For all those spanners who reckon U2 are sellouts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Saracene:
Wasn't Aussie dollar much stronger during ZooTV and POPMart?

it was, and I dont mind people saying U2 skipped aus cos of money, but I do mind people making it sound like they were doing us a favour by avoiding us.

Originally posted by lazyboy:

Now I never agreed with the idiots who freaked at U2 "selling out" with Elevation, cos it was on the bloody soundtrack! To me it was the same as UTEOTW being used in the Wim Wenders film of the same name.

Yep.

Of course, you dont see it from the other side of the world. Unless you are one of those dedicated well learned fans who fly half way across the world to be in a place where they arent touring, just to see what it feels like to see a band you idolise skip you becuase they cant make enough money out of visiting you.

This shows they are still here for the music, but money does matter to them.

couple of quick thoughts...

1. Moby allowed his music to be used by advertisers because the radio was not playing his singles. After people heard his music on tv and asked "who is that?" was when he started getting album sales and play on the radio.

Sting used the same strategy when his album Brand New Day didn't sell well. He allowed Jaguar to use that song (which I cannot remember right now) with the Indian singer in it for an ad. Suddenly, his music started selling.

I think the whole "sellout" thing is a little stupid. If you want to get your music heard, you have to make some concessions these days. Unless you want to play the "woe is me I'm the poor intelectual underground rockstar living on water and heroin because the big bad music corporation won't play my music whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" crap. I'm not saying the music corporations are good. They're not. But U2 WANTED and still WANTS to have their music played and be popular and they are now willing to make some concessions that they wouldn't have 10 or 20 years ago because the TIMES HAVE CHANGED. It is not 1981 or 1991 folks, it's 2002, and the fact is, things have changed and what was once deemed "selling out" is now standard practice and you have two choices in life, you either waste your energy fighting the process and getting nowhere, or you find a way to accomplish your goals within the process while not losing your integrity. I think U2 has done that, and will continue to do that, even if they have some of their songs in ads.

I really can't see them allowing Sunday Bloody Sunday for a tampax ad for example. But ya never know......

Awww, dizzy is proud of her Irish boys.
biggrin.gif

Only someone like Dr. Who would use so lame arguments to disagree, as long as I know, at least around the world, Popmart tickets were cheaper than most of Elevation, and if you can't find where the sounds of ATYCLB are comming, my god man, you are deaf, about aerosmith, very smart comment, surelly someone else is the one that has it in his mind
wink.gif
So saying that ZOO TV and Popmart are closer to NSYNC certainly shows how much you understand what U2 is all about.
And as long as I know any Best of is cheaper to produce and will have good earnings, in this case I think U2 was forced after poor Popmart performance in tha USA, thank you for the support.
Only a selfish will use those comments to justify that U2 will not go to countries with lower economic levels.
For your information this places most of the time sellout faster than any USA city.
You better do some research before trying to look cool in this forum, as is the case with some others.
I wonder if U2 do an album that resembles Achtung Baby or Pop, and if the next tour goes back, to what they once called progress, and a way of giving back a good show for the money. Will you be there?

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

Originally posted by rafmed:
You better do some research before trying to look cool in this forum, as is the case with some others.

You're telling doctorwho he should do more research? There is no one here who knows more about the business side of U2 than DoctorWho.

Seems to me you're just pissed off cause U2 didn't go to wherever your from. So they didn't go to your country. Big shit, deal with it. Not all bands make a stop in Montreal, I just deal with it, I don't think they're sell outs just because they didn't stop here. If you think they're such sell outs, I suggest you stop listening to them, Instead of having all this hatred for the band.

I wouldn't want to be in U2's shoes. With fans like you, they can never do right. Name one band that comes close to U2's integrity. They've never even used a Tour Sponsor, something which is considered normal these days. But that's not enough for people like you.

In your eyes, unless they work for free, they're selling out. You need to understand something. U2 members are human. They are not god, jesus or Mother Teresa. They will never make everyone happy, especially people like you.

Of course I didn't enjoyed they not comming here, but that is no problem for me, I have seen them perform enough times, hmm, ok never is enough of U2. To be honest, I could be more bored for young fans that had the hope of watching U2 live, which to me are some of the best experiences I has ever had.

I don't know if DrWho knows or not, but if someone think U2 did a favor to Oz and Latin america fans for not touring ths places, or that they would lose money, well, its laughable.

Actually i woud say the same to you, U2 are humans, and as you and me, can make it good or wrong, now if people expect that this forum is only to praise them and threat them like gods, well then it will be very narrow, and I have all the right of listen to whatever I want, and also I have all the right to have my opinion, no matter if it bothers anyone, and I have arguments to support it, right or wrong, but it seems that some can just debate through sarcasm.

I have to let one thing clear, I love U2 music, there is nothing close to it in my opinion, I would see u2 perform in a 200,000 people stadium or in a parking lot or in a garage, they are the best, period, and I will still be buying U2 albums even before release date as I has been able to do since achtung baby.

If anyone think that someone its not a fan because one can question some things, well, then lets forget the purpouse of this forum.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

Originally posted by rafmed:
Only someone like Dr. Who would use so lame arguments to disagree, as long as I know, at least around the world, Popmart tickets were cheaper than most of Elevation, and if you can't find where the sounds of ATYCLB are comming, my god man, you are deaf, about aerosmith, very smart comment, surelly someone else is the one that has it in his mind
wink.gif
So saying that ZOO TV and Popmart are closer to NSYNC certainly shows how much you understand what U2 is all about.
And as long as I know any Best of is cheaper to produce and will have good earnings, in this case I think U2 was forced after poor Popmart performance in tha USA, thank you for the support.
Only a selfish will use those comments to justify that U2 will not go to countries with lower economic levels.
For your information this places most of the time sellout faster than any USA city.
I wonder if U2 do an album that resembles Achtung Baby or Pop, and if the next tour goes back, to what they once called progress, and a way of giving back a good show for the money. Will you be there?

*slaps Rafmed for taking him seriously.
biggrin.gif

Only a Raffie would give NO arguments to support his "sell-out" attacks and then get all riled up over a mocking post.
wink.gif

O.K., if I *must* get serious...

I think the intimate Elevation show is FAR better than ZOO TV or POPMart. There, I said it. I didn't like POPMart anywhere near as much as Elevation. It was just too big. The music was lost. I did like ZOO TV, but the spectacle it was also detracted from my real reason for seeing U2 - which is the music. Elevation allowed me to truly enjoy the music, while still being visually entertained. It is, by far, the best tour U2 has done, IMO.

As for touring Australia... well, that is a tough one. I do think U2 should have gone there, especially considering how successful the album was in Australia. Hopefully, with a new album in the making, U2 will tour Australia next time and perhaps skip other parts of the world (like yet another visit to the U.S.).

As for the "Best Of" - I'm not convinced that this is "selling out." Many, many artists have these albums. Yes, they may be "easy money" but I think they are highly beneficial for the new fan. For example, if I was just getting into U2 now, the "Best Of" would be a great way to hear some of their older music without having to shell out $12-18 for all the albums. When I first started collecting music as a teen, these "greatest hits" albums were wonderful just for that reason. I didn't have a lot of $$, so the ensemble allowed me to nicely sample the artist's work over a period of time without spending a fortune getting each album. Then, if I really liked the artist, I would get the actual albums. In other words, greatest hits albums aren't meant for long-time fans, they are meant for new fans. And having once been in that position, I really appreciate artists releasing these albums.

As for looking cool - considering you gave absolutely NO supporting statements to your initial arguments, I think it is you who needs to do some thinking before just blurting out your thoughts. Don't try to look cool by being the "anti-Bono" - oh, wait, that's already been done too. Whaddya know...

Originally posted by doctorwho:
*slaps Rafmed for taking him seriously.
biggrin.gif

OUCH!
tongue.gif

Only a Raffie would give NO arguments to support his "sell-out" attacks and then get all riled up over a mocking post.
wink.gif

ok you got a point, is always good to stir some controversy.

O.K., if I *must* get serious...

I think the intimate Elevation show is FAR better than ZOO TV or POPMart. There, I said it. I didn't like POPMart anywhere near as much as Elevation. It was just too big. The music was lost. I did like ZOO TV, but the spectacle it was also detracted from my real reason for seeing U2 - which is the music. Elevation allowed me to truly enjoy the music, while still being visually entertained. It is, by far, the best tour U2 has done, IMO.

I disagree, but I have seen many people in USA think like you about Popmart, I think it was much better when they come here with that tour for some reason, maybe they were more used, I didn't see Elevation, but I doubt that it would has been better for me than ZOO TV, well matter of opinions.

As for touring Australia... well, that is a tough one. I do think U2 should have gone there, especially considering how successful the album was in Australia. Hopefully, with a new album in the making, U2 will tour Australia next time and perhaps skip other parts of the world (like yet another visit to the U.S.).

As for the "Best Of" - I'm not convinced that this is "selling out." Many, many artists have these albums. Yes, they may be "easy money" but I think they are highly beneficial for the new fan. For example, if I was just getting into U2 now, the "Best Of" would be a great way to hear some of their older music without having to shell out $12-18 for all the albums. When I first started collecting music as a teen, these "greatest hits" albums were wonderful just for that reason. I didn't have a lot of $$, so the ensemble allowed me to nicely sample the artist's work over a period of time without spending a fortune getting each album. Then, if I really liked the artist, I would get the actual albums. In other words, greatest hits albums aren't meant for long-time fans, they are meant for new fans. And having once been in that position, I really appreciate artists releasing these albums.

As for looking cool - considering you gave absolutely NO supporting statements to your initial arguments, I think it is you who needs to do some thinking before just blurting out your thoughts. Don't try to look cool by being the "anti-Bono" - oh, wait, that's already been done too. Whaddya know...

Should we do a contest about cool and anticool?

------------------

[This message has been edited by rafmed (edited 04-30-2002).]

IMHO, "sell-out" and U2 do not even belong in the same SENTENCE. I guess I just dislike the term "sell-out" in general.

As some have said, I think that the Best Of CD is good for fans that aren't as familar with the music. I mean, the band has released 10 studio albums. It's easier for the new fans to get a Best Of CD and stick with the songs they know, then maybe they'll buy some of the other CDs later. I have a friend who bought the Best Of CD because he really liked "Sweetest Thing."

Everybody has different opinions about what they feel were "better spots," if you will, in the band's career. Definitely understandable.

I don't think U2 could ever "sell out." They have too much integrity to do that.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Originally posted by lazyboy:
The reason U2 gave for not allowing Streets to be used was because it is a cornerstone of each gig, Bono said "it's like when we have a bad night, that song is where God usually shows up". For this reason he felt that it would be degrading to the song, and the attention it would get due to the ad would take away its effect in the show. I dunno but they seemed like they could be persuaded on some other less notable songs.

They didn't say which car company it was, to whoever asked that.

And Arun, from this side of the pond I dunno bout the cases you mentioned, but I would also say the NFL thing ain't selling out, they also let a soccer highlights show here use BD as the theme tune. And have you seen the coke ad you refer to? Cos I think I heard a similar story to this one about that.

And I personally wouldn't really be bothered if U2 "sold" some of their songs to advertising, I mean it would be nice to take some big notes from some corporation and give them to charity. And like someone already pointed out, Moby practically used selling all his songs to ads to promote his own album, not a bad idea! But with Streets, and many others, I think they should be left alone.

laz I never said it was selling out...I just think it's the way the music scene is now. I have NO problem with it. I have seen the coke ad..it's a coke ad

Originally posted by Arun V:

No, it was used ina coke ad, that was used to promote the olympics ( if that makes sense). In the United states it was an ad that had clips from events and a coke glass being poured with the chorus from BD being played at the end. in short...a coke ad..I even have it on tape actually. I will check it again though[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 04-30-2002).]

Actually, it is still not technically an ad for Coke. Why? Because Coke did not pay U2 a cent to advertize their product. 'Beautiful Day' was being used to promote the Olympics, not Coke. It just so happened that Coke also sponsored the Olympics, and it was run simultaneosly. I'm sure U2 didn't agree to promote Coke, and I'm positive that if they did agree to do a Coke ad, as you say, they would have demanded money for it. They did agree, however, to promote the Olympics -- for free.

------------------
The Tempest

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
Actually, it is still not technically an ad for Coke. Why? Because Coke did not pay U2 a cent to advertize their product. 'Beautiful Day' was being used to promote the Olympics, not Coke. It just so happened that Coke also sponsored the Olympics, and it was run simultaneosly. I'm sure U2 didn't agree to promote Coke, and I'm positive that if they did agree to do a Coke ad, as you say, they would have demanded money for it. They did agree, however, to promote the Olympics -- for free.

it still doesn't change the fact that u2 music..was used in a coke ad.

and for the record I'm nost against this sort of thing really. Afterall playing a show like letterman or leno, is basically a commercial arrangment " you play on our show, we will expose you to an audience, and we can make advertising dollars" it's much liek a commercial really...and even if u2 did let them use streets in an ad..it' not seilling out

I don't really understand the economic arguments against best of CD's. I know I rejoiced the day I got the Best of and Bsides myself. I used to spend ages making mixture tapes for friends and there it was all in one place. Handy.(this said by a person who doesn't down load and burn music from the net) I bought the video for a couple of friends who are discovering U2, great value I thought.
Yesterday I decided to treat myself to a Salva Grigoryan CD, there were three, the choice was so hard. If he had a "Best of" I'd have bought that I suppose and been very happy (highly recommend Tommy Emmanuel's Best of Double CD I saw that there too. I want them all. End of plug for Australian guitarists
smile.gif
)
So what's up with Best of's?

I don't mind U2's music used in TV ads as long as they give the money to charity. It's their decision.

I would disagree with Elevation used for the movie (because there were better songs on ATYCLB that could have been used as singles and didn't get the chance, and because i don't think that those who liked it in Tomb Raider will go out and buy the whole album - which i presume was the idea). Or the ticket prices - how is it possible that the stripped down tour costs more than the elaborate, mega Zoo tv and Popmart tours?

Just my opinion.

As for U2 repeating themselves - ATYCLB is the album that has most references from the past. I love it, but it's true.

As for Best of - it's worth buying for a new fan getting into the band, buying the first release. Older fans already have the albums, and (chances are) B-sides or MP3s of them. Personally i wouldn't buy it.

ps: Instead of giving a song off the album for the movie soundtrack, why not make a new song (a la Gangs of New York)? Or M:I theme, or Goldeneye?

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 04-30-2002).]

Originally posted by U2girl:
I don't mind U2's music used in TV ads as long as they give the money to charity.

I would disagree with Elevation used for the movie (because there were better songs on ATYCLB that could have been used as singles and didn't get the chance, and because i don't think that those who liked it in Tomb Raider will go out and buy the whole album - which i presume was the idea). Or the ticket prices - how is it possible that the stripped down tour costs more than the elaborate, mega Zoo tv and Popmart tours?

Just my opinion.

As for U2 repeating themselves - ATYCLB is the album that has most references from the past. I love it, but it's true.

ps: Instead of giving a song off the album for the movie soundtrack, why not make a new song (a la Gangs of New York)? Or M:I theme, or Goldeneye?

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 04-30-2002).]

smile.gif

------------------

it still doesn't change the fact that u2 music..was used in a coke ad.

It was an an Olympic ad. The money they would have given U2 went instead to the Speical Olympics. Coke bought the air time for a spot of the days medal winners...and it was the medal winners that were spotlighted...not Coke. And the song Beautiful Day played in the background.
Now anyone not knowing all this might think "U2 did an ad for Coke" but there were all kinds of press releases out at that time telling what really went on.

dream wanderer

laz I never said it was selling out...I just think it's the way the music scene is now. I have NO problem with it. I have seen the coke ad..it's a coke ad

That's cool Arun, wasn't sayin you said that but many people would interpret what you said as "selling out". And alot of people are dis-agreeing with ya on the coke ad issue too
wink.gif
I know what you are saying in relation to the way the music scene has gone and I happen to agree.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
what's a spanner?

Ah, a spanner, well, we use it to describe people who are eejits, or idiots, who say things, or do things, just to disagree or be awkward, like a spanner in the works I guess. Basically a gobshite

Back
Top Bottom