Elevation or Vertigo Kite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrBrau1 said:
Elevation has the full prechorus.

I'm glad you mentioned this. My favorite part of the song is the prechorus. It was sorely missed on Vertigo.

Yeah, the bad part about cutting out the second part of the prechorus, is it cuts out a really gutsy part of he song. Bono in full bloom if you will.

regardless of which version is better, this song is clear evidence that atyclb is a masterpiece.

The Vertigo version slays the Elevation version.

I think it was the only truly great, exciting ATYCLB moment that the Vertigo Tour had.

both good versions from both tours :hmm:

im gonna have to go with the Elevation version. especially the Slane Castle one.

I like both live versions. The extended guitar solo was very nice!

U2Man said:
regardless of which version is better, this song is clear evidence that atyclb is a masterpiece.

How can ATYCLB be a masterpiece when...

a. The acoustic version of Stuck is much better than the album version.

b. Elevation after Beautiful Day flows much better.

c. Walk On single version with the piano intro is 2000 times better than the album version.

Forget about including Stateless or Ground or Summer Rain or whatever. If they'd just done those 3 things, I would consider it a better album.

i thought the didgeredoo on kite on the aussie leg was a nice touch , and the releasing of the kite into the staduim, but it still didnt do as much for me as the slane kite, that one is amazing , with the emotion of loosing his dad
i was glad on melb 2 when they closed the show with bad .

slane kite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJaoD3YVopw
pretty sure he is crying in this ..

I like the Elevation one better.

Its tighter. The Vertigo one sounds too choppy to me and too many different stages to the song.

Zootlesque said:

c. Walk On single version with the piano intro is 2000 times better than the album version.

Forget about including Stateless or Ground or Summer Rain or whatever. If they'd just done those 3 things, I would consider it a better album.

any album with Stuck, Elevation, Peace on Earth, new York can hardly be called a masterpiece

60% good to excellent, 40% filler/mediocre/crap

Peace on Earth works as like a 10 second snippet before Walk On, like on the America: A Tribute to Heroes album.

The New York (Nice Mix) is better than the album version. Elevation is decent, but better live.

Zootlesque said:

ATYCLB= Masterpiece :grumpy:

mysterious_jen said:
i thought the didgeredoo on kite on the aussie leg was a nice touch , and the releasing of the kite into the staduim, but it still didnt do as much for me as the slane kite, that one is amazing , with the emotion of loosing his dad
i was glad on melb 2 when they closed the show with bad .

slane kite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJaoD3YVopw
pretty sure he is crying in this ..

Kite is such a f*cking amazing song. This version is so moving. Bono was tough to keep himself from weeping through the whole thing. It's not a good version technically for Bono (his voice cracks a lot), but it's really powerful, and I love his bits about "communication" and "talking to each other" that he tossed in, which you can only really get if you know about how cold their relationship actually was, which was expounded upon with SYCMIOYO.

LemonMelon said:

Kite is such a f*cking amazing song. This version is so moving. Bono was tough to keep himself from weeping through the whole thing. It's not a good version technically for Bono (his voice cracks a lot), but it's really powerful, and I love his bits about "communication" and "talking to each other" that he tossed in, which you can only really get if you know about how cold their relationship actually was, which was expounded upon with SYCMIOYO.

Agreed :up:

but
Kite should have replaced Sometimes you can't :blahblah: on the vertigo tour.

xaviMF22 said:

Agreed :up:

but
Kite should have replaced Sometimes you can't :blahblah: on the vertigo tour.

In a perfect word, perhaps. But, in reality, a band has to play their new material, and SYCMIOYO got a bunch of airplay as well. :wink: I think I prefer Kite, so, IMO, they both should have been played. An extended setlist never killed anyone, now did it? :sexywink:

toscano said:
any album with Stuck, Elevation, Peace on Earth, new York can hardly be called a masterpiece

I actually like Peace On Earth. :reject: Other than those 3 cliched words, it's got some of the best lyrics on the album! And I like the christmasy background music. The first songs I liked on ATYCLB were Beautiful Day, Peace On Earth, When I Look At The World and New York. Granted, NY has some clunky lyrics but I like how it soars and tumbles.

edit: Also, Peace on Earth reminds me of Pop which is my #3 favorite album of theirs! It is the only song from ATYCLB that can maybe somewhat fit on Pop I think.

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:

Kite is unbelievably moving. :up:

toscano said:

of those 4 songs, i would only have mentioned new york as a filler.

Up to now, I prefered Vertigo version, but after seeing Kite from Slane castle, my opinion has changed...

Vertigo Kite with the solo. That solo was fuckin' awesome.

On an unrelated note, I can't watch the Slane Kite because they spend the whole song zoomed in on the tail of Bono's guitar. Thanks Hamish Hamilton. It's nice to listen to though.

I like the new take on a great song......but for me, the Elevation version wins. But its probably because it reminds me of someone who aint around no more

Elevation Kite.

Perhaps Vertigo Kite if they had rehearsed it more and played it more.

As much as I like that extended solo, you can't top the emotion of the Elevation versions. Slane is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom