Can this album surpass Achtung Baby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitman

Acrobat
In either worldwide, US sales, or public acceptance as a legendary classic??

I say it has a chance in world wide sales, but that may be it since Achtung sold so well in the US and is regarded by most journalists to be among the top 10 or 15 rock albums ever...but I certainly would rank it close, if not close to surpassing Achtung.

The only things Achtung has on it is that is was such a departure, and of course ONE, which I believe is the greatest song ever written or recorded....

------------------
You Just Can't Get Enough Of That Lovey Dovey Stuff...

I don't think there is any possible way for it to surpass Achtung in the U.S. It has been certified 8 million copies! which is probably double what ATYCLB will end up being certified at. Worldwide is a different story. I think it will end up very close but just short of AB. As a classic, AB wins again, but I think that the general public now thinks of this as a solid, if not great album. I wish I could say yes to it all, but I just don't think so

8 million copies in the US for AB. Are you sure of that? I tough the album reached 10 million worldwide. How can the US bouth 8 Millions and the rest of the world only 2-4 Millions

Originally posted by Tony:
8 million copies in the US for AB. Are you sure of that? I tough the album reached 10 million worldwide. How can the US bouth 8 Millions and the rest of the world only 2-4 Millions

According to the RIAA website, www.riaa.com , Achtung Baby was certified as 8X Platinum on October 24, 1997. Worldwide sales of Achtung Baby are listed at around 12 million.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Achtung sold 10 million copies WORLDWIDE in its FIRST year. ATYCLB was at 9,850,000 copies 3 weeks ago, so obviously it is now over 10,000,000 copies! Achtung went on to sell another 4 million copies in the USA after that first year. Outside the USA the only known sales figure I can bring up is another 300,000 copies in the UK. Obviously there were sales elsewhere, but this is unkown. So that puts Achtung Sales to date at a minimum 14,300,000 copies WORLDWIDE and probably greater than that.
What is known is that on a WORLDWIDE basis, ATYCLB has equaled the first year sales of Achtung Baby, so the answer to the question above is that there is a good chance. The next 6 months could determine if it will have a chance of overtaking Achtung Baby.

I feel that if they release 'In A Little While' in the US and across the globe as its next single it will have a good chance to match Achtung Baby.

I don't know if it will, but I feel Achtung Baby is a better album

If they release IALW as a single (god only knows they totally should) then maybe we will get a big sales burst. I sort of doubt it, but the song sure deserves it!

beau2ifulday said:
Wow, this thread is old. I thought we were talking about HTDAAB until I saw In A Little While mentioned...

Holy Crap. I was too. Hahaha!:| Geez. Where do people find these old threads...

Jimbo Flimbo said:
i think it could
i think this is the best album yet

Can you please stop bumping up 4-yr old threads.

It just confuses people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom