Exactly what happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
doctorwho said:

Careful now... comparing eras isn't always so easy.

JT and AB also benefitted tremendously from the advent of the CD. Many people bought JT and AB on tape or vinyl - only to then buy it on CD as well (this was especially true for JT).

Also, neither JT or AB endured the download era.

U2 is one of the top selling artists since 2000, which is incredible when one realizes that they are also one of the most downloaded artists of this decade. If people couldn't illegally download their work, one wonders how much better ATYCLB and, now, HTDAAB would have sold.

Lastly, both JT and AB have been around a lot longer than ATYCLB. So they have had years to gather catalog sales. U2 have sold millions of albums in catalog sales in the SoundScan era. ATYCLB hasn't had as much time to enjoy these catalog sales.

True, but I think it's fair to say JT wipes the floor with ATYCLB considering the massive amounts of time it spent at #1 on charts worldwide - wasn't it #1 for something ridiculous like half the year in France? Not even AB can really equal JT for success, it seems to me.

The thing is... there is nothing wrong in making sunny, uplifting music! Most people who complain are not complaining because they left all the darkness, the bitterness, the irony and the experimentation behind.. I don't think. But the crushing disappointment was really, at least for me, in the realization that ATYCLB could've been better. Especially after listening to the songs that weren't included like Ground Beneath (in the US), Stateless, Levitate etc. It's in fact great that they radically changed their direction after Pop. Who wants the same 90s formula repeated over and over again? Not me. But songs like Elevation, Stuck (album version), IALW, Wild Honey and Grace just aren't on par with their past work! They sound like U2 lite... U2 diluted.... There is nothing wrong in making cheerful / uplifting music. But ATYCLB on first listen sounded like they lost their magic touch just a bit. The fault lies I think partly in the sometimes poor lyrics (ending of Kite, Grace rhymes, parts of IALW...) Oh well, they're human after all. And this is just an opinion.

Originally posted by Utoo

Dude, how can you say you have no problem with the lyrics, then say but a lot of them are "crapfests," and then say you're not judging them? :scratch:

Like this - I have no problem with most of the lyrics, but a lot of them are crapfests. I'm not sure what you dont understand there...do you want me to quantify? Ok, I think a little more than half of the lyrics are fine, great, stuff that I appreciate. Around a quarter I'm indifferent to, and about a quarter I think suck outright, such as most of Elevation, New York, WILATW (although there are good lyrics in those songs as well).

You missed the point. It's not that there was never such a radical change before. It's that this one has gotten nowhere near the documentation that the previous one received. People have a very good idea about what was going on with the band in 89, but 99 is a different story, and an interesting one to me.

Zootlesque said:
The thing is... there is nothing wrong in making sunny, uplifting music!

It's in fact great that they radically changed their direction after Pop. Who wants the same 90s formula repeated over and over again?

There is nothing wrong in making cheerful / uplifting music.

Exactly. It seems that whenever someone brings up the old ATYCLB/Pop issue and brings out specifics to compare them, people mistake them for value judgements.

what I don't understand is why everyone, including u2, describe ATYCLB as "stripped down" and "a return to 4 guys playing in a room". please.
has anyone heard beautiful day? now, that song has a drum loop, and least 3 different keyboard parts, sampled backing vocals, and lots of sound effects in various parts. now, compare that to discoteque: a sound effect for the intro, a drum loop, and a percussion track on the pre chorus.
everything else on that track is guitar, bass and drums. now, that's only complaring the first singles. if you want to go track by track, I'll show you how the idea that ATYCLB is stripped down was media hype by u2 to win back anyone turned off by their suppossed electronica direction.
stop comparing ATYCLB to Boy, October, War, etc.
There is a TON of production on ATYCLB.

it's produced to the max, i agree completely 7ofo.

beautiful day is a great song.

in a little while is tolerable.

kite is...tolerable.

the rest? i hope i never hear any of it again, which is a shame in the case of new york considering the music bed is really nice until bono totally destroys it with his unbelievably weak lyrics.

