BTBS (from Boston DVD)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bathiu

Refugee
Hi.

I don't have the Boston DVD right now, so I can't check...
...what are the exact words of Heston in the "intro" to Bullet The Blue Sky??...

Thank you for help...

Last edited:
"Well, here is my credo. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns.
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a terrible thing. A gun in the hands of a good man is no threat to anyone. Except bad people"

I'll double check

Last edited:
lol...damn stars, you memorized that? Just kidding, I did too. I think its perfect. The best Bono rant ever on BTBS.

Last edited:
i LOVE BTBS from the Boston DVD, one of the best versions out there, second to maybe the zoo tv Sydney version. But yeah, the Charleton Heston intro is fucking brilliant, it even prompted me to write two short stories about him for school that year. They were quite funny too, long gone though, couldn't find them if i wanted to.

The first one was called "Charlton Heston and the Laws of Physics"

i dont remember what it's sequel was called but i do remmeebr that it involved keith richards and mick jagger trying to cause massive earthquakes all over the world from space...or something like that, LOL

woah, sorry, got off topic there, but umm...yeah, bye.

I just watched that the other day.. that was awesome. As much as it's tempting to say they shoulda kept doing that after 9/11, it's probably really for the best that they didn't.

ElectricalVoice said:
Yes, starsgoblue ... except that "terrible" should be "bad". People like him doesn't know more than one word, that could mean the same thing.

:|

Are you saying Charlton Heston is dumb? I don't think anyone on here should judge him from the 10 second snippet that U2 used during BTBS. That amounted to nothing other than propaganda, and I was very disappointed that U2 would do that. In reality Heston is a brilliant speaker, whether you care for his politics or not. I don't even agree with all of his politics, but I do respect him because he has always been passionate and consistent(like marching for civil rights in the 60's before it became popular to do so).

That being said, I think the intro on the Slane DVD was much more fitting for the song...the haunting intro and the message just seemed like it fit better with the song.

I have a few bootleg dvd's of the Elevation tour and I think the best "bono rants" I've seen are from the European leg...one where bono ends it with something like "EU! EU! Europa! Europa! Zooropa! Zooropa! Zoooooropa!" Anybody else know what I'm talking about?

Then there's the EU EU FU United Kingdom Fuck you! Germany. Fuck you, France! etc. those were cool.

I don't see how the btbs on elevation is propaganda per se.. but then propaganda is in the eye of the beholder. Heston said something that was pretty stupid, and U2 called him on it. Pretty simple really.

One of the most intense version of Bullet ever. Bono's Mark Chapman impersonation is one of his creepiest and most passionate performances I have ever seen or heard. And there are too many people clapping to that horrendous Heston speech. How many of you have watched "Bowling For Columbine". That proves what kind of a man our Ben Hur or Moses truly is.

djerdap said:
One of the most intense version of Bullet ever. Bono's Mark Chapman impersonation is one of his creepiest and most passionate performances I have ever seen or heard. And there are too many people clapping to that horrendous Heston speech. How many of you have watched "Bowling For Columbine". That proves what kind of a man our Ben Hur or Moses truly is.

LMAO, that's hilarious dude, really it is. Bowling for Columbine? Are you serious? Dif you actually take that movie seriously? It's not a documentary, it's a movie. It's pure propaganda. It's hilarious that you'd judge ANYONE based off of a Michael Moore film considering he's such a master of propaganda and deception. Wait did I say a master of deception? I'm sorry, a master of deception can actually present a somewhat realistic lie and twist it into something convincing. Two things Moore has yet to do. Good one.

By the way, I think Heston's quote was awesome. He's also a more charismatic man than Bono will ever be. He is an actor...

Oh I thought that version pf Bullet the Blue Sky was pretty cool though, even thoiugh I disagree with the message.

Last edited:
umm...is it just me, or isn't it common snese that a rock star, who performs every night infront of a huge live audience, and has to keep them entertained for 2 stragiht hours, would need more charisma than a dried up old actor whose only cause is the NRA? hmmm...maybe i'm wrong?

no, wait, i'm not.

guns are one of those strange paradoxes that we live in. They are the antithesis of love and peace, but yet without our right to bear them our Republic would sure fall.

It is one issue where I will agree with Bono/U2 in spirit, but not in politics.

