Fox News rates HTDAAB #1 album of 2004...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diane L said:

I agree with this statement. I am still annoyed by EW's stupidity regarding this album.

As for Fox News naming it the #1 album, what's that saying about a blind pig finding an acorn every once in a while....:angel: This is probably the only time I've agreed with Fox News!!!

I though EW gave the album a good review and ranked it amongst the year's best. :confused: Can you clarify?

But even if EW did give HTDAAB a bad review, I'm not shocked. For years, they seemed to have had an anti-U2 stance. Maybe U2 refuses to grant them an interview, so they rip on them. Not all reviews are unbiased and fair - many are "political" (not in terms of government, but at getting back at people).

wolfwill23 said:

i fucking hate ignorant retards

lol. funny you say that considering you ignored my gracious use of the ":wink: " smiley.

in the words of pee wee herman: "i know you are, but what am i?"

Zoocoustic said:

Listen to yourself.

You just said that about a list that U2 reached #1 on.

uh, so? i like u2, but i'll be the first to admit there were a ton of other bands who put out albums equal to if not better than theirs.

doctorwho said:

I though EW gave the album a good review and ranked it amongst the year's best. :confused: Can you clarify?

But even if EW did give HTDAAB a bad review, I'm not shocked. For years, they seemed to have had an anti-U2 stance. Maybe U2 refuses to grant them an interview, so they rip on them. Not all reviews are unbiased and fair - many are "political" (not in terms of government, but at getting back at people).

HTDAAB was given a B, and wasn't on this year's Top Ten of the main music critic (David Browne?) in EW. Another critic did list it as the #8 best album of the year. I was especially struck by EW's attitude towards Joseph Arthur, who had their #1 album in 2000 (U2 was second), and had the 2nd best album in 2004.

On their music chart, EW seems to frame U2 comments as "they sold blah-blah fewer albums this week than last."

Feh,

If most people buy music based solely on what EW or FoxNews considers to be "the best of the bunch", then the industry is in far more trouble than the ratings indicate.

For me, when I look for musical opinions, I don't get it from either of these two outlets.

Chile

mikal said:

lol. funny you say that considering you ignored my gracious use of the ":wink: " smiley.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that the truth is you do actually hate republicans, Fox News, Bush, etc..., but you chose to use a smiley in an attempt to soften the inflammatory nature of your statement.

If I'm wrong, tell me and I'll gladly apologize, but if it really is how you feel, then I don't see the point in debating what exactly your wink smiley was meant to convey.

On the other hand, if you're not really taking any of this seriously and you're just doing it to get a rise out of people, then I guess congratulations are in order.

I like that their list had Snow Patrol and Elvis Costello (and U2). The rest I disagree with. I wonder why they don't have American Idiot? :sexywink: . Oh yeah, Fox news. It is a bit curious that U2 got such praise from Fox News AND the Wall Street Journal. But still, any praise is welcome. :up:

TheFirstBigW said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that the truth is you do actually hate republicans, Fox News, Bush, etc..., but you chose to use a smiley in an attempt to soften the inflammatory nature of your statement.

If I'm wrong, tell me and I'll gladly apologize, but if it really is how you feel, then I don't see the point in debating what exactly your wink smiley was meant to convey.

On the other hand, if you're not really taking any of this seriously and you're just doing it to get a rise out of people, then I guess congratulations are in order.

you're wrong. i don't hate anyone. i just like to joke around.

mikal said:

you're wrong. i don't hate anyone. i just like to joke around.
Well, then I apologize for making that assumption
I guess the only thing that's bothering me is that you don't seem to be concerned about the people who you've offended in this thread (i.e.- Headache in a Suitcase seemed to be hurt by your joke [unless his tearful smilie was also a joke]).

TheFirstBigW said:

Well, then I apologize for making that assumption
I guess the only thing that's bothering me is that you don't seem to be concerned about the people who you've offended in this thread (i.e.- Headache in a Suitcase seemed to be hurt by your joke [unless his tearful smilie was also a joke]).

in that case you're correct. the way i look at it, if someone can't handle a joke on an internet forum, then there's something beneath the surface that needs to be attended to. in that case, i would wish them the best of luck. :)

UnforgettableLemon said:
Oh yeah, Fox news. It is a bit curious that U2 got such praise from Fox News AND the Wall Street Journal. But still, any praise is welcome. :up:

I think the reason you see publications such as this willing to openly praise U2 is because of Bono's classy manner in which he addresses political issues.

What was it that the singer in Coldplay said? "While everyone else is out there bashing Bush, Bono is rubbing his shoulders and getting a million dollars for Africa." Something to that extent.

The point is that Bono is approaches politics in such a way that both sides truly feel he is sincere and trying to make a difference - not just doing things to get attention. Hence, Fox News puts them at #1.

Zoocoustic said:

The point is that Bono is approaches politics in such a way that both sides truly feel he is sincere and trying to make a difference - not just doing things to get attention. Hence, Fox News puts them at #1.

or maybe fox news liked the album and put it at #1.

Funny....if this was a NY TIMES article praising U2, somehow I don't think there would be as much heat as there is because it's from FOX....... So much for "tolerance and acceptance."

I can't believe that people really think that Fox News is some monolithic entity intent on spreading hatred and war upon the world. Well, as PT Barnum said, there's one born every minute.

The Disciple said:
Funny....if this was a NY TIMES article praising U2, somehow I don't think there would be as much heat as there is because it's from FOX....... So much for "tolerance and acceptance."

well, the only problem is that, well, fox sucks.

Its great to see Snow Patrol get some recognition, even if it is from Fox (grrrrr!) and they chose to lump them in with the bland band that is Keane. How are Snow Patrol doing in the US does anybody know?

Zoomerang96 said:

well, the only problem is that, well, fox sucks.

Great, extremely thought-out articulate point. (Yeah, right.) I dislike the NY Times for their overtly left slant in their NEWS reporting, I don't care how they handle Editorials, but it's funny how supposedly "tolerant" people can attack things they don't agree with as "sucking."

Zoomerang96 said:
there is nothing in mainstream american news that is "overtly left".

Sure. If you buy that, I have some ocean-front property in Kansas that I would like to sell you.

Zoomerang96 said:
there is nothing in mainstream american news that is "overtly left".

No kidding. But there are enough people saying "The media is very left wing" that people actually believe it. The same way they believed that Kerry is a liberal. He isn't, he's center...right of center actually. But there are enough people saying he's extremely liberal that many people actually believe it. Say it often enough and it becomes true (even if it isn't).

And the Fox list is a pretty pathetic list. Some really bad "artists" on it.

The Disciple said:

Sure. If you buy that, I have some ocean-front property in Kansas that I would like to sell you.

omg!!11 wut r u smokin?!?! dere's no ocean in kansas!!!11

why is it that the "peace and love" liberals spew out the most venomous and and hateful posts?

just an observation.

Back
Top Bottom