Fast Cars (full) reaction???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2DMfan

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I thought i would start a different thread for reactions so people can find the links easier. It's in the thread "I think (hope) Fast Cars will be here soon"

I love it, what the hell is this song about?

This is indeed a nice little song. The lyrical style wouldn't fit the album though, it's much more abstract. I looooove it. Not sure what it's about just yet, would have been cool on Zoo TV.

I like it! Actually I think it might've fit on the album, if one does an alternative analysis of some of the rest of the songs.

Anyway, my initial feeling is that it's about the absurdity of celebrity...

i agree with the "absurdity of celebrity" comment. i don't know why i like it ... but i can't stop playing it. i think it's because of how different it is from everything else...

It's original, it's addictive, and it's the worst song of the Hut Dab era. Damn, they're producing some quality material.

Edit: Why the hell is this the bonus track rather than Mercy?!

Last edited:
I hope they play Fast Cars live - it could break the show up nicely half way through. Infectious and fun - a good party piece.

...try putting 'Fast Cars' as the 7th track, between 'ABOY' and 'AMAAW'... it makes the album even better...
Making it a 12th track is not good idea IMO... the only song after 'Yahweh' should be 'Mercy'.

What do you think...?

Like it a lot. A great piece of creative music. The acoustic-oriental-punk style is great. Should have been on the album.

Pretty cool song. I think it would have been on the album had they found a good spot for it. Thats the problem I think. Its so different. Its a bummer to leave out the song from which the album title derives itself.

Yes, this is a nice little song (kind of an understatement, I think). I didn't know what to expect for the rest of the song after listening to the looped clip. It's totally different than anything else on the album so it kind of clashes, but I love it. Makes me wiggle.

it does sound alot like the police's "canary in a coalmine".

fun tune.

I could see them playing it acoustic on the b stage.

bathiu said:
...try putting 'Fast Cars' as the 7th track, between 'ABOY' and 'AMAAW'... it makes the album even better...
Making it a 12th track is not good idea IMO... the only song after 'Yahweh' should be 'Mercy'.

What do you think...?

Totally agree on that, or put it between COBL and ABOY. It fits nicely with ABOY (that has to do with the alternative analysis of ABOY I have that's not about God or Bono's parents ;-) ).

This album could have been much better if they had included at least are you gonna wait forever and fast cars. I don't know why they were averse to making it a 13-14 track album like Pop or Achtung.

i simply don't understand why they didn't include this song in the album outside Uk or Japan..._BTW i think it's a great song (i'd say more: good material for a single...4th single)

IMO -- it's not nearly as good as Mercy, but better than expected after hearing the loop. Falls somewhere between Achtung Baby and Passengers.

I don't think it's amazing or anything, but it's definitely a cool song. It's just alot of fun. Like Some Days are Better than Others or something. Something I'd wanna drive around with and sing along to.

I like the part; "All I want is a picture of you" . Great vocal harmony. I wish they would put that in at the end of the song too. I seems a little incomplete without that part at the end of the song.

I like this song. Immediate reactions:

-VERY experimental
-Cutting edge
-Eclectic
-That driving beat with the fast guitar and that sitar really keeps you moving.
-Love the middle eastern setting the song takes you to.

Back
Top Bottom