Grammy Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
XHendrix24 said:

Hey Homer, lay off the Duff. :wink:

Seriously though, The Joshua Tree is a masterpiece. And while Achtung Baby is good, it simply can't touch JT. Not even close. Achtung has some really nice pop/rock tunes, but I'd take The Joshua Tree's sonic landscapes any day.
And truer words were never spoken on Interference again...

XHendrix24 said:

Hey Homer, lay off the Duff. :wink:

Seriously though, The Joshua Tree is a masterpiece. And while Achtung Baby is good, it simply can't touch JT. Not even close. Achtung has some really nice pop/rock tunes, but I'd take The Joshua Tree's sonic landscapes any day.

Delicious Duff aside, I do not consider JT a masterpiece. Most of the songs sound the same - they blend right into each other. This may create a nice "mood", but it doesn't create a brilliant album. The few exceptions to this, like "Bullet" and "Trip", are horrendous songs. I abhor "Trip" and feel it is the worst song U2 have ever made. "Bullet" was best during "PopMart" when it was "funked up" a bit. Otherwise, I've never really enjoyed this song - especially on the album (in concert it does come alive more).

So take your landscapes - I'll take diversity any day. Hence why AB and "Bomb" are my favorites (UF is the exception to this, but I like the "landscapes" on UF more than on JT).

Here's an interesting thought.

How would 'Album of the Year' effect U2's popularity? Surely there are thousands of "bandwagoners" out there that will be buying whatever album wins just because it is suposedly "the Best". Sales of HTDAAB will experience a boost for sure. How big of a boost would it be? How many new fans may come into the U2 fold that may not have otherwise?

doctorwho said:

But my point is that "Sometimes...", while not the juggernaut of "One" and perhaps not as catchy musically as "With or Without You", is similar to "Stay" and "Stuck" and "Running".

Wow, I would never in a million years compare "Sometimes.." with "Running to Stand Still." Is the good doctor on crack today? :wink:

Hoodlem said:
Here's an interesting thought.

How would 'Album of the Year' effect U2's popularity? Surely there are thousands of "bandwagoners" out there that will be buying whatever album wins just because it is suposedly "the Best". Sales of HTDAAB will experience a boost for sure. How big of a boost would it be? How many new fans may come into the U2 fold that may not have otherwise?

They'll get a big sales jump for sure, but not as much as if it were a debut artist or lesser known artist. It's not like there are many people left who are going to see a Grammy win and have a "Bloody hell. This 'U2' band, maybe I should check them out?" moment. I think it will be more along the lines of "I've been meaning to get that."

gherman said:

Fuck you shit head
Seriousbusiness2.jpg

gherman said:

Fuck you shit head

hahaha this is fun.

It's not like I'm anti-U2, far from it actually. i just really dislike that song. Call me insensitive to other people's tastes, but I don't see how this song comes close to any of their classics. I think it's one of the worst off the album..if anything "Crumbs" or "Miracle Drug" I can see someone putting in their top ten. At least they're halfway decent songs, and not BORING. Hell, even "Original Of The Species" which I really hate too, has a pulse to it. "Sometimes" takes forever to get where it's going. And when it does get there, what's at stake? "Operas!! In Bono!!" Take a song like "Bad", a song that lyrically didn't convey much, but what it did convey was an attitude and an emotion. The lyrics for "Bad" are rather amateurish if you want to get tough about it. But they come alive with the music. If "Sometimes" was written about something other than Bono's father, I'm sure people would have a different opinion. You know what, it wouldn't even make it to the B-side stage. Because It's a less than mediocre song but it made the cut just because of it's content. Well I'm sorry, but that shit doesn't fool me.

joyfulgirl said:

Wow, I would never in a million years compare "Sometimes.." with "Running to Stand Still." Is the good doctor on crack today? :wink:

Running to Stand Still is one of my fave U2 songs.

I don't really have a point to this response. Just want to show off my new found skill of using the quotes correctly

ozeeko said:

Running to Stand Still is one of my fave U2 songs.

I don't really have a point to this response. Just want to show off my new found skill of using the quotes correctly

One of my favorites, too. Well done on the quotes. :up:

STING2 said:
I consider "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" to be one of the 10 greatest U2 songs of all time. I hope it wins, and I was disapointed that it did not get nominated for Record Of The Year. At least its nominated for Song Of The Year.

HTDAAB is the greatest album of the past 10 years in my opinion and so of course I hope that it wins. I also consider to be U2's 3rd best album right behind Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.

:up:

When the industry votes for the album of the year grammy, does the Atomic Bomb on the ballot come WITH or WITHOUT Fast Cars? Is it an 11 or 12 track album they're voting on?

Earnie Shavers said:
I find the end forced, the first 3/4 painfully boring and uninspiring. The subject matter and the feeling behind it is hard to argue, obviously, but he's been far more elequent and even poetic in interviews on the topic and I highly doubt that those are the words he would choose if really having the conversation, with the lyrics seemingly brought down to a level that allows a 14 year old to wrap them around any situation in their life.

Along with Original of the Species, it's U2's furthest foray into flat out Adult Contemporary schmaltz

It, to me, is not a shadow on One, Stay, With or Without You, Running to Stand Still etc and it's virtually offensive to those songs that they are mentioned in the same thread.

:applaud:

After reading so much of how people love this song, I have tried so hard to see what I wasn't 'getting' about it, but its true. Its a fine song, but truly boring. Auto-Pilot U2.....like the result of a computer simulation of what a 'crowd pleasing-emotive-singalong-deep maaan' U2 song would be....

..and it is given a bullet-proof alibi because of its subject matter. Which, it does not deserve.

A decent song sure, and always good to see the boys do well, but by no means is this 'song of the year'.

neither is 'Atomic Bomb' Album of the year. Really, if you look deep, its true. I always like to see them win, but the Grammy award nominees really have become a joke.....hopefully they'll at least try and regain some credibility by letting Kanye win, it would be robbery for anyone else to.

:|

LemonAid said:

:applaud:

After reading so much of how people love this song, I have tried so hard to see what I wasn't 'getting' about it, but its true. Its a fine song, but truly boring. Auto-Pilot U2.....like the result of a computer simulation of what a 'crowd pleasing-emotive-singalong-deep maaan' U2 song would be....

..and it is given a bullet-proof alibi because of its subject matter. Which, it does not deserve.

A decent song sure, and always good to see the boys do well, but by no means is this 'song of the year'.

neither is 'Atomic Bomb' Album of the year. Really, if you look deep, its true. I always like to see them win, but the Grammy award nominees really have become a joke.....hopefully they'll at least try and regain some credibility by letting Kanye win, it would be robbery for anyone else to.

:|

Kanye is crap.

Bomb isn't the best record U2 have ever put out but it's a hell of a lot better than the other nominees. Although Bomb is better live.

if all the nominees are shit, then who cares? In this case I want to see Mariah Carey win. It's the Grammy's, people!! Doesn't mean anything!! "Achtung Baby" lost to Eric Clapton's Unplugged Album! You see? Creativity and credibility don't mean anything. It's all political. In all honesty, Kanye West will win. Not because he deserves it- it's because he threatened to shoot up the place. That's right.

Kanye is most definitely not crap. His new album is the most deserving of the AOTY award in my opinion. I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I don't understand how someone could call Kanye crap with the music he creates. :shrug:

If a hip-hop fan said U2 was crap, people would accuse them of having no ear for music, shit taste, etc etc.

But I'll just say, hey to each their own. Hopefully people aren't judging artists based on the presumption that all "Rap" is no talent garbage. Because it isn't.

Yes because we all know the most hardcore of gangsters wear pink sweater-vests
KWPink.gif

And use teddy bears as their mascots.
KWBear.jpg

:wink:

ozeeko said:
In all honesty, Kanye West will win. Not because he deserves it- it's because he threatened to shoot up the place. That's right.
uh :huh: i know you're not saying that because he's a rapper or because he's black, etc.

he's so not gangster, it's funny.

i'm sick of seeing all the drama in this thread. everyone cut it out or i'm closing this. i've said something twice now and i won't warn you guys a third time.

alright let's calm down........i was saying he's gonna shoot up the place because he is known to throw fits if he doesn't get his way (remember the source awards)

I guess the Jesus Christ necklace and a song about his "Mama" must be hiding a diabolical evil genius underneath. :wink:

I hope the Grammy goes to U2, even if I think logically Kanye deserves it more. If U2 don't win though, then I want kanye to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom