Favorite moment from Zoo TV Sydney?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kildare

The Fly
I know it's hard to pick, but I'd have to say Bono's harmonica playing/passionate "hallelujahs" at the end of Running to Stand Still (leading into Streets). Goosebumps right there.

Yours?

Hmm so many.

Ofcourse when Bono get's on stage with Zoo station.

Mysterious ways with the belly dancer, Running to stand still.

Stay and following that Sattelite of Love great stuff.

And ofcourse when Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car.

Really the whole show is just great!

The whole concert. Zoo Station, The Fly, UTEOTW, NYD, Dirty Day, WTSHNN, all of the MacPhisto stuff ... too many to name.

THE moment in WTSHNN. To me, it's the best-filmed opening of Streets ever. Hamish Hamilton should've been forced to watch this moment for 2 days straight before filming those Elevation concerts, so he wouldn't forget to include this moment (instead of some lame-ass close-up of Bono).
This is why Streets is U2's best live song!

Edges main solo in Love is Blindness. Absolutely devastating, says more than words ever could. Especially when he flatlines it to that bass sound making the slightest of tweaks as the camera zooms in on him....

....just :drool:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Pretty much the whole show except MacPhisto doing WOWY. The only downfall of the show.

...second that. I tend to skip past sattelite of love as well

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Pretty much the whole show except MacPhisto doing WOWY. The only downfall of the show.

But in context dear Superstar, context. It takes on a new meaning. With or Without You sung by MacPhisto would be seedy. But neither Lemon or With or Without You are sung by MacPhisto, really. It's the old two sides of the clown story. Stick the video in again and watch the differences in the way he performs both songs and pay attention to the lyrics of both of them.

Lemon = Bright lighting, highlighting the glittery get up. Showpony camp Bono parading up and down the ramp. Strutting, really throwing himself at the front rows of the audience, belting parts of the song out at the top of his lungs right to the back rows of the stadium. Loaded with confidence and theatrics. Putting on a show and adoring, absolutely adoring, the attention he is receiving in return from 50,000 people. That "you love me.... as you should" grin. He grabs the camera and with all the cockiness and confidence in the world thrusts it backwards and forwards like he's fucking it, then just throws it away and moves on. Loving it, but absolutely needs that love from the crowd in return.

With or Without You = Dark blue and purple lights. Bono huddled and hunched in a corner of the ramp, making no direct contact with the audience, instead looking out over them like he's searching for one particular person out there. He sings the song low and with little effort. Soft, quiet, almost mumbling in parts. The makeup is running, he looks lost and very alone. Suddenly the fact that 50,000 people are there means nothing, it's the one person that is missing that matters. When he 'flirts' with the camera in this song it's not the cocky thrusting in Lemon, but a real desperation, practicaly begging the camera to come over to him, and this time he pulls it into his heart.

One of the themes of Lemon is questioning what drives man to creativity, artistic expression etc, and in it Bono is referencing his mother, and how he's "swimming after her". It's basically an open admission of what he always says about "needing the love of 50,000 people to feel normal", or needing that love to replace the one love that he's always missed? And there is Bono performing the song at the most attention seeking/cocky/show me some love level you will ever see him. A performance more than any other that demands that the audience give it up for him. That character is demanding attention, compliments, physical and emotional satisfaction. Then he slips into With or Without You, which I think is more translating in this context into being something brutaly honest. If "Bono" the creative performer is essentially born of him needing to replace that lost love of his mother, and if that transition of songs shows him actually not finding the love he needs from the 50,000 and still searching out there among the crowd for that one person, while confused about what he can can't live with or without.... think about it. U2. 'Bono'. The audience. The attention. His mother. With or Without You. Given some hard choices, what would he choose to live with, and what would he choose to live without? One does not exist if the other is there.

I think it is Bono's most nakedly honest 15 minutes on stage, maybe even off it. I think Lemon>With or Without You is brilliant.

YESSSSSSSSSS!
Thank you for putting into words the way I feel about that version of WOWY (and the irony of Lemon). I love the brutal honesty of it.
I wish I could put my thaughts/feelings into words as good as that.
Well said :applaud:

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

I understand the context, the song makes sense with the character, I just don't like the mac voice singing the song.

Yeah, I do agree in that sense. I mean, if you are just listening to an audio copy of it, it's a dud version.

Earnie Shavers said:

But in context dear Superstar, context. It takes on a new meaning. With or Without You sung by MacPhisto would be seedy. But neither Lemon or With or Without You are sung by MacPhisto, really. It's the old two sides of the clown story. Stick the video in again and watch the differences in the way he performs both songs and pay attention to the lyrics of both of them.

Lemon = Bright lighting, highlighting the glittery get up. Showpony camp Bono parading up and down the ramp. Strutting, really throwing himself at the front rows of the audience, belting parts of the song out at the top of his lungs right to the back rows of the stadium. Loaded with confidence and theatrics. Putting on a show and adoring, absolutely adoring, the attention he is receiving in return from 50,000 people. That "you love me.... as you should" grin. He grabs the camera and with all the cockiness and confidence in the world thrusts it backwards and forwards like he's fucking it, then just throws it away and moves on. Loving it, but absolutely needs that love from the crowd in return.

With or Without You = Dark blue and purple lights. Bono huddled and hunched in a corner of the ramp, making no direct contact with the audience, instead looking out over them like he's searching for one particular person out there. He sings the song low and with little effort. Soft, quiet, almost mumbling in parts. The makeup is running, he looks lost and very alone. Suddenly the fact that 50,000 people are there means nothing, it's the one person that is missing that matters. When he 'flirts' with the camera in this song it's not the cocky thrusting in Lemon, but a real desperation, practicaly begging the camera to come over to him, and this time he pulls it into his heart.

One of the themes of Lemon is questioning what drives man to creativity, artistic expression etc, and in it Bono is referencing his mother, and how he's "swimming after her". It's basically an open admission of what he always says about "needing the love of 50,000 people to feel normal", or needing that love to replace the one love that he's always missed? And there is Bono performing the song at the most attention seeking/cocky/show me some love level you will ever see him. A performance more than any other that demands that the audience give it up for him. That character is demanding attention, compliments, physical and emotional satisfaction. Then he slips into With or Without You, which I think is more translating in this context into being something brutaly honest. If "Bono" the creative performer is essentially born of him needing to replace that lost love of his mother, and if that transition of songs shows him actually not finding the love he needs from the 50,000 and still searching out there among the crowd for that one person, while confused about what he can can't live with or without.... think about it. U2. 'Bono'. The audience. The attention. His mother. With or Without You. Given some hard choices, what would he choose to live with, and what would he choose to live without? One does not exist if the other is there.

I think it is Bono's most nakedly honest 15 minutes on stage, maybe even off it. I think Lemon>With or Without You is brilliant.

Very well said. Nice analysis!

Favorite moment would be during Bullet the Blue Sky (don't remember the exact part of the song...haven't watched this in a while) but I believe it's either right before the guitar solo or during the intro to the song when Bono pushes down his telescopic mike stand, imitating an old school dynamite detonator as Edge's guitar "explodes" into full force.

It's super quick, almost unnoticable if you aren't eagerly anticipating it, but it's fucking awesome. I love it.

this part, at the end of streets :drool: :rockon:

PDVD_010.BMP

PDVD_026.BMP

The bridge in New Years day...

"Say it true, its true......"

its fucking huuuuge!!!

Adam provides a couple of great moments:

Where he gets a fright as the Zootv money is launched... you gotta be quick to catch it!

His cheesy grin as he first makes eye contact with Bono during zoo station..

I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about Zoo tv Sydney. What I wouldn't give to have been there!!!!!!

Sooooo many highlights!!!!!!!

RTSS segue into Streets, Hallelujahs and harmonica ending in RTSS, Zoo Station opening, Bono and belly dancer performance in Mysterious Ways, Macphisto performance inDaddy's guna pay and lemon, Adam's fright when the money exploded onto the stage, Bono's stare at Adam in Zoo Station with the line 'ready to take it to the streets' in reference to Adams night out, Bono's falsetto's in can't help falling in love, BULLET!!!!!!!!!, 'You are the loudest bunch of Mother fuckers,' Every single mili second of Streets, Edge solo in Love is blindness, UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!!!, the absence of Sunday bloody Sunday, the rare great live performance of Pride......... Honestly I could go on forever

My number one moment is definitely the "Hallelujah!"s at the end of Running to Stand Still, they just tear my heart out.

The end of With or Without You is also something special: "And you give, and you give, and you give, and you GIVE, and you give, and you give, and you give, and you GIVE, with or without YOOOOOU, with or without YOU, my love" The whole performance really, but especially that bit.

neutral said:

Same. :drool:

Just one moment? Probably RTSS/Hallelujah for me too. I can barely listen to it sometimes, it's almost overwhelming.

Is this the same RTSS/Hallelujah as on Chicago except better?

I've also hear that this concert has the scariest performance of Bullet. If anyone would care to elaborate, or send on...thefonz_29@hotmail.com

Back
Top Bottom