Covers by U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blm

New Yorker
What other artists songs would you love to hear U2 do, and what do you love that they have covered?

I LOVE, LOVE Mystery Girl, the words are so beautiful and even tho Bono's voice is different than Orbison's, he sings it :drool:
I also love when Bono does any Beatles or Dylan.

Sorry if this isn't in the right place, please move it! Thanks

blm said:
I LOVE, LOVE Mystery Girl, the words are so beautiful and even tho Bono's voice is different than Orbison's, he sings it :drool:

Actually, She's A Mystery To Me isn't a cover. U2 wrote the song, and what's more, they recorded a studio version before Orbison ever got his hands on it (1987 in Sun Studios). They just chose not to put it on RAH or anything else, and it didn't turn up live until 30 December 1989, after Orbison released it.

Personally, I think the best studio cover U2 have done is Dancing Barefoot, while live, I would say All Along The Watchtower - not the dreadful version on RAH, but the intense and rocking performances on Lovetown that segued out of Desire.

blm said:

:lol: someone didn't do their research.

Their best studio cover to date is 'Everlasting Love', in my opinion.

night and day OMG YES !!!! and everlasting love..
what about satilite of love?

if they covered afterglow by INXS i would be pretty happy in a :drool: :drool: kind of way

blm said:
What other artists songs would you love to hear U2 do, and what do you love that they have covered?

I also love when Bono does any Beatles or Dylan.

Sorry if this isn't in the right place, please move it! Thanks

But that wouldn't be a cover. Bono wrote it for Orbison so actually Orbison covered it.

Dana

I don't think U2 is a great band to make covers, in fact, they have already made some doubtful-quality covers.

My fav covers? Satellite of love, Unchained melody, Neon lights, Pop Muzik (Popmart mix), just to name few...

Definitely Night and Day. That song has an amazing sound. I also like Satellite of Love and Unchained Melody, and Dancing Barefoot.
And I know there are people who don't agree that it's a good cover but I don't care, I love Bono doing Dreaming with Tears in My Eyes.

Night and Day.

Excellent cover that does what a great cover should do: take it and make it your own. I remember when it first came out I was thinking "wow.......U2 are getting dark and serious". :D Little did I know what was to come.

Bono also produced She's a mystery to Me for Orbison.

There aren't many U2 covers I like (as someone said earlier, covers aren't their strongest point), but I do love their version of Night And Day.

As for covers we'd like to hear the band do, Marquee Moon by Television would be interesting.

Am I in a minority here by stating my dislike for Night and Day? To me, its too dramatic a song and almost operatic, the very reasons why, for the most part, I dont like QUEEN

Can't help falling in love.

both the bside on the wgrywh single and the live/macphisto versions are great.

Agree about All Along the Watchtower. Fantastic. Not the R&H version though.

gman said:
Am I in a minority here by stating my dislike for Night and Day? To me, its too dramatic a song and almost operatic, the very reasons why, for the most part, I dont like QUEEN

A vast number of Queen's songs were neither dramatic nor operatic.

GibsonGirl said:

As for covers we'd like to hear the band do, Marquee Moon by Television would be interesting.

That would be interesting, but I couldn't imagine them pulling it off, who would play the second guitar? Bono...:wink:

Marquee Moon and Adventure are two brilliant albums :drool:

Irishteen said:

That would be interesting, but I couldn't imagine them pulling it off, who would play the second guitar? Bono...:wink:

Marquee Moon and Adventure are two brilliant albums :drool:

Edge could just overdub himself in the studio, as we all know they would never play it live. :wink:

I still haven't heard Adventure ( :reject: ) but I definitely agree regarding Marquee Moon. Phenomenal album.

Back
Top Bottom