For all those spanners who reckon U2 are sellouts... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2002, 10:56 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 12:22 AM
U2 are U2 and for whatever reasons they choose, they are going to either say yes or no to letting commercials use there songs!

Personally I don't know that I would like to hear a U2 songs connected to a commercial (ie Stings song DESERT ROSE for Jaguar) , but it's up to them to decide how they want there legacy of songs to be heard!

Old 04-30-2002, 12:11 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by rafmed:

Doing a striped down show is selling out.
You are SO right! It's much better to have a super-huge stage design yet AGAIN - which screams of a lack of originality - and charge fans even more $$ for all the special effects needed, than to tour with a far more intimate and emotional show. Heck, why bother playing instruments? Why not just dance around on stage, have backing tapes and use pyro-effects? Oh wait - that's already been done by N'Sync.

Quote:
Releasing a best of is selling out.
Hallelujah brother! It's much better to have the new generation of fans shell out $18/CD to get the back catalog than to have all the singles featured on one CD. Why let these fans spend a mere $18 when they could spend $180 on all the CDs? Now that's selling music!

Quote:
Releasing an album which sounds reminds of old albums, that is selling out.
Well, "Under a Blood Red Sky" did feature songs from the first 3 albums, "Wide Awake in America" did feature 2 tracks from another album and R&H was like a "JT-Part 2" but those were all live or part-live albums, so it's forgiveable. Otherwise, I haven't heard U2 repeat themselves once. You must be listening to Aerosmith too much. That explains a lot, actually.

Quote:
Spending a whole tour overplaying in the U$A and underplaying europe and ignoring Oz and latinamerica fans, that is selling out.
Keep in coming, man! It's far better to charge hundreds of $$ to the Australian fans just so U2 don't run the risk of actually losing money on this tour (as they did with the past two tours) than to wait for a turn in the economy and visit Australia later. And it's far better to keep touring Europe over and over than record new songs in the studio. After all, isn't that what we want? Non-stop touring? Who needs new music? Blah!

Hey! Great post Raffie. Thanks for enlightening us with your brilliance!

Old 04-30-2002, 12:16 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevatedmole:
Moby DID receive flak for letting companies use his songs in commercials. Moby has addressed this issue in his weblog on moby.com -- I believe he said he didn't care, he liked his music, and if companies wanted to use it because they liked it, fine -- it was okay by him.

yeah i heard a radio interview w/ him and he said that he was a blatant sellout (he used that word) but he didn't care.

I'm glad U2 aren't selling their song; 99% of the population wouldn't know it was for charity anyway (just as people thought Target sponsored Elevation b/c of the u2-7 thing)

Quote:
Originally posted by lazyboy:
The reason U2 gave for not allowing Streets to be used was because it is a cornerstone of each gig, Bono said "it's like when we have a bad night, that song is where God usually shows up".
ooooooooh i really love this quote- do you have the direct source by any chance?

------------------
And if the night runs over And if the day won`t last

*U2TakeMeHigher*
Old 04-30-2002, 03:17 AM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 07:22 PM
who say that using a song in a movie is selling out?

Doing a striped down show is selling out.

Releasing a best of is selling out.

Releasing an album which sounds reminds of old albums, that is selling out.

Spending a whole tour overplaying in the U$A and underplaying europe and ignoring Oz and latinamerica fans, that is selling out.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:21 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I hadn't heard anybody saying that U2 had "sold out" with Elevation. I always hear Pop and "sold out" in the same sentence (which irks me to no end, but anyway...). Good for them!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com
Old 04-30-2002, 06:49 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Whenever U2 do something I don't like, it's a sure sign of a sellout. Cause I'm a troo fan and I know a sellout when I see one... like when I wrote and asked them to come and play at my friend's wedding; now would they refuse me if they really cared about their fans???
Old 04-30-2002, 07:22 AM   #27
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho:
Keep in coming, man! It's far better to charge hundreds of $$ to the Australian fans just so U2 don't run the risk of actually losing money on this tour (as they did with the past two tours) than to wait for a turn in the economy and visit Australia later. And it's far better to keep touring Europe over and over than record new songs in the studio. After all, isn't that what we want? Non-stop touring? Who needs new music? Blah!
Your reasons didnt stop Creed, Live or any number of other acts from coming here. Its oh so easy to word it as though U2 were doing Australia a favour by not charging them too much. In reality, its all about dollars and cents, and touring the states is far more lucrative than touring oz ever was or ever will be. But heck, it didnt stop them from touring ZooTV or POPmart down here...so excuse us if we antipodeans smell a rat, or more pointedly, a greenback!
Old 04-30-2002, 07:35 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Wasn't Aussie dollar much stronger during ZooTV and POPMart? And why do people take it for granted that because U2 were ready to come down here and not make money the last two times they'd be willing to do so over and over again? Yes, we do get some bands and artists coming over but you also get a lot of people like Madonna who didn't tour Australia for the financial reasons.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:43 AM   #29
you are what you is

Local Time: 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho:
And it's far better to keep touring Europe over and over than record new songs in the studio.
yeah, 1 leg every 5 years

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it
Old 04-30-2002, 07:48 AM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
I seem to remember that 'Beatiful Day' was actually used for a charity affiliated with the Olyimpics. Coke just happened to be the other sponser, and the two entities -- 'Beautiful Day' and a small add for Coke -- appeared simulteously. That's all. It wasn't U2 doing an add for Coke at all.

No, it was used ina coke ad, that was used to promote the olympics ( if that makes sense). In the United states it was an ad that had clips from events and a coke glass being poured with the chorus from BD being played at the end. in short...a coke ad..I even have it on tape actually. I will check it again though

[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 04-30-2002).]
Old 04-30-2002, 08:44 AM   #31
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene:
Wasn't Aussie dollar much stronger during ZooTV and POPMart?
it was, and I dont mind people saying U2 skipped aus cos of money, but I do mind people making it sound like they were doing us a favour by avoiding us.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:50 AM   #32
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazyboy:

Now I never agreed with the idiots who freaked at U2 "selling out" with Elevation, cos it was on the bloody soundtrack! To me it was the same as UTEOTW being used in the Wim Wenders film of the same name.

Yep.

Of course, you dont see it from the other side of the world. Unless you are one of those dedicated well learned fans who fly half way across the world to be in a place where they arent touring, just to see what it feels like to see a band you idolise skip you becuase they cant make enough money out of visiting you.

This shows they are still here for the music, but money does matter to them.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:21 AM   #33
War Child

couple of quick thoughts...

1. Moby allowed his music to be used by advertisers because the radio was not playing his singles. After people heard his music on tv and asked "who is that?" was when he started getting album sales and play on the radio.

Sting used the same strategy when his album Brand New Day didn't sell well. He allowed Jaguar to use that song (which I cannot remember right now) with the Indian singer in it for an ad. Suddenly, his music started selling.

I think the whole "sellout" thing is a little stupid. If you want to get your music heard, you have to make some concessions these days. Unless you want to play the "woe is me I'm the poor intelectual underground rockstar living on water and heroin because the big bad music corporation won't play my music whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" crap. I'm not saying the music corporations are good. They're not. But U2 WANTED and still WANTS to have their music played and be popular and they are now willing to make some concessions that they wouldn't have 10 or 20 years ago because the TIMES HAVE CHANGED. It is not 1981 or 1991 folks, it's 2002, and the fact is, things have changed and what was once deemed "selling out" is now standard practice and you have two choices in life, you either waste your energy fighting the process and getting nowhere, or you find a way to accomplish your goals within the process while not losing your integrity. I think U2 has done that, and will continue to do that, even if they have some of their songs in ads.

I really can't see them allowing Sunday Bloody Sunday for a tampax ad for example. But ya never know......
Old 04-30-2002, 10:26 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:22 PM
Awww, dizzy is proud of her Irish boys.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:38 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
who say that using a song in a movie is selling out?

Doing a stripped down show is selling out.

How do you figure?

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com
Old 04-30-2002, 11:46 AM   #36
Refugee

Only someone like Dr. Who would use so lame arguments to disagree, as long as I know, at least around the world, Popmart tickets were cheaper than most of Elevation, and if you can't find where the sounds of ATYCLB are comming, my god man, you are deaf, about aerosmith, very smart comment, surelly someone else is the one that has it in his mind .
So saying that ZOO TV and Popmart are closer to NSYNC certainly shows how much you understand what U2 is all about.
And as long as I know any Best of is cheaper to produce and will have good earnings, in this case I think U2 was forced after poor Popmart performance in tha USA, thank you for the support.
Only a selfish will use those comments to justify that U2 will not go to countries with lower economic levels.
For your information this places most of the time sellout faster than any USA city.
You better do some research before trying to look cool in this forum, as is the case with some others.
I wonder if U2 do an album that resembles Achtung Baby or Pop, and if the next tour goes back, to what they once called progress, and a way of giving back a good show for the money. Will you be there?

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.
Old 04-30-2002, 12:51 PM   #37
The Fly

Quote:
You better do some research before trying to look cool in this forum, as is the case with some others.
You're telling doctorwho he should do more research? There is no one here who knows more about the business side of U2 than DoctorWho.

Seems to me you're just pissed off cause U2 didn't go to wherever your from. So they didn't go to your country. Big shit, deal with it. Not all bands make a stop in Montreal, I just deal with it, I don't think they're sell outs just because they didn't stop here. If you think they're such sell outs, I suggest you stop listening to them, Instead of having all this hatred for the band.

I wouldn't want to be in U2's shoes. With fans like you, they can never do right. Name one band that comes close to U2's integrity. They've never even used a Tour Sponsor, something which is considered normal these days. But that's not enough for people like you.

In your eyes, unless they work for free, they're selling out. You need to understand something. U2 members are human. They are not god, jesus or Mother Teresa. They will never make everyone happy, especially people like you.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:11 PM   #38
Refugee

Of course I didn't enjoyed they not comming here, but that is no problem for me, I have seen them perform enough times, hmm, ok never is enough of U2. To be honest, I could be more bored for young fans that had the hope of watching U2 live, which to me are some of the best experiences I has ever had.

I don't know if DrWho knows or not, but if someone think U2 did a favor to Oz and Latin america fans for not touring ths places, or that they would lose money, well, its laughable.

Actually i woud say the same to you, U2 are humans, and as you and me, can make it good or wrong, now if people expect that this forum is only to praise them and threat them like gods, well then it will be very narrow, and I have all the right of listen to whatever I want, and also I have all the right to have my opinion, no matter if it bothers anyone, and I have arguments to support it, right or wrong, but it seems that some can just debate through sarcasm.

I have to let one thing clear, I love U2 music, there is nothing close to it in my opinion, I would see u2 perform in a 200,000 people stadium or in a parking lot or in a garage, they are the best, period, and I will still be buying U2 albums even before release date as I has been able to do since achtung baby.

If anyone think that someone its not a fan because one can question some things, well, then lets forget the purpouse of this forum.

------------------
Old 04-30-2002, 04:10 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by brettig:
Your reasons didnt stop Creed, Live or any number of other acts from coming here.
Yay! You got Creed. Lucky you!
Old 04-30-2002, 04:22 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Only someone like Dr. Who would use so lame arguments to disagree, as long as I know, at least around the world, Popmart tickets were cheaper than most of Elevation, and if you can't find where the sounds of ATYCLB are comming, my god man, you are deaf, about aerosmith, very smart comment, surelly someone else is the one that has it in his mind .
So saying that ZOO TV and Popmart are closer to NSYNC certainly shows how much you understand what U2 is all about.
And as long as I know any Best of is cheaper to produce and will have good earnings, in this case I think U2 was forced after poor Popmart performance in tha USA, thank you for the support.
Only a selfish will use those comments to justify that U2 will not go to countries with lower economic levels.
For your information this places most of the time sellout faster than any USA city.
I wonder if U2 do an album that resembles Achtung Baby or Pop, and if the next tour goes back, to what they once called progress, and a way of giving back a good show for the money. Will you be there?

*slaps Rafmed for taking him seriously.

Only a Raffie would give NO arguments to support his "sell-out" attacks and then get all riled up over a mocking post.

O.K., if I *must* get serious...

I think the intimate Elevation show is FAR better than ZOO TV or POPMart. There, I said it. I didn't like POPMart anywhere near as much as Elevation. It was just too big. The music was lost. I did like ZOO TV, but the spectacle it was also detracted from my real reason for seeing U2 - which is the music. Elevation allowed me to truly enjoy the music, while still being visually entertained. It is, by far, the best tour U2 has done, IMO.

As for touring Australia... well, that is a tough one. I do think U2 should have gone there, especially considering how successful the album was in Australia. Hopefully, with a new album in the making, U2 will tour Australia next time and perhaps skip other parts of the world (like yet another visit to the U.S.).

As for the "Best Of" - I'm not convinced that this is "selling out." Many, many artists have these albums. Yes, they may be "easy money" but I think they are highly beneficial for the new fan. For example, if I was just getting into U2 now, the "Best Of" would be a great way to hear some of their older music without having to shell out $12-18 for all the albums. When I first started collecting music as a teen, these "greatest hits" albums were wonderful just for that reason. I didn't have a lot of $$, so the ensemble allowed me to nicely sample the artist's work over a period of time without spending a fortune getting each album. Then, if I really liked the artist, I would get the actual albums. In other words, greatest hits albums aren't meant for long-time fans, they are meant for new fans. And having once been in that position, I really appreciate artists releasing these albums.

As for looking cool - considering you gave absolutely NO supporting statements to your initial arguments, I think it is you who needs to do some thinking before just blurting out your thoughts. Don't try to look cool by being the "anti-Bono" - oh, wait, that's already been done too. Whaddya know...