Vertigo will be played? It's bound to seem dated, unless they do something weird with it. In light of the worldwide muslim protests at the moment, I'd love to see them extend it with Love and Peace. That would be a statement.

i totally agree!!

sadly, from @U2.com:
Update, Feb. 8: Word on the street is that U2 rehearsed "Vertigo" and "One" (with Mary J. Blige) on Tuesday, which would confirm previous reports that those are the songs U2 will play.

angelordevil said:
In light of the worldwide muslim protests at the moment, I'd love to see them extend it with Love and Peace. That would be a statement.

just listened to the "All Because of You" single...

just picturing U2 playing Miss Sarajevo tonight... oh well, we can always dream, right?

I'm just recalling U2's performance of Please at the MTV awards... THAT was bad-ass!

angelordevil said:

That would be great. Vertigo would be just very disappointing. Love and Peace all the way. Far, far better song for starters, extremely relevent, but I can't see them doing it. It should have been one of the first 2 or 3 singles, and in my opinion was their best shot to break through onto radio etc.

would be an honor for the grammys if U2 does play such a masterpiece as 'One
Should have been played at the 93'awards, but the band didn't show up

Vertigo and One :|

Sorry, but they could hardly have come up with a more shitty choice of songs, if this is true.

bort269 said:

i totally agree!!

sadly, from @U2.com:
Update, Feb. 8: Word on the street is that U2 rehearsed "Vertigo" and "One" (with Mary J. Blige) on Tuesday, which would confirm previous reports that those are the songs U2 will play.

Good. :up:

Means I don't have to watch! I loathe the Grammy's and hate having to wait ages just to see a few minutes of U2, but if U2's just going to play junk, I can keep listening to better music and read here to see if they won anything. :happy:

bort269 said:

hahahaha, U2Man.... I just read your Location.

welcome to the club!

Yeah, you guys are not the only ones whose flag is burned in certain regions of this world anymore :wink:

U2Man said:
Are the Grammies broadcasted in Australia anyway, Axver :scratch:

I don't know, and now I don't care! :happy:

(Well, I know there's usually something on at primetime, but I don't know if they're shown live earlier too.)

I was more referring to any kind of stream someone like gorman may do. But "don't have to watch" is quicker to type than "don't have to tune in to any stream that may or may not exist, and don't have to look in the TV guide to see if the Grammy's are being broadcast". :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom