Fricken A - this album is AMAZING

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I say it's better than JT. Just below AB in my book. I can't stay away from it for more than 2-3 days.

Yes it does pay to take a break from the album for a few weeks time and when you do that it sounds absolutely amazing, ive done that recently myself as well, bring on the tour!

It is very amazing. It ranks only beneath Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree, as far as I am concerned. :)

it's not top 3...not yet anyway.

1.Achtung Baby
2.Pop
3.Joshua Tree
4.Zooropa
5.TIE: HTDAAB/Boy

As far as I'm concerned.

I'd certainly rank it third at this point, after Joshua Tree then Achtung Baby. I might put ATYCLB fourth, followed possibly by Boy or Unforgettable Fire.

neutral said:

If this thread bores you so much, I'm sure you can find others that are of more interest to you.

Well put.

Getting back on topic, I haven't been listening to the album a lot lately either (the iTunes shuffle is to blame in my case as well :lol: ). But last night, while I was lying in bed, I just got the urge to put on HTDAAB. Miracle Drug gave me chills. In light of Edge's comment at the Grammy's, it just put a whole different spin on the song. I even got a bit teary eyed during his vocal section. Same for Sometimes. In fact, the entire album gave me goosebumps.

In my mind, it is, without a doubt, U2's third masterpiece.

neutral said:

If this thread bores you so much, I'm sure you can find others that are of more interest to you.

I'll liven the fuc#er up. Its up there, it certainly is...... I would say only Achtung Baby, Pop, Joshua Tree, Zooropa, UF, ATYCLB and maybe Rattle & Hum beat HTDAAB!:wink:

GibsonGirl said:

In my mind, it is, without a doubt, U2's third masterpiece.

Agreed...ranks just below Achtung Baby and Pop for me :D I was listening to some of it today too, and it really is a truly fantastical album. Love and Peace or Else...so badass. Miracle Drug...classic U2. A Man and a Woman has really grown on me lately; I put it on one of my playlists...I have One Step Closer on another playlist, so the two songs I originally listened to least are probably the ones I've listened to most now. The amazing thing about HTDAAB is that there is not a single weak track. Every track is great. Even the bonus Fast Cars is great. And if Mercy is any indication...well...just imagine what the next album will be :huh: perhaps...their best ever?

I hadn't played it for a while, and then a thread on this board inspired me to make a custom HTDAAB. Since then, I've been playing all the HTDAAB songs a lot (sometimes in order, sometimes out), and it is just getting better. My current ranking of albums:

1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
3. The Joshua Tree
4. Boy
5. Zooropa
6. October

Axver said:
I hadn't played it for a while, and then a thread on this board inspired me to make a custom HTDAAB. Since then, I've been playing all the HTDAAB songs a lot (sometimes in order, sometimes out), and it is just getting better. My current ranking of albums:

1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
3. The Joshua Tree
4. Boy
5. Zooropa
6. October

Still with the Achtung hating, huh? :wink:

2Hearts said:
I say it's better than JT. Just below AB in my book. I can't stay away from it for more than 2-3 days.

I realize that I'm quoting myself, but I meant to qualify that statement by saying War is my #1.

So:

1. War
2. Achtung
3. How to Dismantle
4. Joshua Tree
5. Zooropa
6. ATYCLB

I just can't put Boy or October ahead of any other albums. They are really good, but not as great as those that came afterwards, IMO.

namkcuR said:

Still with the Achtung hating, huh? :wink:

Hah, no, I like Achtung quite a lot! It probably comes in seventh. I just haven't really worked out the rest of the list.

My ranking of the albums SO FAR is as so...

Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
All That You Can't Leave Behind
POP
Boy
Zooropa (I *really* love this album, too)
War
Rattle & Hum
The Unforgettable Fire (sorry, I know I'm in the minority on this one)
October

And that's all she wrote...:wink:

Last edited:
HTDAAB is the freakin' BOMB!! Awesome----that's the best cliche I've come up with all day. Time will only be kind to this album. This jewel is a blueprint for actionable hope. Unfortunately, nobody will care. Good news---That gives the album more long term relevance. The piecers will use this to become masters and the masters will all want a piece.

Axver said:

Hah, no, I like Achtung quite a lot! It probably comes in seventh. I just haven't really worked out the rest of the list.

Wow that is some ALTERNATIVE list to have Achtung Baby coming in at number 7. You really are quite unique in that selection!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

Wow that is some ALTERNATIVE list to have Achtung Baby coming in at number 7. You really are quite unique in that selection!:wink:

Even I was shocked when one of my friends placed Achtung dead LAST on his list of U2 albums. So I respect the album!

rjhbonovox said:

I love lists. I particularly love ALTERNATIVE lists. They compile everything that is unlistable and rank them. Oh wait, THAT'S not alternative. I hate lists. I'm too cool for lists. Hmmm, I wonder what the top 10 reasons lists suck are? I'm gone!

It really is a great album, but it will take a bit of time for music fans in general to see this IMO, because the album is still so new.

Theres only one song I'd definitely boot off and thats Yahweh, Mercy is infinitely superior to me:)

Its insane. It came out in Nov. and I still haven't gotten sick of it yet. The only track I got sick of was of course "vertigo" because of the itunes commercial, but after putting it away for a month or so, it's back in my playlist :wink:

I listen to songs off the bomb everyday, and listen to the whole thing straight at least once every few days.

Very strange. Usually u2 albums need to grow on me for awhile, sometimes even a real long time (Zooropa took a couple years...now it's a favorite), but this album was an instant classic to me. Brilliant record.

Back
Top Bottom