"Boy" Fucking Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GibsonGirl said:

Early U2 was a lot less original than people would like to believe. Musically (and yes, even vocally) I think they were nothing more than an amalgamation of Television and Echo & The Bunnymen. The only difference between the bands in the period of 1980-1983 was in the passion of the lead singer. Bono's singing was a lot more passionate than Verlaine's or McCulloch's. Other than that...it's hard for me to hear the difference.

You're half correct.

I agree that Edge's guitar sound wasn't as original as many would like to think, but what he got out of that sound is far superior to what the others' you mention got out of it.

You credit Bono for bringing more passion to the music through his vocals, but what about Edge? The passion he brings to the music with his guitar playing blows the other guys you mention out of the water.

You're not giving Edge's vision and spiritual contribution enough credit. The rage, open-heartedness and vision that guided Edge's 'unoriginal' style gave those first 3 albums a dose of uniqueness that Television and Echo never got close to and that's not really a slap at those two bands because U2's uniqueness is why we're all still here 26 yrs. later arguing about this kind of stuff.

Boy has been my favorite album since I first started getting into U2, as long as I don't let my mind wander, otherwise I start thinking about other great U2 albums and i start going hmmmmm.... but this or that one is really good too..... so i have to not think on it too long, and then it's right there in the #1 spot every time. :D

I remember talking to my RE teacher last summer about U2 after I remarked he looks quite a bit like Adam Clayton and he was telling me of this time in 1980 he was sitting with his mate who put on 'Boy' and said 'This is a band called U2, you'll love them! Great stuff! They're gonna be big!'

I bloody wish I was around to hear the record first-hand back then!

I loved the first time I heard it though, really fit what was going on around me! I was up north in Stockport one autumn, it was constantly pissing it down, it was always dark and cold whenever I was out and this album, while having a really dark sound when it wanted to [An Cat Dubh and so on] I thought was absolutely incredible. Unlike anything I'd ever heard and somehow made me grin like a fool for a week!

Last edited:
I was around for it's release. Even bought it the week it came out... but never got to hear it. :banghead:

However thats a sad old story I've told around here many a time.... lets just say I love the album NOW!

Electric Co! Edge is on fire!!!! :combust:

The early stories about U2 always talk about how they didn't really know how to play their instruments. I never really understood that because they seemed to figure things out pretty quickly on BOY.

Shadows and Tall Trees is awesome.

ponee said:
The early stories about U2 always talk about how they didn't really know how to play their instruments. I never really understood that because they seemed to figure things out pretty quickly on BOY.

Well, seeing as they formed in 1976, they had four years together before the release of Boy. You can learn a hell of a lot with an instrument in four years.

GibsonGirl said:

Well, seeing as they formed in 1976, they had four years together before the release of Boy. You can learn a hell of a lot with an instrument in four years.

I've learned nothing in 12 years. :drool:

The album has got so many decent tracks on it, the album IS so underated. Out of control, a day without me, i will follow, electric co... I could go on. Amazing stuff. Is it me or should a day without me be more popular than it is. I think its one of U2s best songs of their early part of their career and should have been put on the 80s best of

This album is definitely in their Top 5, and despite the fact that they're slighted songs on this forum, "Another Time, Another Place" and "Twilight" are 2 of my faves, and I wish they would have played them on this tour, some nights in place of An Cat Dubh and Into The Heart.... :(

Back
Top Bottom