Extreme points of view

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I like how the fanatics here label anyone who criticises the band even a bit as a hater. There are a lot of people here like me who're in a happy middle ground. We don't all have to be on 2 opposing sides, the Fanatics vs. the Haters, do we?

Oh yes.

We got the peeps big into the new millenium U2, stoic ATYCLB/HTDAAB defenders. They dislike...

The 90s fanatics who insist that U2 have been playing it safe since Pop, and that AB-Zooropa-Pop=holy trinity...

And we have the people who think the latter two of those records were low points of U2's career and that they have returned to form recently...

And we have the 80s fundementalists who believe the band has never topped TUF and JT...

U2 fandom is like a religion....we're not happy unless we're dividing and fighting against and amongst ourselves.

unnamed_streets said:
I like how the fanatics here label anyone who criticises the band even a bit as a hater. There are a lot of people here like me who're in a happy middle ground. We don't all have to be on 2 opposing sides, the Fanatics vs. the Haters, do we?

I notice that. Part of the reason I don't venture into these parts all that often. And considering I enjoy the rough and tumble of FYM at it's most contentious, that's saying something.

...I'm not exactly sure what it's saying though.... :huh:

Last edited:
I think most people fall in the middle of these two catagories. It just seems so polarized because the extremists are the most vocal.

namkcuR said:
Oh yes.

We got the peeps big into the new millenium U2, stoic ATYCLB/HTDAAB defenders. They dislike...

The 90s fanatics who insist that U2 have been playing it safe since Pop, and that AB-Zooropa-Pop=holy trinity...

And we have the people who think the latter two of those records were low points of U2's career and that they have returned to form recently...

And we have the 80s fundementalists who believe the band has never topped TUF and JT...

U2 fandom is like a religion....we're not happy unless we're dividing and fighting against and amongst ourselves.

I don't think that kind of stereotyping is right at all. I'm not an eighties fan in the sense that I was alive and supported the band then, as I wasn't born until 1987, but I think U2 have never topped The Unforgettable Fire and the album that comes closest is How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - but I think All That You Can't Leave Behind AND Pop are two of U2's weaker albums, while I believe Zooropa was artistic brilliance and tops Achtung Baby.

You can't put people into neat little boxes and say "this group hates that group".

I also hate it when people who defend U2 are automatically labelled 'blind U2 apologists'. Sure, there are some, but some of the people labelled haters do present ridiculous points, don't listen to correction, and continue to spout incorrect information.

And I really don't see why some people think it's wrong to like every single U2 song ...

financeguy said:
Lads just be honest and accept that I'm always right:wink:

Only if you agree with me. If you do, then all's good with the world. :D

Axver said:

I don't think that kind of stereotyping is right at all. I'm not an eighties fan in the sense that I was alive and supported the band then, as I wasn't born until 1987, but I think U2 have never topped The Unforgettable Fire and the album that comes closest is How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - but I think All That You Can't Leave Behind AND Pop are two of U2's weaker albums, while I believe Zooropa was artistic brilliance and tops Achtung Baby.

You can't put people into neat little boxes and say "this group hates that group".

I also hate it when people who defend U2 are automatically labelled 'blind U2 apologists'. Sure, there are some, but some of the people labelled haters do present ridiculous points, don't listen to correction, and continue to spout incorrect information.

And I really don't see why some people think it's wrong to like every single U2 song ...

Firstly...just for arguement's sake...TUF was topped four times...JT, AB, Zooropa, Pop...Pop is one of U2's best records, I rank it #2 behind AB...Zooropa WAS artistic brilliance but it does not top AB. :wink:

Seriously though, I'm not saying everyone is going to fall neatly into this box or that, but I do think that I have outlined some of the general categories of U2 fans...I realize it's not that simple, but from a broader standpoint, if you were describing us to people outside the U2 hardcore fanbase, you would have to use general categorizations like that.

Oh, and you don't have to actually have been a practicing fan during the 80s to be an 80s fundementalist...I'm a 90s fanatic and I didn't become a fan until 1998.

but some of the people labelled haters do present ridiculous points, don't listen to correction, and continue to spout incorrect information.

opinions cannot be incorrect

Hoodlem said:

opinions cannot be incorrect

But stating 'opinions' based on falsehood is incorrect. Saying U2 are sell-outs because they received money to appear on the iPod commercial is not true. But people keep on promoting that viewpoint ...

my 4 favourite u2 albums are
1. Achtung Baby
2. How to dismantle an atomic bomb
3. The joshua tree
4. All that you can't leave behind

Like Axver, I believe Zooropa was artistic brilliance. For me, Pop is the nadir of their carreer.

i'm sure then that i absolutely do not fall into any category of any sort......
everyone has their own opinions which are neither right nor wrong.

D'oh! said:
my 4 favourite u2 albums are
1. Achtung Baby
2. How to dismantle an atomic bomb
3. The joshua tree
4. All that you can't leave behind

Like Axver, I believe Zooropa was artistic brilliance. For me, Pop is the nadir of their carreer.

i'm sure then that i absolutely do not fall into any category of any sort......

Pop the nadir of their career? Hell no.

D'oh! said:

To a point, I think that's true. Sometimes, though, some opinions are so outlandish and based on so much falsity that they are plain wrong.

unnamed_streets said:

So true and so annoying. Some people here fight for their opinions to be shared by everybody for reasons I can't understand and those who don't see it their way are blind or something. I have never been called a hater or a fanatic I guess because I don't really dislike any U2 album, don't really hate any U2 song but don't say my opinion as the right one. I mean there are some songs I don't listen as much as others but that's it.

Another thing I don't understand is why bash U2 in such disrespectful ways because you don't like their last record or their two last records. I mean I can understand the disappointment and the frustration when your favorite band's last two records didn't please you, especially since U2 takes so long to release their records, but why disrespect them after so many other albums that you love?

I'm fine with everybody giving their opinions and having their likes and dislikes, what I hate is when some posters state their opinions as facts.

unnamed_streets said:

Are you talking to me?... so criticising a band = trolling! okay.

Yes, I'm talking to you. Every thread you open or take part in is about the negative of U2. And the fact is you don't know shit about the band. You sound like a troll!!!

Do Miss America said:

Yes, I'm talking to you. Every thread you open or take part in is about the negative of U2. And the fact is you don't know shit about the band. You sound like a troll!!!

Oh really? What about the one I started about getting into their awesome live material? Or the other one about Zoo Station nostalgia. You're the perfect example of a fanatic who calls everyone else trolls.

unnamed_streets said:
I like how the fanatics here label anyone who criticises the band even a bit as a hater.

I love how incessant 24/7 bashing U2 is labeled as "a bit of critisizing" and how those who liked the last two albums are called blind followers, sheep, and mindless people.

Sleep Over Jack said:
I don't consider myself in any of those categories, I like every U2 era.

As do I.

Also...

Originally posted by TheBrazilianFly
So true and so annoying. Some people here fight for their opinions to be shared by everybody for reasons I can't understand and those who don't see it their way are blind or something. I have never been called a hater or a fanatic I guess because I don't really dislike any U2 album, don't really hate any U2 song but don't say my opinion as the right one. I mean there are some songs I don't listen as much as others but that's it.

Another thing I don't understand is why bash U2 in such disrespectful ways because you don't like their last record or their two last records. I mean I can understand the disappointment and the frustration when your favorite band's last two records didn't please you, especially since U2 takes so long to release their records, but why disrespect them after so many other albums that you love?

I'm fine with everybody giving their opinions and having their likes and dislikes, what I hate is when some posters state their opinions as facts.

I've been saying this a lot lately in all the various debates I've been a part of, but...thank you :bow: :applaud: :up:. My sentiments exactly.

I personally don't mind a few critiques here and there...why a certain song is your least favorite, why you don't care for one album as much as another, etc....that's fine.

But it just seems like, as stated in this thread, some people do nothing BUT focus on the negative aspects 24/7, and so I just wonder what it is about the band that they DO like. They're still fully entitled to express their opinions all they want to, but it just seems odd.

Angela

unnamed_streets said:

Oh really? What about the one I started about getting into their awesome live material? Or the other one about Zoo Station nostalgia. You're the perfect example of a fanatic who calls everyone else trolls.

Look you come off as young and inexperienced. You are stuck in a period. You have no idea what music is. I've looked at your other post. You are clueless. Yes the 90's were an awesome time for U2, but they've made some amazing music since then.

My favourite 5 albums are:

1. BomB
2. Achtung Baby
3. Unforgettable Fire
4. Joshua Tree
5. Boy
6. PoP

I dont really offer any favortism to any era of U2 history

I generally like it all, although I do find Rattle and Hum hard to listen to at times, yet Joshua Tree is always a seductive musical experience.

I only really became a true U2 fan in 2002, so I might be considered one of those defenders of the new millenium U2 (particularly with the BomB being my favourite album), yet I am unable to commit myself to the period, due to my feeling that ATYCLB seems somewhat "unfinished". Also, I find the 90-00 best of compilation, (despite it being my first U2 album), wrongly representative of the era.

Do Miss America said:

Look you come off as young and inexperienced. You are stuck in a period. You have no idea what music is. I've looked at your other post. You are clueless. Yes the 90's were an awesome time for U2, but they've made some amazing music since then.

So, basicly what you're saying is that your opinion rules, or what?
He's inexperienced just because he likes to ask questions and isn't afraid of it, but what matters the most, he doesn't share your opinion.
So what if dislikes ATYCLB,i don't know if he does, and you like.
He's stuck in a period and you're music god:bow:.What makes you a music god??tell me please, i wanna be just like you

in my opinion:
1.achtung baby
2.pop
3.joshua tree
4.zooropa
5.war
6.unforgettable fire
7.atyclb
8.htdaab
9.october
10.rattle and hum
11.boy