Elvis Presley And America reveals all!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Vest

Refugee
I'm just listening to Elvis Presley And America.
Unbelievable.
This song has so much in it it's worth another listen if you haven't heard it in awhile.
It may reveal all of what U2 are about.

i can not speak highly enough of that song. Pure brilliance. my top 5 u2 songs of all time

you either love it or you hate it.

I see the beauty in this song, it reaks of brilliance

i love this song to bits, always have since the first time i heard it. some u2 songs have this unearthly, haunting, hypnotic quality that makes me get lost in the music, and this is definitely one of them.

i've come to realize that my favourite u2 songs are the ones where the band is improvising, bono is spouting bono-ese, and you can't be sure of the song's exact meaning (or even the lyrics).

gorgeous song.

:up:

I would like to use my 9000th post to say that this song is criminally under-rated. It's a haunting atmospheric trip guided by Bono's voice, and shows his awesome improvisational lyrical ability. The ending always leaves me with chills.

I'm with you, Harry!

You don't try to decipher the lyrics as much as listen to the images they paint...the ruin of a life(and possibly much more)!

A while ago, Bono himself quoted that we wasn't really satisfied with some songs in the past (the eighties). He said in particular that "Elvis Presley And America" was a "lot of rubbish".

And I'm not kidding!!!

He said that I think, a year ago or something.

Axver said:
I would like to use my 9000th post to say that this song is criminally under-rated. It's a haunting atmospheric trip guided by Bono's voice, and shows his awesome improvisational lyrical ability. The ending always leaves me with chills.

No Axver you're wrong because 26/12/89 OTH does the same but 1000000000x better.

[/axver]

Well Bono doesn't even know his own songs anymore if he said Elvis Presley And America was "rubbish" - this coming from a guy who insists on performing RUBBISH like Elevation every night. Love the man but sometimes he can be SO wrong!!!

dandy said:
i love this song to bits, always have since the first time i heard it. some u2 songs have this unearthly, haunting, hypnotic quality that makes me get lost in the music, and this is definitely one of them.

i've come to realize that my favourite u2 songs are the ones where the band is improvising, bono is spouting bono-ese, and you can't be sure of the song's exact meaning (or even the lyrics).

gorgeous song.

couldn't have said it better myself.

BassTrap82 said:
A while ago, Bono himself quoted that we wasn't really satisfied with some songs in the past (the eighties). He said in particular that "Elvis Presley And America" was a "lot of rubbish".

And I'm not kidding!!!

He said that I think, a year ago or something.

well, crap. i better not like it anymore then. :rolleyes:

it's actually one of U2's most brilliant songs. back when they weren't afraid to experiment with sound. it also happens to be my very favorite U2 song, and has been for twenty years.

I have always been unable to understand the hate for that song. So what if you cant understand the lyrics! The tension that builds up toward the end and the feeling and emotion in that song make it one of my favorites.

"and you pick me up, bits and pieces on this floor"

I totally get EP&A. It is a highlight on album full of highlights. Do not listen to Bono, this song is awesome. How many Beatles songs did John Lennon dismiss as being worthless? Just about all of them.

It fits perfectly with the dreamy atmosphere of the album, now if only it didn't sound so muffled..

What attracted me to the band in the first place were the atmospherics of Unforgettable Fire so, while it's not my favorite, I love its sound.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom