Eye Contact... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 01:28 PM
Eye Contact...

This has been swimming around my head since the Elevation tour.

So, after years and years of being a fan with lousy seats, I find myself on the tip of the heart, right? And one thing that I couldn't help noticing was that Bono seemed to take special care not to really engage anyone around the ramp with eye contact. He had the whole 1000-yard-stare thing going in full effect. Maybe he was taking in the whole arena, maybe he was working on including the nosebleed seats, maybe we were an ugly group of people. But it really struck me at the time as being noteworthy if not unusual. The show was amazing; it just made me wonder, you know?

Any similar experiences or thoughts?

Old 08-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:28 PM
No, I heard quite the contrary from many people. But I guess it has to do with Bono's mood, his concentration etc.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:28 AM
Why does it strike you as unusual? Most performers worth their salt find a way to engage their audience without actually being distracted by their audience. Focusing on one person could throw off a performance.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:28 AM
many performers look for psycho-nut job fans who know every word by heart so that they can follow along in case they forget a verse... one would think bono should start using this practice.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 09:28 AM
It may be that his eyes were hurting that night, and maybe he had blurry vision. Was it smoky?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

At our first show on the Vertigo tour, we were right at the tip of the ellipse and definitely locked eyes with Bono. He and Adam were at the tip and I saw through his sunglasses that he was looking down in the direction of me and my wife. I thought it'd be a kick if he took my wife on stage, so I started pointing my finger at her and smiling. He kind of chuckled as he sang and smiled at us, then looked somewhere else.

In all, though, I think it just depends on where his eyes fall. It's actually pretty standard stage practice for theater, etc, to look out above the crowd. Of course the setting's different for a concert, but I can see why looking out to the distance can be easier when singing some of the big, sweeping songs than looking right at specific people.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

i dunno i was at the tip of the ellipse too. Bono made eye contact with a few of the fans but mostly stared out. Adam seems to be the one that makes eye contact with alot of people.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:28 AM
Yep, my front-row experiences have been similar -- Bono usually looks out at the sea of the crowd, most of the time. One time, though, in San Jose during the Vertigo tour, he grabbed the camera of a girl standing right next to me on the rail, and snapped a picture of her during the opening song (COBL)... he smiled and nodded at both of us (even though I didn't even know her ) and it TRIPPED me out to have him looking right at me.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
Refugee

Me and adam , rocked together during gone in 2001 , i was rocking out , he noticed me , that felt good , everybody had good time and all
adam is a core member , larry should've been replaced with drum machine long time ago

Old 08-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

When I saw them at msg I was first row back stage, and he made alot of eye contact with me and others too. It was the one thing I kept saying over and over he looked at me!!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 03:21 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:28 PM
LOOK AT ME! HP movie scene comes to mind...
Old 08-24-2007, 05:12 AM   #12
Acrobat

I felt that when Bono does make eye contact with the crowd, he REALLY makes eye contact...

...I was right on Edge's walkway jn Melbourne last year and Bono stopped and sang a part of SYCMIOYO right infront of me... and his eye contact was so strong that I couldn't take any pictures... I just had to look back... he seemed so vulnerable... especially without the glasses on

...so now I have a really huge close-up of the back of Bono's head because it wasn't until he turned around did I think to start taking photos. lol!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:13 AM   #13
Acrobat

Adam also made heaps of eye-contact and smiled at us. He seemed to be having heaps of fun.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:22 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungGirl219
I felt that when Bono does make eye contact with the crowd, he REALLY makes eye contact...

...I was right on Edge's walkway jn Melbourne last year and Bono stopped and sang a part of SYCMIOYO right infront of me... and his eye contact was so strong that I couldn't take any pictures... I just had to look back... he seemed so vulnerable... especially without the glasses on

...so now I have a really huge close-up of the back of Bono's head because it wasn't until he turned around did I think to start taking photos. lol!
I fully understand. I wouldn't take photos in a situation like that, it's so precious and taking a picture would destroy it. I have never taken any photos at a U2 concert or at the P8 show in Rostock, even when I was very close to the stage, because I simply feel I cannot enjoy the moment so much when I start looking for photo ops.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:06 AM   #15
blm
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungGirl219

I'll bet you wanted to hug him reaally tight. What a vision to be burned into your memory-I am sure you treasure it -how lucky you are
Old 08-24-2007, 08:38 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Adam made eye contact with me after I thanked him.
He looked away to the girl next to me, so then I prepared to take a photo, because I felt it was rude if I put the camera to my eye while he was looking at me.

As I was getting the camera set, he looked back and smile just as I took the pic, so now I have a pic of Adam looking at me
Old 08-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #17
Refugee

Cool. Interesting responses.

It must be a strange life - everywhere you go, people are trying to engage you like that, trying to make eye contact.

I could see being tripped pretty easily by the little things happening immeditately below me in a crowd.

And it wouldn't surprise me that Bono was keeping the big picture in mind - and trying to engage the people in the back.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
many performers look for psycho-nut job fans who know every word by heart so that they can follow along in case they forget a verse... one would think bono should start using this practice.

yup
Old 08-24-2007, 09:40 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by waynetravis
Adam made eye contact with me after I thanked him.
He looked away to the girl next to me, so then I prepared to take a photo, because I felt it was rude if I put the camera to my eye while he was looking at me.

As I was getting the camera set, he looked back and smile just as I took the pic, so now I have a pic of Adam looking at me

Can you post it???

BTW Every artist do that, I guees is the ligth or something but in every concert I have atended it seems that the artist is watching exactly at the place where you are, of course there´s always special moments
Old 08-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #20
Refugee

I was front row in Chicago the night they filmed the majority of the dvd.

I have to say I'm certain that I made eye contact with Bono and the Edge.

At the end of Vertigo I yelled to Edge: "Edge, you da fuckin MAN!!!" He smiled and winked down at us. During Electric Co., Bono emptied his water bottle out directly on myself and a buddy---he made eye contact the whole time. That was like 3 feet away eye contact.