Re: Re: Exactly what happened?

bathiu said:

to quote one of the ATYCLB songs:

"mid life crisis"

Strange, everyone I knows thinks POP was the midlife crisis, dressing up like clowns and pretending to be something they aren't to prove they were hip and not old.

It didn't work, they made fools of themselves, almost lost their legacy in rock, and came to their senses. Or rather, like Darth Vader, came back to their true selves they had only forgotten.

I know there will be those who will yell at me for this, but that's the way it looks to me.

Re: Re: Re: Exactly what happened?

RocknRollKitty said:

Strange, everyone I knows thinks POP was the midlife crisis, dressing up like clowns and pretending to be something they aren't to prove they were hip and not old.

It didn't work, they made fools of themselves, almost lost their legacy in rock, and came to their senses. Or rather, like Darth Vader, came back to their true selves they had only forgotten.

I know there will be those who will yell at me for this, but that's the way it looks to me.

But why do you think that's what Pop was?
Why do you think it was to prove they were hip and not old?
What do you think is their 'true selves'?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Exactly what happened?

Earnie Shavers said:

What do you think is their 'true selves'?

We will never know. But the guys sure had one fucking blast of a time in the 90s!!! That tells me something.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Exactly what happened?

Zootlesque said:

We will never know. But the guys sure had one fucking blast of a time in the 90s!!! That tells me something.

They had a great time on the ZooTV and Zooropa tours. I don't think they had nearly so much fun on the PopMart tour.
I remeber looking Bono in the eye's during the Seattle PopMart gig and he looked bitter, bald, old and very depressed. Poor Bono.
But it made for one hell of a show. :wink:

Sorry everyone. I should have clarified. I meant their tour was the most successful. ATYCLB was far from their most successful album. I think I was kinda stating my opinion as fact too. I am just tired of seeing 00 era getting bashed. It has improved and it is good to see. I understand some people just don't think it compares, but each to his own.

To tomtom, Sorry if I took your comments the wrong way, it just looked like you were bashing ATYCLB when you said Adam's Bass wasn't as evident and the lyrics were cheesy.

And inmyplace13, yes you are right I am missing 5 albums. So you have a good point. I meant favourite out of all the albums I have.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Exactly what happened?

Earnie Shavers said:

Are you actually being serious? If so, why?

Yes, I'm being serious, especially with regard to their early albums. The early albums were most certainly an outpouring of U2's true selves - especially Bono's self. Indeed, even getting to JT/RAH, it was very much U2's true selves as it illustrated their personal fascination in certain musical styles and the journey they took exploring their interest.

Then they started putting on masks with AB and wore them for a few albums until they removed them in the late nineties. But some masks are hard to take off. Especially the mask of rockstar greed. While I wouldn't say U2 are greedy per se, there's no chance in hell they'd do tours like Lovetown now because it's not as profitable as touring the USA twice.

Re: Re: Exactly what happened?

rjhbonovox said:

Had to get back in the charts....so made catchy chart music......dah dah dah Beautiful Day bah de dah.....:wink:

Though they weren't actually out of the UK charts, In fact Pop had comparatively better success in the charts than the singles from AB, breaking the top ten on more occasions.

AB
- Fly - chart pos 1
- mysterious ways - chart pos 13
- Wild Horses - chart pos 14
- Even Better - chart pos 12
- Even better (remixes) chart pos 8
- One - Chart pos 7

Zooropa
- Stay - Chart pos 4

POP
- Discotheque - Chart pos 1
- Staring at the Sun - Chart pos 3
- Please - Chart pos 7
- Last Night on Earth - Chart pos 10
- If God will send - chart pos 12

ATYCLB
- Beautiful day - chart pos 1
- Walk on - Chart pos 5
- Elevation - Chart pos 3
- Stuck in amoment - chart pos 2

apologies if ive missed any. ive not included uncharted - ie mofo / numb which were either limited or 'b- releases'. Passengers also reached pos 6 with miss sarajevo.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Exactly what happened?

Axver said:

Yes, I'm being serious, especially with regard to their early albums. The early albums were most certainly an outpouring of U2's true selves - especially Bono's self. Indeed, even getting to JT/RAH, it was very much U2's true selves as it illustrated their personal fascination in certain musical styles and the journey they took exploring their interest.

So what room do you give a band for growth? Why on earth is Edge's 90's fascination with what electronica can do for their sound any different to his late 80's fascination with what American music can do for their sound? (To very greatly simplify everything). I honestly can't see the difference and consider both the exact same thing.

Axver said:

Then they started putting on masks with AB and wore them for a few albums until they removed them in the late nineties.

But that was part of the fascination. Music, or the greater art, doesn't have to be simply bound by what is on the CD. The ZooTV tour is very, very much a part of the greater art of Achtung Baby and Zooropa.

Also, these are simply defences for highly personal topics. That Mr MacPhisto performance of Lemon fading into With Or Without You off the Sydney ZooTV video reveals so much of the story of that song and says so much more about Bono than that song alone. All you really need to know about the guy is in that space of 12 minutes or so covering the two songs. If anything, the masks are the thing which makes them feel comfortable enough to reveal themselves even further, and those three albums (particularly Achtung and Pop) were more personally honest than the larger part of their work previous. The ability to 'act' and put on the mask, to feel enough of a distance between yourself and the subject to accurately portray the truth - I think they were far better for it. If you thought that the masks were dishonest.... Bung! You fell for it.

There are very good reasons why the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are the heavyweight kings of U2's catalogue. Joshua Tree is a ridiculously great album of fantastic music, while Achtung Baby seems to completely rip people open from the inside - and you can't get more honest than that.

The band underwent a mammoth change in between R&H and Achtung. One that may have been far simpler just 6 years before, but once they were firmly in the position of 'biggest band in the world', as they were, it wasn't so simple to just jump off in a different direction and open right up. I'd suggest that if U2 wanted to shift from The Bomb into such an extreme direction, they would need to usher it in in a similar way - take everything right out there along with the music. Usher it in as a show, as an act, and see how many people see that the mask is revealing so much more. I'm sure that there are probably a dozen quotes from Bono that actually back this up.

Axver said:

But some masks are hard to take off. Especially the mask of rockstar greed. While I wouldn't say U2 are greedy per se, there's no chance in hell they'd do tours like Lovetown now because it's not as profitable as touring the USA twice.

I don't disagree with the greed part, but bringing monsters like ZooTV and Popmart to so many places certainly goes against that argument. Both were guaranteed to lose money in places like Australia. Time spent on obviously low scale work such as Passengers goes against that argument as well. I think ambition was huge in the 90's and it, umm, bit the nails of success which brought us to where we are today, but I don't think there was anything dishonest in the 90's whatsoever.

To answer the original question, I think U2 are keeping to their true selves as long as they are moving their art, their music, their talent forward and are being honest in their motivations and the resulting created songs. Pop is just as honest as Boy to me. Achtung as Unforgettable Fire.

Zooropa is actually probably the most honest and 'true to themselves' album they ever recorded in one sense. No real pre thought. Get into the studio simply because they have an overflow of creative energy and because at the time they really didn't know how to do anything else. Start mucking around and recording with no need or hint of an album, purely and simply because it's what they wanted and needed to do as creative musicians. Knock out a bunch of songs in a very short period of time. Release the thing without so much as a second thought. Fucking brilliant.

Last edited:
COBL_04 said:

And inmyplace13, yes you are right I am missing 5 albums. So you have a good point. I meant favourite out of all the albums I have.

I wish I was missing 5 albums :sad:
Then I would have 5 new albums to listen to
some people get all the freakin luck!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Exactly what happened?

Earnie, I'd like to reply to most of your post generally for ease. Put simply, I agree that the utilisation of masks allowed for some very personal self-expression, best defined in Acrobat. However, those masks created distance, and while that distance may have allowed U2 some freedom to more readily release certain emotions, it also allowed for distortion, exaggeration, and misinterpretation. I am well aware of the entire point of the nineties, the irony and the satire, but some of it rubs me totally the wrong way. Sometimes I wonder if at times, The Fly stopped being a stage mask used for expression and actually became more and more Bono. On the other hand, there's no masking, no disguising, and ultimately no distance in the eighties records. What you get is U2, their true selves, with no distortion or disguise. The people inside sometimes are hidden by the masks in the nineties - sometimes I think Bono was too convincing in the role of sleazy rock star - while the people who made October or War have just completely opened themselves up for anyone to see clearly. It is, I feel, a far truer self than what you can see through the masks of the nineties.

I don't disagree with the greed part, but bringing monsters like ZooTV and Popmart to so many places certainly goes against that argument. Both were guaranteed to lose money in places like Australia. Time spent on obviously low scale work such as Passengers goes against that argument as well. I think ambition was huge in the 90's and it, umm, bit the nails of success which brought us to where we are today, but I don't think there was anything dishonest in the 90's whatsoever.

Of course, in 1992-93, there was still some honest touring ethos. You can see that evaporating in 1998 when they initially planned to go to New Zealand but cut it. I recognise all the counter-arguments to this, though - such as those you presented and all the new territory they hit on Popmart. I think the greed element portrayed through masks of the nineties masks had little serious influence until the masks were removed and that element didn't go anywhere. The commercial decisions post-Pop definitely hint that the greed element portrayed through masks in the nineties has lingered in a more real form today. 1992 U2 may've made some greedy appearances (Mirrorball Man, anyone?), but they believed enough in their music to tour even where it wasn't profitable. 2001 U2 didn't seem to have the same belief.

By the way, if I've missed any point of yours that you'd like me to address, please, just point it out and I'd be more than happy to reply. I feel I should point out that I feel much of what you said is valid and don't have a serious disagreement.

No, you pretty much covered it all. I still disagree on some points, not on what you are actually saying but the way you read into it. I mean, as one example (one that I guess neither of us will ever be able to answer unless we ever spend a decent amount of time around the guy, ie never) who do you think is more the 'real' Bono? Do you think he's the 80's guy and that the 90's mask was a fraud that overtook him? Do you think he always was more the 90's guy and The Fly character was the coming out party, ie if Bono got up there in Joshua Tree dress and spirit with a ciggy hanging out of his mouth and went off on sexual innuendos and songs about being tempted to cheat on your partner it wouldn't have gone down so well, therefore he needed the distance of the mask, the belief in the act (and plenty here cling to that belief dearly) to 'unleash' that side of their collective personalities? Or do you think that perhaps the truth is in the middle ground, that of course Bono in his early 20's in the early 80's was just naturally a very different person to Bono in the early 90's in his early 30's? I sure as hell am and I haven't had over a decade of international rock god status and all it's experiences under my belt (nor am I over 30, or even really out of my mid 20's and I'm almost completely different to age 21 or so). What I mean is, by saying I think they were actually perfectly honest - musically or stylisticly, or image wise or whatever - in the 90's doesn't say that they weren't in the 80's or aren't today, and just that it's all growth and it's all therefore their true selves.

You can look at it another way. Bono and other band members often complain in hindsight about their image in the 80's. Not liking that they were taken and treated so seriously. All those sullen photo shoots and very serious songs and very serious lectures and whatnot. He often talks of the "Cutting down the Joshua Tree" idea as being as much about that albums cover photo and the image it represented as any musical reference. You could in a way describe that image and reputation as a mask in itself, whether it were by accident or design, the white flag waving Bono in a sense is as much a character as the leather clad Fly. Obviously not created in the same sense, but certainly ended up that way. I guess, The Fly as a character, but the white flag waver became a charicature is what I'm trying to say.

So then in the 90's we know the story. Characters and masks put up there in part to create a larger artistic story (and we would all certainly poorer for not having it) and partly to create the necessary distance from the old image to usher in the topics and music at hand. I guess what that meant in the long term is where we disagree.

So then in the 00's is it safe to say that they are at it once again, either by accident or design? You talk about the apparent greed of their touring. There are those that believe in their greed as evidenced by dumbing their music to a highly commercial level for the maximum buck, based loosely on old turf, never covering any real new ground. Others will point to iPod ads, increased ticket prices, $40 just to access some of their website. Meanwhile they mask it with "back to basics, no bullshit, just the songs, just a melody, god bless Africa" while he chuffs down US$200 bottles of wine over lunch with reporters (talking about Africa), buys up a $40million apartment, spins around in new $500K Italian cars and starts up a venture capital company based entirely around creative selling of music (and other entertainment). In that sense, has Bono become the Mirrorball Man? Preaching for money?

I guess there's always been a bit of hypocracy in their image, their masks, their characters?

Earnie Shavers said:
I still disagree on some points, not on what you are actually saying but the way you read into it. I mean, as one example (one that I guess neither of us will ever be able to answer unless we ever spend a decent amount of time around the guy, ie never) who do you think is more the 'real' Bono?

My interpretation of events in the nineties is definitely where I'm at odds with many fans here, and while I appreciate the music, I'm not so sure where I stand on some of the baggage that came with it. You speak of the eighties with the "sullen photo shoots and very serious songs and very serious lectures" and that's what I love. It's so at odds with the whole rockstar image of trashing hotel rooms and sleeping with lots of women, while some of the nineties puts me off by the apparent embrace of some of the rockstar sleaze. Emphasis on 'apparent'.

Regarding who is the 'true Bono', I think you absolutely nailed it here:

Or do you think that perhaps the truth is in the middle ground, that of course Bono in his early 20's in the early 80's was just naturally a very different person to Bono in the early 90's in his early 30's?

The evolution of Bono's character is quite clear through the albums - you can hear the young enthusiasm and fervour on October, the frustration with politics and cycle of violence on War, the spiritual depression of Wake Up Dead Man, the rediscovery of joy on ATYCLB, et cetera. I would like to know just what influenced the dramatic personality change that led to Achtung Baby. I see no reason to question Bono's sincerity at the end of Lovetown: we know the band were getting frustrated and tired but there's not a real hint of The Fly persona. Yet suddenly, less than a year after the end of Lovetown, Bono's coming up with what ended up on Achtung Baby. Did simply putting on the fly shades and reading The Screwtape Letters influence him that much that quickly to create characters? I suppose I can believe the development of The Fly could've been as spontaneous as that - I've come across creative ideas that have radically changed the direction of things I've been working on, so Bono could've thought "hey, I can use this" and suddenly, everything spirals outwards, hitting upon concepts previously untouched.

This all said, I still feel that while the masks were used as a means of true self-expression, their inherent nature creates distance, distortion, and even exaggeration. I don't think 'characters' of the eighties such as Bono the White Flag Waver are quite the same as they are caricatures people created of Bono's means of expressing himself through fervent honesty. He runs out there with his white flag, leading political process, and people ascribe him a character to simplify/stereotype/exaggerate his personality; meanwhile, he created The Fly mask himself for his self-expression.

In that sense, has Bono become the Mirrorball Man? Preaching for money?

I guess there's always been a bit of hypocracy in their image, their masks, their characters?

My very simple response is three words I am sure you know well: "contradiction is balance."

Axver said:

some of the nineties puts me off by the apparent embrace of some of the rockstar sleaze. Emphasis on 'apparent'.

The funny thing is that it's that exact change what attracted me to U2 in the first place.

I think they parodied the sleaze, that's why it was so clever.

The darkness of it all, the irony, the sinister side of pop despite it's bright lights. It's contrast between materialism and spiritualism

The whole macphisto concept of the fallen star.

brilliant - u2 at their absolute intellectual best.

Axver said:

My interpretation of events in the nineties is definitely where I'm at odds with many fans here, and while I appreciate the music, I'm not so sure where I stand on some of the baggage that came with it. You speak of the eighties with the "sullen photo shoots and very serious songs and very serious lectures" and that's what I love. It's so at odds with the whole rockstar image of trashing hotel rooms and sleeping with lots of women, while some of the nineties puts me off by the apparent embrace of some of the rockstar sleaze. Emphasis on 'apparent'.

-------------------

I would like to know just what influenced the dramatic personality change that led to Achtung Baby. I see no reason to question Bono's sincerity at the end of Lovetown: we know the band were getting frustrated and tired but there's not a real hint of The Fly persona. Yet suddenly, less than a year after the end of Lovetown, Bono's coming up with what ended up on Achtung Baby.

Have you read "At The End of the World"? They're on the Australian ZooTV leg, and Bono is sitting on the balcony of his Sydney hotel with the author ( and after talking up how spectacular Sydney is :wink: ) Bono points over to a nearby hotel and says that that is where he started to write the songs that became Achtung Baby, so I think it does edge into Lovetown. And again I don't think it would have been something that suddenly snapped, but a creeping need to kill off the caricature that rightly or wrongly he and they had become, and create a new one that they had complete control over and gave them the licence to be what they also wanted to be creatively. Again, back to the book, it documents the 'birth' of The Fly and it's all actually pretty natural and mostly begins as a laugh. I think I may re-read it. Haven't for a few years.... And if you haven't, you really should. It is still the most open account written on the band, the best access anyone has had and the closest to the truth you'll find from any era. You'll learn a lot about their 90's motivations and music.

As for the rock'n'roll sleaze and how much of it is real and how much is acting, we have no idea, although I would suggest that a lot of U2 fans are a little over protective of dear old Bono and even a beginners listen to those 90's albums suggests the guy certainly knows what he is talking about. It was actually only a few weeks ago that I had my girlfriend in the car while Achtung Baby was spinning, and she is no U2 fan, knows zero about the songs and their meanings and whatever, knows only the 'celebrity' version of their lives. 'Mysterious Ways' comes on and she's listening in and out of nowhere says "You know, I really want to believe that Bono is a nice guy" and I said something along the lines of "Huh?!?" and she said, "Well, that whole forever married to his childhood sweetheart thing. I mean, this song is clearly about fucking someone other than the person you love, right?" Might be a misguided interpretation, but essentially, give or take a song or two that land somewhere else, half of Achtung Baby is about having awful things done to your heart (which we assume is the Edge's story from the time), and the other half is about doing awful things to someone elses heart (which we like to think is Bono's imagination). The fact is, the stories, the whole Nighttown thing, the whole sun/moon temptation thing - it's not all make believe.

It might always have been in there, it might have been part of that growth, something they were in the middle of just at that time. I don't think they were room trashing, hooker fucking, nightmare rock star cliches at all. I think they were the biggest band in the world, some of musics greatest celebrities and that serious temptation came with that. The kind that maybe wasn't resisted at every turn, and it became the natural and honest dominant emotional influence and therefore creative influence. I think they then overblew that into the larger than life caricatures deliberately. Like I said, if the 80's U2 got up there, the "straight up honest" U2, and sang the Achtung songs with the same seriousness as he waved that white flag, we'd all take it as gospel that Bono fooled around, but with the characters and masks in place, there's room there for us, even the most skeptical of Saint Bono, to still go "Hmmm, don't know about that..."

Axver said:

This all said, I still feel that while the masks were used as a means of true self-expression, their inherent nature creates distance, distortion, and even exaggeration. I don't think 'characters' of the eighties such as Bono the White Flag Waver are quite the same as they are caricatures people created of Bono's means of expressing himself through fervent honesty. He runs out there with his white flag, leading political process, and people ascribe him a character to simplify/stereotype/exaggerate his personality; meanwhile, he created The Fly mask himself for his self-expression.

I agree 100%. It still did become his caricature though. Whether he liked it or not, or intended it or not, he became that caricature. I think he did learn from that, and even to the point of forever wearing those fucking shades, he learned that if it's going to happen, best he's in control of it.

Axver said:

My very simple response is three words I am sure you know well: "contradiction is balance."

Tell that to my boss.

What happened between 1997 and 2000 ?
Well, U2 rejected its 80's image and music in the 90's, but in 1998 for the Best Of they had to listen to their 80's material, they may have realized that their 80's music was not so bad, that irony is not eternally funny and entertaining, that when you are close to 40 you don't want to be drunk and dressed as McPhisto every nights.
I disagree when people consider that there is a trio AB/Zooropa/pop, i think the trio is AB/Zooropa/Passengers. Bono said in an interview after the Passengers release that the next album would be a Rock'n'Roll album (does it remind you of something ? :wink:).
But Pop became the link between the experimentation and a classic U2, not a pure Rock'n'Roll record.
Pop is a mix of electronic beats (Disco, DYFL, Mofo, Miami) and classic rock songs (Gone, LNOE, WUDM), so ATYCLB is a very logic continuation to Pop.
Electronic (Passengers, or Zooropa if you consider that "original soundtracks" is not a U2 album), electronic + guitar (Pop), guitar (ATYCLB).

guill said:
Bono said in an interview after the Passengers release that the next album would be a Rock'n'Roll album (does it remind you of something ? :wink:).

He was right that time.

I don't really buy the trilogy thing. I think it's more a fluke and what we lump together as 'similar' albums are still often so far apart it's ridiculous.

The only thing I really disagree with from your above post though is that ATYCLB's evolutionary path after Pop was one guided by the instrumentation/equipment used. I think it was one guided by the ideology used. Wait, I'm really tired and not sure if that made sense. I think what I mean is, Achtung to Zooropa to Passengers to Pop makes sense, but Pop to ATYCLB had different influences in between, which is why it's a slightly different transition to normal. It's right that it's closer to the R&H to Achtung jump, just that it's for different reasons. Almost the opposite reasons in many ways. Blah, goodnight.

1997--2000

You know, The Beatles really sold out when they put out Abbey Road... There were far too many catchy tunes on there -- they should have been proving their integrity by trying to sound like the Velvet Underground.

I get the original poster's point, but this thread is a bit ridiculous. U2 is a major-label band that sells millions of albums in numerous countries and has been doing so since at least 1983. They're not going to suddenly turn into Radiohead circa Kid-A unless something severe happened to change the perspective all of them had, simultaneously. They grow artistically of course, but it's not like they put out Pop thinking it would tank -- they had booked football stadiums and clearly tried to make a commercial album, as they always do and as they should. I believe Pop sold about 7 million just in 1997? Not exactly a turd. They're a "big statement" band that goes for the jugular with every release.

As for the change between 1997 and 2000.... Yes, undoubtedly they did sit back and reflect on what worked and didn't work in the Pop period; they themselves have commented publicly on this many times. I'm sure their age, the relatively moderate success of Pop in the USA, the minor critical backlash, and the changing trends of the times all influenced their approach to ATYCLB.

And what? I don't understand how the latter LP is more of a sell-out than Pop, which they played a mega-tour for and did TV promos and publicity stunts for when it was released.

