Extreme points of view

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look, Music is subjective and noone can tell you that you're wrong for liking one album or era over another. I think what bugs alot of people though about the people who diss U2s current phase are their arguments that somehow u2 have changed and now are some kind of moneygrabbing corporation.
I've got news for you U2 have ALWAYS been concerned about their sales figures and went about things ensuring success.
During the "AB" Phase they were not some holy punk rockers-In fact when they released "The Fly" single in the UK they limited it to being available for a few short weeks initially-Why? To make sure it went to Number 1-U2 have been a corporation for 25 years!!

I personally have no problem with someone saying they like Pop better than HTDAAB-I do have a problem when it's coming from someone who was in diapers when Joshua Tree was released, saying that U2 have lost their way idealistically since 1998, sold their soul and now are making music for the man.
They're doing now what they've always done! trying to be/remain the biggest band in the world

Last edited:
CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:
I think what bugs alot of people though about the people who diss U2s current phase are their arguments that somehow u2 have changed and now are some kind of moneygrabbing corporation.

I've got news for you U2 have ALWAYS been concerned about their sales figures and went about things ensuring success.

They're doing now what they've always done! trying to be/remain the biggest band in the world

That's exactly the way I feel. I don't even venture into the threads about one song/album is better than the next because the way other people feel about one song or another isn't relevant to me, different people will like different songs, nothing wrong with that.

On the other hand the "Sell Out" crowd are really the blind ones, that for some reason can't equate promotion of an album they love with the promotion of an album they dislike.

I would love to have seen the release of the ultimate
"experimental" album, full of let's say "Middle Eastern" type influences with some "non-radio friendly" type song being promoted in the now infamous "Ipod Commercial". I could just see the "Sell Out" team calling it "genius".

The point is to differentiate between the dislike in U2's musical direction versus saying they're promoting things differently now.

U2 can choose whatever musical direction they want, it's their music, I can choose to like it or not.

IMO:

JT
AB
UF
War
HTDAAB
Boy
ATYCLB
Rattle and Hum
October
Zooropa
Pop

What's funniest to me is people who call you a 'bad fan' for not liking, say, Pop, then turn around and diss another album, like ATYCLB! :crack: :lol:

I think the problem, if there is one, is that U2 has done so damn much with so much diversity they draw all different types, and the types who like one or two things may not like the others! But isn't that great they've done so much?

Which brings me to the IDIOTS yes IDIOTS who say they've sounded the same for 30 years :coocoo:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
But isn't that great they've done so much?

Yes, it certainly is. Especially when they mention the artists that influenced them to try a new style...it leads me to check out more from some of the influential artists mentioned and all that, and that leads me to the artists that influenced them, and so on and so forth...and I've heard some interesting stuff as a result. U2 certainly hasn't left me bored at all...I like having the variety.

Angela

Axver said:

And I really don't see why some people think it's wrong to like every single U2 song ...

Neither do I. If that makes us "blind followers," then so be it. I'm happy with EVERY U2 era and that's good enough for me. You can't say that about very many bands...

Axver said:

I don't think that kind of stereotyping is right at all. I'm not an eighties fan in the sense that I was alive and supported the band then, as I wasn't born until 1987

(Me too, I was born in 1984 - and I love their 80's stuff)

but I think U2 have never topped The Unforgettable Fire

(I love that album so very much!)

And I really don't see why some people think it's wrong to like every single U2 song ...

(I KNOW! Why is it wrong?! My favorite U2 songs come from EVERY era (from Boy to HTDAAB). (Of course, I can't say that I like every U2 song, but I'd say I enjoy 90-95% of them).

It is certainly not wrong to like every single U2 song. I have never said that... EVER. Although if you like every single U2 song and erupt at the slightest hint of criticism and start calling the poster a hater, then I'm sorry to say that you come off as a crazed fanatic. And I don't think I'm a troll or a hater. For proof, check out the VH1 Legends thread. Enough said. Peace.

Pero said:

So, basicly what you're saying is that your opinion rules, or what?
He's inexperienced just because he likes to ask questions and isn't afraid of it, but what matters the most, he doesn't share your opinion.
So what if dislikes ATYCLB,i don't know if he does, and you like.
He's stuck in a period and you're music god:bow:.What makes you a music god??tell me please, i wanna be just like you

Um, no.:huh: Where the fuck did you get that?

I could care less if his opinion is different then mine. It's just that he spends so much of his energy knocking U2 and that would be fine too, but the guy is clueless. He described Bono as quiet and all music that doesn't "rock out" is "pop" music. And I said he's stuck because he admits the only era he likes is Zoo TV, well that was over 10 fucking years ago, get over it.

Just read some of his posts and it will all make sense.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:
Look, Music is subjective and noone can tell you that you're wrong for liking one album or era over another. I think what bugs alot of people though about the people who diss U2s current phase are their arguments that somehow u2 have changed and now are some kind of moneygrabbing corporation.
During the "AB" Phase they were not some holy punk rockers-In fact when they released "The Fly" single in the UK they limited it to being available for a few short weeks initially-Why? To make sure it went to Number 1-U2 have been a corporation for 25 years!!

I personally have no problem with someone saying they like Pop better than HTDAAB-I do have a problem when it's coming from someone who was in diapers when Joshua Tree was released, saying that U2 have lost their way idealistically since 1998, sold their soul and now are making music for the man.

Well, I agree with you. And U2's incessant push to be "the biggest band in the world" has always been the part of them I've liked the least. I found it irritating in the 80's, intoterable in the 90's, and just plain tiresome now. Luckily, I don't watch/listen to/read many of the media outlets they use for their push. I know I'm less apt to buy their work when it is heavily promoted...I don't like overkill.

But they will promote themselves however they see fit, no one forces me to watch, hear, or read it. And I generally don't. :)

I did not describe Bono as quiet. It's amazing how people twist your words here. I said that the cool almost James Dean look that he projects in videos from Achtung (videos, NOT live shows), esp. Who's Gonna Ride in particular is gone. I'm not stuck in that era, although it is my fav. Regarding the pop definition, I'm not great at definitions I admit. Big whoop.

unnamed_streets said:
I did not describe Bono as quiet.

He used to come off as a quiet, really cool guy in a leather jacket.

Sorry I just don't think you have a good grasp as to who U2 really is. I think your posts really reflect that. It's not a bad thing. I just think you should really check them out more, listen to them more, educate yourself a little more before making some of these statements you make. I mean the statements you made in the thread to which I got this quote and the thread about U2 'selling out' are perfect examples. You got ripped to shreds in both those threads, not because your opinion is different but because your facts are all wrong.

Do Miss America said:

Sorry I just don't think you have a good grasp as to who U2 really is.

Do you? Think before you answer.

Does anyone really know who U2 really is? I think so many people thinking they do know that is part of way there are so many nasty comments thrown about. I mean, if you know The Truth and someone else disagrees, isn't that person lying (or stupid)?

You're right, but there are certain givens.

For example to say 'U2 never did ____ before ATYCLB'

When they clearly have, is just ridiculous.

There are certain facts and there are certain opinions. I can care less if our opinions don't match, for that's what makes the world go round.

But don't ignore the facts, get them wrong, or make up new ones to make your argument. And this person certainly has.

That's all I'm saying.

The problem is you take these things so seriously. I did not say "Bono did a grave injustice to us by changing his mannerisms which I can say with solid proof were different before." And I don't need to be told that I don't have a good grasp of a band that I've been listening to since 1992. This is music we're talking about. And music is always open to different interpretations by different people. Does the word SUBJECTIVE mean anything to you?

unnamed_streets said:
The problem is you take these things so seriously.
:huh: I'm not the one going around starting up all these threads. So obviously you take these things seriously enough to bitch about these things.

unnamed_streets said:

Does the word SUBJECTIVE mean anything to you?

Yes music is subjective. Like I said I have no problem with the subjective part, it's when you get the objective part wrong that I have a problem with.

schnazdoodle said:
(Me too, I was born in 1984 - and I love their 80's stuff)

Ditto.

Originally posted by schnazdoodle
(I love that album so very much!)

As do I.

Originally posted by schnazdoodle
(I KNOW! Why is it wrong?! My favorite U2 songs come from EVERY era (from Boy to HTDAAB). (Of course, I can't say that I like every U2 song, but I'd say I enjoy 90-95% of them).

:yes:.

By the way, I'm thinking everyone here needs to take a few deep breaths...:uhoh:...

Angela

I'm another one of those people who missed out on a lot of U2's music when it first came out, mostly due to my age, but I still love every era of U2. I regularly listen to all their albums, and while I may like certain songs more than others, there aren't any that I hate or really even skip over. I don't have a problem with people criticizing the band, as long as they don't deny me the right to disagree with that criticism. And I REALLY don't get the whole "Sell-out" thing. Equating promotion with selling out, when anyone with any business sense is going to want their albums to sell, just doesn't fly with me. I think it's great that they're the biggest band on the planet (mostly because I also think they're the best, and it's nice to see that greatness can be rewarded sometimes. :) )

One thing I seem to notice on here is that the discussion is dominated by younger fans--that's ok--us older fans probably don't have the same intensity about the band as we once did. But if you sampled a wide array of opinions about the band today, my guess is that the older (say 30+) fans would agree that the band has lost a certain amount of aura or mystique that they once had. Let's face it--rock n roll is a young person's game. And this has nothing to do with ticket sales or "selling out". The Stones would still sell out every arena they played if they announced a tour tomorrow. I'm just glad that U2 is way more relevant at this point in their carreer than almost any other band has been 25 years in. In my opinion, the last album has been a nice comeback form some pretty down times--the same times that some of the younger fans seem to be embracing.

RobH said:
But if you sampled a wide array of opinions about the band today, my guess is that the older (say 30+) fans would agree that the band has lost a certain amount of aura or mystique that they once had. Let's face it--rock n roll is a young person's game.

Couldn't DISAGREE with you more.

That's why we need a wide sample--neither my opinion nor yours makes us right--my theory is based on the fans I know and interact with, all of us in our mid to late thirties.

RobH said:
One thing I seem to notice on here is that the discussion is dominated by younger fans--that's ok--us older fans probably don't have the same intensity about the band as we once did. But if you sampled a wide array of opinions about the band today, my guess is that the older (say 30+) fans would agree that the band has lost a certain amount of aura or mystique that they once had.

I'm one of those "older" fans, and I too disagree quite strongly with this.

I hate ATYCLB (yes, H. A. T. E.)... but beside that I'm a perfect fan a.k.a. blind follower...

oh yeah, one more thing:
HTDAAB is my 3rd or 4th (depends) favorite album... so I get realy annoyed when people call it the same as ATYCLB...

that's the end of my "sins"...

I also do not like "All", but "Bomb" has been growing on me. Not in top 5, but better than a few.

Do Miss America said:

:huh: I'm not the one going around starting up all these threads. So obviously you take these things seriously enough to bitch about these things.

Yes music is subjective. Like I said I have no problem with the subjective part, it's when you get the objective part wrong that I have a problem with.

:up: :up: What's worse is that a certain number of posters seem to be actually gaining pleasure from their repetitive, boring criticisms of the new album. I don't mind criticism, even (at times) misplaced criticism, but when you see the same posters, posting the same negative comments and at the same time enjoying it, you have to think...what are you doing on a U2 'fan' site?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom