Doest It Suck.. When People Hate On U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonna Run 2 U

New Yorker
I had a friend seriously get mad at me for saying that U2 was better than Filter tonight...:doh:. Im sick of people, especially those that I like..who enjoy not liking U2 because it seems like the cool thing to do. I say man this song is great..."But its, U2" (I get as a response).

Bottom line is that lately i have to defend U2 so much as a band more than I find people who actually like them....

I went to the Stone Temple Pilots concert where i met two couples from Ireland who even say that they cant stand Bono haha "U2's earlier stuff were amazing, but now they can put a lump of shit in a can and sell it for millions of dollars" one of the Irishman with a deep broage (spelling?) told me at the concert

U2 have always suffered from an image problem brought about by the band themselves.
It has never been worse and they have nobody to blame but themselves.

They don't give a shit about being cool, why should I care what anyone else says about it? Fuck em. It's always been hard to defend U2 (ZooTv are you kidding me? Had to be there I guess...) but it's virtually impossible these days. I wouldn't care to even if it weren't.

I got so much shit for liking U2 when I was in middle school. It seems so weird, but in middle school my best friends even picked on me for liking them. Now, no one ever says anything to me, unless it's someone I don't care about at all. But it does suck.

I used to care, but I stopped. It feels wonderful.
Sure it sucks, but it sucks worse if you get yer blood pressure up all high cos of it.

Who/what are filter?

The only filters I know are coffee filters :der:

Yeah, me too, that's the first thing I thought about when I read the original post.
I'm afraid I may have to agree with your friend here: filters are probably better than U2 because so far U2 haven't made great coffee in the morning for me. Sorry guys.

Yeah it sucks but it's because I like them. I constantly remind myself we are all entitled to our own likes and dislikes and I think more people just need to remember that as well. And it's rude to dog someone for what they like or don't like. We all can't be the same.

U2 are the biggest rock band in the world so they are open to critisism by everyone. Everyone I know may not be a U2 fan but they have a kind of respect for U2 and there is always at least one U2 song they like. It could be worse, U2 could be like Coldplay, who are absolutely getting a pounding at the moment by critics.

U2 are the biggest rock band in the world so they are open to critisism by everyone. Everyone I know may not be a U2 fan but they have a kind of respect for U2 and there is always at least one U2 song they like. It could be worse, U2 could be like Coldplay, who are absolutely getting a pounding at the moment by critics.

lovely :)

And deservedly so....................Coldplay.....................:lol:

who are they kidding? they are simply laughable any way you look at it! :laugh:

I was in the car with some friends today and "Speed of Sound" came on the radio...and 2 people said, "wtf, is this U2?" and all I could do was laugh, and then laugh even harder when "Viva La Vida" came on next :rolleyes:

ok sorry for that surge of off-topicness......BACK ON TOPIC!!!!

It's weird, a lot of friends of mine that once hated U2 are now admitting to me that they're sort of getting into them and regardless of whether they like a song or not, they have a certain level of respect for them ....maybe it just takes some time :yes:

lovely :)

And deservedly so....................Coldplay.....................:lol:

who are they kidding? they are simply laughable any way you look at it! :laugh:

I was in the car with some friends today and "Speed of Sound" came on the radio...and 2 people said, "wtf, is this U2?" and all I could do was laugh, and then laugh even harder when "Viva La Vida" came on next :rolleyes:

You do realise you're doing exactly what you whine about people doing to U2, don't you?

You'll probably say "but they deserve it because they suck!!!"

Yeah. Right. That's just what people who don't like U2 say.

You do realise you're doing exactly what you whine about people doing to U2, don't you?

You'll probably say "but they deserve it because they suck!!!"

Yeah. Right. That's just what people who don't like U2 say.

Ok, I'm speaking with regards to my friends/acquaintances in the real world - if somebody was talking about U2 in the same way I was just talking about Coldplay, I wouldn't give a shit......Coldplay do deserve it, and not "because they suck!!!" - I think you know why.

A prejudiced pounding against Coldplay....not at all based on the music but because they are not Indie-enough, which is a sin according to many critics.

And your less learned critics of U2, similarly, don't bash U2 because of the music but because of Bono's "celebrity".

When I meet someone who doesn't like U2 (thinks they're bland, over-commercial, whatever), they usually are into more alternative music and haven't heard any of U2's 90s stuff, save maybe One and/or Mysterious Ways. I promptly give them a YouTube link to listen to The Fly.

But no one really picks on me for listening to U2... they think I'm crazy for having 737 U2 songs on my iPhone, but they don't pick on me, per se. I'm 15, so most of my peers listen to absolute crap and have no room to talk.

Ok, I'm speaking with regards to my friends/acquaintances in the real world - if somebody was talking about U2 in the same way I was just talking about Coldplay, I wouldn't give a shit......Coldplay do deserve it, and not "because they suck!!!" - I think you know why.

That doesn't make any sense.

after being a diehard fan for 20 years, I just don't care what others think... I have converted a a naysayer or two who sort of poo pooed them and then come to find out they hadn't really heard U2's music so I burnt a cd and gave it to them. After listening to it they were impressed enough to at least not be so negative about them. A lot of people are like this, they are all talk but haven't actually listened to their music just what's played on the radio.

So for the naysayers out there, go ahead be a hater.. I am not gonna stop being a fan just because of them.. Nothing will change my love for their music.

I find that people usually seem to be drawn to them when they're exposed to some live U2 stuff. My girlfriend has a very limited tolerance for U2, but was really impressed by the U23D thing because "they put on a good show."

I had a friend seriously get mad at me for saying that U2 was better than Filter tonight...:doh:. Im sick of people, especially those that I like..who enjoy not liking U2 because it seems like the cool thing to do. I say man this song is great..."But its, U2" (I get as a response).

Bottom line is that lately i have to defend U2 so much as a band more than I find people who actually like them....

I went to the Stone Temple Pilots concert where i met two couples from Ireland who even say that they cant stand Bono haha "U2's earlier stuff were amazing, but now they can put a lump of shit in a can and sell it for millions of dollars" one of the Irishman with a deep broage (spelling?) told me at the concert

So what? Why do you need to "defend" them? Different people enjoy listening to different music. Accept it and move on.

No, actually, I don't. Probably because I don't have a blind hatred for Coldplay .... that I keep mentioning again and again and again around these parts.

That's because you just don't get it. :tsk:

I always find it funny when people find it necessary to attack those who attack U2. Couldn't you at least pretend to be better than that?

Viva La Vida.

:lol:

Viva La Vida is a better album experience than ATYCLB or HTDAAB, guys. Yeah I went there.

Anyway, in all seriousness... if somebody thinks fucking Filter is a better band than U2, they don't even deserve a response. Save your breath.

Back
Top Bottom