Don't worry baby...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocifer

Acrobat
And such a beautiful day it is at the new & improved forum... :mac:

I shall start my first post in this decorative and futuristic place with a question.

"The Fly". In ending lines, Bono sings, "the universe exploded 'cos one man's lie." Does anyone know what that is referring to? In my own personal way I thought of the Judas/Jesus thing being revisited from "Until the End of the World". Any clues?

- The Zoocifer -

?The universe exploded cuz of one man?s lie.? Hmm. I?ve always felt it might refer to the fall of Lucifer from an angel to becoming Satan and his lying to Adam and Eve about what would happen if they ate the forbidden fruit. Thus causing the order of the world to be skewed. That?s just the first thing that comes to my mind.

I always saw it as refering to Charles Darwin, the big bang and theory of evolution.

too clarify a little: the universe exploding being the big bang, and Darwin telling the lie. I've seen a few different quotes where Bono says he does not believe in evolution or that we came from nowhere or an explosion.

Last edited:
Interesting line.
IMO, the song speaks of dissilusionment and self-mocking, and rejecting the elevated, falsely inflated ego that celebrities (rock stars in particular) get in the media. Their words/actions shouldn't be taken too seriously or over glorified just for the sake of them being stars.
It's meant ironic.

Zooropa said:
When has Bono ever said he doesn't believe in evolution??? He certainly makes reference to it in "Wild Honey".

Very interesting observation about "Wild Honey". How does he refer to it in that song??????

u2loopy said:

Very interesting observation about "Wild Honey". How does he refer to it in that song??????

"In the days
When we were swinging from the trees
I was a monkey
stealing honey from a swarm of bees"

Interestingly, this lyric got them in trouble with a few christian conservatives, and also with a few parental monitering sites.

The next line:

"Did I know you?
Did I know you even then
Before clocks kept time
before the world was made"

I take that as another reference, Bono's alluding to his earlier self as a "monkey, swinging from the trees", his pre-evolution self, which was before the 'modern world of man' was made, and certainly before clocks kept time.

Zooropa said:

"In the days
When we were swinging from the trees
I was a monkey
stealing honey from a swarm of bees"

Interestingly, this lyric got them in trouble with a few christian conservatives, and also with a few parental monitering sites.

The next line:

"Did I know you?
Did I know you even then
Before clocks kept time
before the world was made"

I take that as another reference, Bono's alluding to his earlier self as a "monkey, swinging from the trees", his pre-evolution self, which was before the 'modern world of man' was made, and certainly before clocks kept time.

DOH!! *slaps forehead* How very obvious!!

I guess I just never paid attention.

Here's the quote I was thinking of Zooropa:

"People would love to sensationalise our beliefs until they meant nothing. Three of us are committed Christians. We refute the belief that man is just a higher stage of animal, that he has no spirit. I think when people start believing that, the real respect for humanity is gone. You are just a cog in a wheel, another collection of molecules. That's half the reason for a lot of the pessimism in the world."

Sorry i dont have a source or date but myguess is it's from Bono In His Own Words (where there are no sources, so annoying)

Back
Top Bottom