finally got Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gareth brown

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Bloody hell what a great album. Finally got it (£3 in Fopp - fucking BARGRAIN.)

I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it first time round, by my third/fourth listen I was really enjoying it! I can see what Larry Mullen means by it seeming self-indulgent, but I really love this kind of music anyway and to hear it mixed with certain 'traces' of U2's sound is nothing but a good thing.

At times the music can be so different I can understand people's 'hate' for it, at one point during Theme from the Swan I genuinely thought a car alarm going off outside was part of the track. But all in all this is a very interesting album and deserves a lot better! :(

Instant favourites include Always Forever Now (god damn what a superb track!), A Different Kind of Blue, Ito Okashi and Theme from Let's Go Native. The thing about Slug, Miss Sarajevo and Your Blue Room is I'd heard them loads before (especially the latter two thanks to the best of 90-00) so it's hard to hear them as part of the record along with the rest of the tracks which are all new to me and as a result just sound a lot different. I'm sure i'd feel differently if I'd heard it as a whole originally!

To wrap this up, a great listen! Criminally underrated i daresay and some real 'gems' on there.

8/10 - If U2's next album was Original Soundtracks 2, i would not complain. :)

Yeah, this album has some real gems on it. Slug, Your Blue Room, Miss Sarajevo, Always Forever Now are my favourites.

Also contains only the second song where Adam has vocals.

U2's most experimental album ever :heart:

Everyone who think ATYCLB and HTDAAB are "masterpieces" should have a listen to this benchmark of art :heart:

I really recomend this treasure to everyone

Passengers is fantaaastic. :drool:

I consider it to be U2's third best album, behind UF and JT. Songs such as United Colours, Slug, Your Blue Room, Always Forever Now, One Minute Warning, and Theme From Let's Go Native are amazing.

ponkine said:

Everyone who think ATYCLB and HTDAAB are "masterpieces" should have a listen to this benchmark of art :heart:

Those who consider ATYCLB and HTDAAB to be masterpieces will probably think that Passengers sucks.

Zootlesque said:

Those who consider ATYCLB and HTDAAB to be masterpieces will probably think that Passengers sucks.

I love both of these oppositional sides of U2. The fact that they can cover a broad spectrum of sounds and musical styles only enhances my love for them.

OST 1 is a bloody excellent piece of art. most of the songs are brainfuckers that activate the subconscious. great album and great imaginery songs for films.

Those who consider Passengers weak are entitled to their opinion.
And since we're making comparison, it's nowhere near ATYCLB and HTDAAB. And no, no one is saying those are masterpieces.

U2girl said:

And since we're making comparison, it's nowhere near ATYCLB and HTDAAB. And no, no one is saying those are masterpieces.

1. OS1 has a production that puts ATYCLB and HTDAAB to shame.
2. OS1 is cinematic while ATYCLB and HTDAAB are pretty bland in that department.
3. OS1 is experimental while ATYCLB and HTDAAB lack creativity.
4. OS1 is lyrically stronger than ATYCLB and HTDAAB.
5. OS1 has better songs.
6. OS1 is a more complete album.
7. Adam sings on OS1!

ponkine said:

I really recomend this treasure to everyone

I agree 1005 Ponkine.
A criminally underrated album. The whole piece is so moving, I don't think there is a single duff track. I know that Elvis ate america isn't popular but I think in the context of this album it is superb, coming after the hauntingly beautiful Ito Okashi(I think)it's like a horrible acid trip, butI somehow mean that in a good way.
Obvious favourites are Miss S, Your Blue room and Slug, but Theme from lets go native, United Colours, corpse and A different kind of blue are also ace!
9/10

I got this while living in Japan. I read before that many of the songs were made while they were finishing up their tour for ZOO TV.
Well, I can say they nailed the feeling of living there. There is such a zen to this album. I remember driving in these small streets in Japan in the snow late at night listening to "Slug". You talk about goosebumps!!

Absolutely lovely. And I love the new U2 just the same. That is what I love so much about this band. Who else that you know of can pull both of these styles off?

U2girl said:
Those who consider Passengers weak are entitled to their opinion.

I agree. Passengers is nowhere near ATYCLB or HTDAAB. Passengers is running far, far away from ATYCLB and HTDAAB so that it doesn't become tarnished from being in the presence of such inferior music.

Screwtape2 said:

1. OS1 has a production that puts ATYCLB and HTDAAB to shame.
2. OS1 is cinematic while ATYCLB and HTDAAB are pretty bland in that department.
3. OS1 is experimental while ATYCLB and HTDAAB lack creativity.
4. OS1 is lyrically stronger than ATYCLB and HTDAAB.
5. OS1 has better songs.
6. OS1 is a more complete album.
7. Adam sings on OS1!

Quoted for truth!

:lol: Yes, whatever you say. Don't keep the shrine waiting!

Screwtape:

1. Production and quality of the songs are two different things.
2. Pass. I'll take good songs over "cinematic".
3. See above. It need not be "experimental" to be good. Oh and ATYCLB is experimental since U2 didn't try to do a pop album before.
4. OS1 lacks actual Bono lyrics, so this is not really an argument.
5. Well, only real U2 songs on OS1 being Miss Sarajevo and Your blue room and those aren't better than the best of what's on ATYCLB and Bomb.
6. Not really.
7. So? I wouldn't qualify reading lines as singing either.

I'm saying ATYCLB is a masterpiece.

But I don't think Passengers sucks. It's actually still growing on me quite a bit. THe first 2/3 of the album really are awesome.

It's just not a U2 album. :wink:

shart1780 said:
Your Blue Room is one of my favorite songs.

I just looove to fall asleep to this album.

Same here. On both counts.

It's a really good 'lay in bed and cuddle with someone' cd too :wink:

It's not a CD I'd run out and tell everybody they simply must buy it, but I really do enjoy it. There are a couple of really standout tracks on there.

Passengers is incredible. Remove Elvis Ate America and it would be incredible from start to finish.

It's a good oddbeat album by U2 standards but I really enjoy Brian Eno's solo work a lot more.
Music for Films, Music for Airports, and Another Green World are brilliant albums.

Especially Another Green World.

24001164006cw9.jpg

Last edited:
why can't we appreciate this album without bashing two others, ponkine? or is your need for attention that thick that you can't make a point without doing so?

sorry to put you all off a bit, but when was this album released? i suppose it's not "officially" a U2 record? but i'd like to get my hands on it, anyway :)
bear with me, i've only been a fan for a bit over five years :(
I know! Shame on me!!!:madspit:

Back
Top Bottom