From Entertainment Weekly Online...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa140

Babyface
Did U2 sell out at the Super Bowl? While thankful for Bono and Co.'s revivifying patriotism, Chris Willman wonders if true artists should become football cheeerleaders

When the news broke that U2 would constitute the half-time show at this year's Super Bowl, reactions on music industry bulletin
boards and fan sites essentially broke down into two camps. There were those who rose to wonder if there's anything the band wouldn't do in the service of selling out these days, finding the Super Bowl appearance a particularly onerous example of their
lowering themselves. Then there was the camp that was incredulous that anyone could even have a problem with it. What a great opportunity! At last, some real music at a major sports event, instead of that boy band crap. A TD for all concerned... right?

The split is probably indicative of a generation gap as much as any deep philosophical rift. Though I tend to count to three before I use the words ''sell out'' in connection with anything in pop music, I identify a little more with the first, more wary camp, which may be a function of integrity or just age -- take your pick, sonny.

When I was a teenager in the mid-'70s, kids generally divided into either ''jocks'' or ''freaks,'' and if you loved T. Rex, David Bowie, Mott the Hoople, or the Allman Brothers Band, it was a given -- at least at my school -- that you would eschew sports, the military, and anything else that required wearing serious headgear preventing one's freak flag from flying. Me, I was a major-league pipsqueak sports hound until the age of 12, when I discovered the
(already broken-up, alas) Beatles; at that point, like some kind of religious convert, I completely stopped reading the sports page,
subscribed to Crawdaddy, Circus, and Rock Scene, and never looked back. I confess to being a little bit nostalgic for a time when
those stereotypical divisions were so easily arrived at, but obviously a world in our nation's youth are allowed to simultaneously dig the Strokes and excel at track and field is a much better one.

Yet, as much as I've become accustomed to the seemingly happy betrothal of rock and sports, I'm still capable of feeling a queasy
feeling in the pit of my stomach when I hear that one of the great bands is showing up to pass the time between quarters at the
NBA Finals -- to cite one recent stop on U2's ongoing promotional tour. It's okay for Britney or even Aerosmith to show up and shill at the Super Bowl; these people don't see themselves as anything other than entertainers, and seem well within the tradition of Up With People halftime shows I remember from my youth.

But I get nervous seeing a band that wants to change the world -- and has the power to reach hearts -- relegating themselves to a subsidiary position to the spectacle of brawn. No matter what the viewing audience and impact, a group that plays a halftime show is essentially an opening act to the Patriots and Rams. Intermission music. Should a song as divinely inspired as ''Where the Streets Have No Name'' be relegated to the same category and function as ''Let's Go Out to the Lobby''? Do we want to hear Bono singing about matters of life and death with a scroll underneath reading ''five minutes till showtime, folks''?

My reservations weren't exactly qualmed by seeing one of my old heroes, Paul McCartney, out on the field before the game, trying to
breathe some last bit of commercial life into ''Freedom,'' the awful post-9/11 anthem that literally no one -- and I do mean literally, so far as I've been able to ascertain in my non-scientific polling -- doesn't dread with a passion. McCartney was accompanied by a
league of flag-twirling cheerleaders; the telecast's editors seemed to be trying to find edits and angles that would cut away from the spectacle of all these grinning young faces, as if they were making
the number embarrassingly hokey. Perhaps the show's director didn't realize that some Busby Berkeley-style choreography is
about the only thing that could save that tune.

Now, another confession: Once U2 took the makeshift stage, all my compunctions vanished. The three-song mini-set was nothing
us fans hadn't seen before, but somehow, sharing it with the rest of America -- at least the part of the country that wasn't switching over to the Playmate action on another network -- made the
moment more galvanizing, familiar or not. It was as if we were in need of one more interfamilial grace note after the mass appeal mourning-to-celebration of ''A Tribute to Heroes'' last September, and the Super Bowl was the only platform that could have
provided that communal an experience.

For a minute, I almost thought U2 would rightfully stand as the true climax of the evening, with the game as figurative opening
act, regardless of the order of appearance. Of course, that was before the suspense of the last quarter rendered this a game for
the ages, as well. In any case, my resistance to rock as a sporting event lull-filler was definitely lowered... even if I expect that
queasy feeling to come back as soon as Dylan signs up to serenade the fans heading for the concession stands at the next NASCAR championship.

Now it's your turn. How do you feel about the great rockers offering themselves up as halftime cheerleaders?

I was very skeptical about this one before it happened. Part of that had to do with the "enter stage left riding Harleys" rumor, but part was the idea that U2 would grace the same stage that had lowered itself so far in recent years.
As an example, I give you Aerosmith, who used to be a quality rock band. The superbowl last year was the culmination of their slide down the slippery slope to pop trash. Oh, that slide began with their music ("I don't want to miss a thing"), but it ended up with one of the *better* rock bands in the last 30 years onstage with N*sync. From Back in the Saddle to Britney Spears. What a waste.
That was the stage U2 was about to take, and I was afraid that the cheese, the hokeyness, the pure American schlock would drag them down, too.

I was wrong.

Instead of being dragged down, they dragged that stage up a little. Gave it a bit of respect, and in the process, made Sir Paul look like another victim of the Superbowl. That's an unfortunate by-product, but the end result is still positive. After making the world safe for rock & roll, U2 has now made the Superbowl safe for rock & roll.

Oh, and $10 says that Creed signs up for the halftime show next year!

-Mike

I was very excited when I heard U2 would be the halftime at the Superbowl! I don't see anything wrong with it and honestly, the only band I know that might turn down the spot would be Pearl Jam since their one of the few artist that don't make video's for what I consider to be strange reasons.
People don't realize that U2 went on all kinds of TV specials back in the early days in Europe.
Also, a lot of people from around the world tuned into see U2, and the Super Bowl really was the opening act. In addition, there are many people who may only listen to country or other top 40 radio stations that rarely play U2 if at all. This gives them an oportunity to see U2.
Why would any artist turn down the Super Bowl come to think of it? Your signed to a major label, try to get your song played as much as possible on the radio, play shows on concert tours, and make video's, in addition to TV shows. Why is the Super Bowl taboo?

There was a letter to the editor in the paper today from a viewer who found the half-time show "offensive" and felt it should have been more somber instead of people jumping up and down with "racuous" music. He wrote that it should have been a "patriotic" show and the names should have been shown with more reverence than just letting it fall down to the ground.

Realized so many people, especially older people that have no idea of U2's songs, or even U2, probably didn't get any of it. How many knew that was MLK? Or what Streets is about?

Whoever wrote that first letter comes off as a self-indulgent pile of crap, yet honest in their youth portrail as a geek
mad.gif

I hafe to admit - I didn't like the news about U2 at superbowl - I amediately thought of Aerosmith....

but I had some faith - and my faith prooved right - they did something that no other band could - they preformed the best superbowl halftime ever, they sung live, they were the sole perfomers and many years will go by until we see a halftime like that...

and, by the way, all the critics in papers loved them...

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

I thought that was a thoughtful and honest article. I had the same concerns this guy expressed, and when I watched the performance I liked it but I wasn't blown away. Last night I watched it again and to be honest, it kind of turned me off...or, made me uncomfortable, seeing this great band at the Superbowl. I don't know. I still have mixed feelings about it. Doesn't change the big picture of how I feel about U2 in the least, but I just wasn't terribly comfortable with the whole thing. I'm glad that most of the feedback I've heard has been positive, though.

Back
Top Bottom