Lancemc said:
umm...is it just me, or isn't it common snese that a rock star, who performs every night infront of a huge live audience, and has to keep them entertained for 2 stragiht hours, would need more charisma than a dried up old actor whose only cause is the NRA? hmmm...maybe i'm wrong?

no, wait, i'm not.

Dried up old actor? He's darn old. Isn't he in his 70's or 80's? How much acting do you expect him to do? He may have passed his prime, but he's definitely considered a great actor. He played in what is considered to be one of the best movies ever. Washed up? I don't think so? He has alot of success behind him. Bono will be no more productive when he's the same age. And I can guarentee you Bono won't be the leader of an organization the size of the NRA, which is huge by the way.

bullet = my favourite u2 song

i went to shows on both the 1st and 2nd us leg of the tour, so i heard both the chuck heston intro and the "chanty" intro. both were awesome, though the chanty one was more appropriate post-9/11.

the performances of bullet for the elevation tour were the most intense i've heard! bono's mark chapman rant w/the spotlight "war is over, we don't need your help, america is making war with itself!" simply stunning.

elfyx said:
but yet without our right to bear them our Republic would sure fall.

This argument always confuses the shit out of me. There's tons of other countries across the world with much stricter gun laws, and most of those republics surely haven't fallen.

i guess the us is different in that everyone likes to shoot each other. ah well.. i guess it's just one of those things that's ingrained in the ideology and won't ever go away, especially because so many people seem to want it to be true.

Chuck Heston isn't being productive if he's spewing out tired old cliches about 'good' and 'evil'. But then I maybe shouldn't judge him simply from all the dumb things I've heard coming out of his mouth, he has his reasons for believing them.

shart1780 said:

Dried up old actor? He's darn old. Isn't he in his 70's or 80's? How much acting do you expect him to do? He may have passed his prime, but he's definitely considered a great actor. He played in what is considered to be one of the best movies ever. Washed up? I don't think so? He has alot of success behind him. Bono will be no more productive when he's the same age. And I can guarentee you Bono won't be the leader of an organization the size of the NRA, which is huge by the way.

i'm not denying he wasn't a good actor in his prime, but talking about charisma, you, or whoever it was that sid that, was just totally wrong. And also, who are you to say what Bono will be doing in 30 years? who are you to say you can guarentee he wont be the leader or an organization the size of the NRA, nobody can see that far into the future. And I'm sure bono is just as wellknown worldwide, if not more than heston was in his prime.

Now, leave me in peace so i can get back to cleaning my automatic rifle I use all the time for personal protection.

Lancemc said:

i'm not denying he wasn't a good actor in his prime, but talking about charisma, you, or whoever it was that sid that, was just totally wrong. And also, who are you to say what Bono will be doing in 30 years? who are you to say you can guarentee he wont be the leader or an organization the size of the NRA, nobody can see that far into the future. And I'm sure bono is just as wellknown worldwide, if not more than heston was in his prime.

Now, leave me in peace so i can get back to cleaning my automatic rifle I use all the time for personal protection.

I don't think Bono will be because a very very small number of people are at that age.

elfyx said:
guns are one of those strange paradoxes that we live in. They are the antithesis of love and peace, but yet without our right to bear them our Republic would sure fall.

It is one issue where I will agree with Bono/U2 in spirit, but not in politics.

If people made efforts to fix society's wrongs and strive towards a world free of violence guns would be unessacary. Too many are killed by guns in violent acts or misuse. Guns, as a "right", is a contradiction in terms.

SkeeK said:

This argument always confuses the shit out of me. There's tons of other countries across the world with much stricter gun laws, and most of those republics surely haven't fallen.

I agree. Our republic would fall? What century is this? Charlton Heston is the face of the NRA, hes not the leader. He holds that position because hes a celebrity face who believes in the right to bear arms, hes no different than Dianne Warrick being the spokesman for the Psychic network. Our government should look toward whats going on here instead of invading a country for no reason (I'm bi-partisan and agitated after seeing the CIA again confirmed there were no WMDS, I dont feel like starting a political debate, sorry...)

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:

If people made efforts to fix society's wrongs and strive towards a world free of violence guns would be unessacary.

When do you think that will happen? It's a pretty nice thought but it's going to be a looooong time.

Last edited:
I'm against any use of weapons or weaponry. A man like Charlton Heston, who waves with his rifle("From my cold dead hands"), just a couple of days after a big tragedy dealing with that problem has occured, is not the kind of guy I want to see my idol or a big charismatic actor.

Back
Top Bottom