Got ZooTV DVD today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Got ZooTV DVD today

Peterrrrr said:

Well they could have done the sound much clearer, so for an example Bonos voice sounded higher.

Wait...is the mix on the DVD the same as the VHS, then? Like... in Until the End of the World and NYD, does Edge's guitar still seem entirely too low?

Cos if that's the case, they should all be fired.

T

Re: Re: Re: Re: Got ZooTV DVD today

tommycharles said:

Wait...is the mix on the DVD the same as the VHS, then? Like... in Until the End of the World and NYD, does Edge's guitar still seem entirely too low?

Cos if that's the case, they should all be fired.

T
In that case I don't want to spend money on it, I don't care about better video quality, the one thing that annoyed me most on the ZooTV VHS was the bad sound, Bono's voice is very unclear and Edge's guitar too.

If they didn't improve that I'm leaving the bucks in my pocket.

It does sound ridiculous if they haven't improved it at all.

If not, they can hardly complain when they get accusations of going on a money making exercise.

:bump:
I think it will be great

This review leaves a little to be desired.. I am sure it will be awesome. Besides who knows what stereo he has played it on..
He was probably playing it in 5.1 on a 2 speaker stereo and it sounded silly

I plan to blow the roof off my house with my Harmon Kardon amp, Active woofer and Standing and surround speakers :bonodrum: :applaud: :D

Last edited:
LyricalDrug said:

What does fullscreen mean? For widescreen / HDTVs, does it fit the whole screen, like the Vertigo Chicago DVD does?

Sorry for all the questions! :)

Full screen is your standard 4:3 ratio, like normal TVs and some monitors. Widescreen is the 16:9 ratio that fits a widescreen TV, or has black bars on the top and bottom for a fullscreen TV.

topplehatU2 said:

Full screen is your standard 4:3 ratio, like normal TVs and some monitors. Widescreen is the 16:9 ratio that fits a widescreen TV, or has black bars on the top and bottom for a fullscreen TV.

Thanks for the info.

Well, crap. I was REALLY hoping for a 16:9 version.

How ironic - a ZooTV DVD that *isn't* on the cutting edge of technology!

:giggle:

Michael Griffiths said:

2006_Zoo_Tv_DVD_01.jpg

And...

2006_Zoo_Tv_DVD_02.jpg

Not that I haven't seen them before, but God, those pictures are badass.

I will watch the show for myself and see if the "sound" is bad or not. I still dont see how the concert can be bad if they were able to put enough into it to get DTS sound so I assume the sound has been remastered from the original. None the less I expected the first review to be a negative one....just had the feeling you know.

Again I don't think my question was answered , Was this DVD tested it's sound with a Home Theather ? Coz I don't see it sounding bad like this

I would expect the sound to be rather crap...it was on the vhs, ditto on the pay per view. I'm guessing the acoustics or whatever were just lousy...ah well :(

Everything anyone ever wanted to know about the new Zoo TV DVD is written in this excellent review:

http://www.u2tour.de/specials/dvd_zoo_tv_sydney_review_EN.php

Here's an excerpt on the sound:

"Sound
The sound is available in Dolby Digital 2.0 (Linear PCM Sound), Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS. The DolbyDigital 5.1 track has been mixed to a high standards. Bono’s voice is very clear, and distinctly recognisable through the centre speakers – the echo of his voice is merely recognisable from the left and right speakers. Where Edge’s voice joins in, this also only comes from the left and right speaker, creating a great spatial sound. The instruments are clear and distinct, as is Larry’s cymbal. The audience during breaks comes from the four speakers left and right. The mix of the DTS track is somewhat more quiet, as usual, but has the same spatial sound as the DolbyDigital track."

With all that said, if Dirty Day, Crashed Car, Lemon and Love is Blindness is that much better on DVD, I really don't know if I could stand it.
I will get the DVD just because it will last longer - but I've loved this concert it in it's original format and I'm sure that's not going to change.
Then again I haven't seen the DVD, but I will soon.:drool:

The description of the sound on that website was a lot more descrptive then what the person gave here and I think the was also a sound analysis that looked decent to me.

Anyone seen this on usenet or anything yet?

Peterrrrr said:
Don't want to complain, but it could have feature more bonus material and the sound on the concert could have been better.

But hey! It still a very good show :)

I've heard it on a properly set up and aligned home theatre system -- If you have a 5.1 playback system that is set up halfway correctly, then there is no way you won't think this sounds great. Good top and low end, great separation, just sounds fantastic to me. I didn't think the guitars sounded down in the mix on either End Of the World or NY Day.
And it looks fantastic.

I'm only buying this because I want Love Is Blindness in high quality audio and the TELEVISION!!! thing.

If the choice was between this and the Milan DVD, I would have chosen the Milan DVD, though :madspit:

n060912_03.jpg

n060912_04.jpg

Quite ironic that one of the pics of the inside hardcover , is Bono doing UltraViolet , when it's not on the dvd

Back
Top Bottom