I like the Pop lyrics, but I think the ATYCLB ones are quite superior (by the way, I'm applying for PhD in English Lit.). Obviously a song with a chorus like "It's a Beautiful Day" is going to be more accessible to the masses than "It's the Last Night On Earth." But then again the bizarre imagery in "The Fly" matched Beautiful Day in the UK charts, " and "One more in the name of Love" missed the US top 30. Lyrically, the Pop album is Bono's depressed, ironic, and sardonic take on post-modern culture in the spiritually bankrupt West, and ATYCLB is his spiritual reaffirmation of the ability of the individual to survive the landscape outlined in Pop. In any case I don't think lyrics make one LP more popular than another. If anything is more self-consciously accessible on ATYCLB, it's the production, which I found a bit disappointing. I personally think Lanois did a bad job with it, but I know the popular opinion is against me on that. It's a little too slick sounding, too little bass (as someone said), and Bono's vox is way too high in the mix. But is no more a sell-out than War was.

One more thing: why does everyone crap on the New York lyrics?? If you ask me, as far as pop poetry goes, they're not far from genius.

I agree with you there - the lyrics to "New York" are totally in keeping with the beat poetry rhymes and word patterns that Bono got very "fan-boy" with on tracks like "Miami." "New York" is the distillation of that kind of writing, which isn't something Bono's done a lot of in the past, and it totally works. It's spontaneous and poetic without attempting to be poetic.

Re: 1997--2000

65980 said:
I like the Pop lyrics, but I think the ATYCLB ones are quite superior (by the way, I'm applying for PhD in English Lit.).

All you need is love - man. :wink:

Don't know if it was already mentioned, but in between POP and ATYCLB they also did the Million Dollar Hotel (MDH) soundtrack which was a brilliant synthesis of the "arty" 90's U2 and pop sensibility, although it still retained a pure avant-garde-ism, ala Passengers.

I wish they would pick up the stuff where MDH left off - not as commercially viable as the last 2 records, but artistically light years away from HTDAAB and most of AYCLB

Axver said:

I would like to know just what influenced the dramatic personality change that led to Achtung Baby. I see no reason to question Bono's sincerity at the end of Lovetown: we know the band were getting frustrated and tired but there's not a real hint of The Fly persona. Yet suddenly, less than a year after the end of Lovetown, Bono's coming up with what ended up on Achtung Baby.

This is very though-provoking thread...If the band ever comes here to read the posts, I'm sure they'd be impressed with this one.

Axver, and others interested in the transition to Achtung Baby, may be interested in a great website called u2source.com. It's got an amazing number of audio clips and interviews that chart the band's growth, virtually from Larry's kitchen to present day.

As for Bono's Fly persona, I'm convinced it is inspired, at least in part, with the life and death of Roy Orbison. Think of the sunglasses (which contrary to public thought, were not connected to with Orbison's rumoured blindness...he wasn't), the fact that Bono and Edge had penned a song on Orbison's final album, and consider the date of Orbison's death: late 1988, just a year before Bono says the band has to "Dream it all up again."

And then, there's this...from a Roy Orbison fansite:

14-04-2005

Bono:

I was introduced to Roy Orbison’s music at a very late stage. I was given the soundtrack to Blue Velvet by the Edge’s wife. I was in London in the summer, and it was kind of hot and humid. It was one of those nights where I couldn’t sleep, and I just listened to “In Dreams” over and over all night. It’s the most extraordinary pop song. I think it’s five or six completely different melodic sections tied together. It breaks all the rules of pop music. I hadn’t realized he was such an innovator. And I’d never heard a voice quite like it. There seemed to be this Pandora’s box that he opened up, and there seemed to be all the dreams and nightmares in there, all mixed up.

He was a bit of a magician. He was as gentle and wise and as mysterious as his voice. I felt completely out of my depth in writing a song for him (“She’s a Mystery to Me”). When he went to sing the song in the studio, I stood beside him and sang with him. He didn’t seem to be singing. So I thought, “He’ll sing it the next take. He’s just reading the words.” And then we went in to listen to the take, and there was this voice, which was the loudest whisper I’ve ever heard. He had been singing it. But he hardly moved his lips. And the voice was louder than the band in its own way. I don’t know how he did that. It was like sleight of hand.

Back
Top Bottom