Bullet The Blue Sky, Version 27

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa1310

War Child
So there are about 5 different versions of Bullet The Blue Sky. They've seemed to change it significantly during each tour. Which one is your favorite? Mine is Popmart... Just because of how it keeps the hard solo from Zoo TV, and it seems to be jazzed up a bit during the verse... That funky rythmic overdrive. So what is your favorite Bullet era, and why?

The ZooTV Version. Far and away. The only one that comes close is Popmart, but the ZooTV version is tops. Listen to the version on the 'Stay' single(28 August 1993 Dublin) :drool:

Hmm probably either Zootv or Popmart version. I do like how he totally funks it up in Popmart! It's always interesting to hear how they keep reinventing old songs as the tours keep coming.

I think the Elevation one was the greatest one guitarwise. Sometimes the distortion is a little harsh on the others, I know it's lame but I like the cleaner solo. As a whole though, my favorite is probably the ZooTV version. I don't like JT/Lovetown at all to be honest. Bono sounds so angry it's almost self-righteous and there's no hint of irony at all. ZooTV had the distorted Bono vocals and it was very sarcastic and ironic, which I think actually added to the meaning of the song.

namkcuR said:
The ZooTV Version. Far and away. The only one that comes close is Popmart, but the ZooTV version is tops. Listen to the version on the 'Stay' single(28 August 1993 Dublin) :drool:

I actually think the 1993-08-28 Bullet is one of the worst ZooTV Bullets. The solo feels slow compared to, say, ZooTV Sydney.

In any case, I absolutely worship the ZooTV Bullet - possibly the best part of the show in my opinion. I also love Elevation and JT/Lovetown, and I think Vertigo's only a dash below them - though Bullet from Toronto II was exceptional for this tour and I'd rate it higher than JT/Lovetown. It took me a while to warm up to Popmart Bullet though, mainly just the end. I know Vertigo Bullet's ending is slower too, but I find it haunting, whereas I sometimes find Popmart Buller's ending to just be a plain wimper.

I'm a big fan of the Mark Chapman version from the Elevation tour....but the EU one was crap. ZooTV wins for consistency, I spose, but on the right night Elevation Bullet was unstopable.

By the way, what exactly did Bono say in the rap post 9-11?

I like what they've done with Vertigo's bullet... They've slowed it down, and throughtout the hole song, it seems to have a grab on you. When they quiet down with the solo, you feel the solo. When they quiet down even more to the bare essentials after the solo, it pulls you with it... It has this grab. I like it :drool: . As for this Lovetown bootleg I have... It is my least favorite of all the Bullets (Rotterdam) :reject: . It just seems so... dead and forced to me (Which is weird, considering it was "just" written). Although the 11 O' Clock Tick Tock snippet is AWESOME.

Last edited:
The Bullet from Toronto II is my favourite...it seems to blend the ZooTV one with Lovetown?JT one for me...very atmospheric and haunting plus the solo in it kicks arse...

Milan IIs Bullet is also great because it just seems to be a load of very haunting sound...it islike being in a haunted forest or the like.

Toronto II was amazing. I'd wait for Toronto I to come out though - now that was a fucking solo. I think it was slightly different than Toronto II. The latter half of that concert was such an ecstatic blur, however, so I might be wrong!

As for my favourite version, nothing tops Zoo TV for me. The bluesier Vertigo version is good too. At first I wasn't too fond of it as it lacked the rawness of the Zoo TV version, but I'm actually starting to love the cleaner sound. The stuff he plays during Johnny Comes Marching Home is brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom