Do you correct people who mispronounce Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have friends who say Bono Vox, and i always correct them.
They once said that they will say Bono Vox when i sleep and see if i correct them
I believe that i will

Well, Bono's nickname was taken from the Latin name of a store, 'Bono Vox,' and the correct Latin pronunciation IS in fact 'bow-no.' So, while people who mispronounce 'Bono' are obviously out of the loop when it comes to pop stars, I'd hesitate to call them ignorant--one could just as easily call Bono ignorant for not knowing how to pronounce his own namesake.

It drives me nuts when radio DJs can't pronounce it. U2 has been around for 25 years, the DJs should at least be able to pronounce their names. I also got really mad when the DJ said Pride was from the Joshua Tree. I wanted to call in to correct him but I didn't do it.

I think it just goes to show you how much a lot of people are clueless about U2 and it brings a quote from Larry Mullen to mind

"We are the biggest little cult band in the world" and I really think that is the facts.

You guys are confusing me with all your spellings, I can't hear what you mean in my head and now I'm worried I'm pronouncing Bono's name wrong...:reject:

I know I pronounce it differently whether I speak French or English, because tones are different in both languages...

well it's not Bun o, and it's not Bone o, so of course they're going to be corrected. Just tell them its Bon Jovi without the Jovi and and an o instead.

Last edited:
its pronouced Bon O not that difficult but people seem to pronounce it Bone O quite a bit either to get a rise out of you or because they dont know the difference or care.

"Bono Vox" as I have read in the past is the latin for "good voice"...not sure how its pronouced in latin because I dont speak it but I still think the way Bono pronounces it sounds much better...then throwing a dog a bone.

:wink:

I don't know anyone who mispronounces his name to begin with (expect on purpose to just tease me-it's all in good fun, though), but if I did meet someone who mispronounced it, I'd probably correct them, yeah. It wouldn't be a big issue with me, but I'd still correct them anyway, just 'cause I know it can be annoying when people don't know how to pronounce your name.

Also, LOL, 4EVRU2, that's great :p.

Angela

matt76 said:
Americans = Bah-no
Others = Bohno

Yes, though, French people really add a different tone to it (as to everything else). I find it amusing. :wink:

I do correct people who mispronounce it and I will always do it. Although some people do it just to annoy or to steal a smile from me, I can't help it - it's my nature.:p

I also remind people that he no longer uses "Vox" (as he never really liked), so he should be called solely Bono. Radio DJs do that a lot. Some of them have already received an e-mail from me.

I have notice that those who don't like him have been mocking a lot with the fact Bono is Latin for "good". :madspit:

yea, i correct poepe too, but only if they'er way off..or somethin, because different people, and different nationalities, just pernounce it a different way, and they don't mean anything by it.

Last edited:
elisa519_U2adik said:
so it's "Bah-no" ?

Americans would say it Bah-no.

The English would say it Bon-oh.

IMO, and I've always heard the band say it this way, it's simply as it is written: Bono. Both "o"s are pronounced the same. (hope you know what I mean) The problem is English native speakers tend to pronounce the letter o as seen above. :shrug:

I don't correct people, as everyone (so far) said it right and I don't really care about it so much.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
IMO, and I think the band says it this way, it's simply as it is written: Bono. Both "o"s are pronounced the same.

I agree, that's the best way to say it. Originaly in Latin, you say it just the way it's written.

IMO, and I've always heard the band say it this way, it's simply as it is written: Bono. Both "o"s are pronounced the same. (hope you know what I mean) The problem is English native speakers tend to pronounce the letter o as seen above. :shrug:

The band has said it should be pronounced Bow-no? Both long Os? :huh:

MsMofoGone said:
( Truthfully, how would you feel if someone "mis-pronounced" your
own name???? ):mad: :mad:

The problem with my name is more that people don't seem to know how to spell it, but as I said earlier, I can see where it'd bother people if their name was mispronounced.

Some interesting tidbits about the different ways of pronouncing it depending on where you live, though...that's definitely something to consider, too, I agree.

Angela

anitram said:
No.

Emily Post says this type of behaviour is rude. :wink:

I like your comment. Made me laugh.

I figure if he's stuck with Paul there would be no mispronouncing going on. :mad: ;)

Back
Top Bottom