Bootleg Versions of Bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
As a massive fan of this song and always searching for great versions, I'm interested in knowing which particular renditions really blow you away. What is it you like so much about them? I find alot of the Lovetown performances to be up with the very best of them, but what do the rest of you think?

East Rutherford 1985-04-15 version is amazing. It lasts for 16 minutes.
Rotterdam 1992-06-15 is another noteworthy version because it features a great simple Edge solo.
Chicago 2005-05-12 is another gem.

June 6, 2001 in Boston (from the DVD)- absolutely amazing. He struggles to hit the "wide awake!" at the end, but its so emotional. I would have killed to see that.

Bad is one of my Top 3, but there are so many vocally excellent versions around. For this reason, my favourite performance is from 21 September 2005 in Chicago; this performance has almost the whole of "The First Time" contained within.

http://www.save file.com/files/317571
[remove space]

thelaj said:
Bad is one of my Top 3, but there are so many vocally excellent versions around. For this reason, my favourite performance is from 21 September 2005 in Chicago; this performance has almost the whole of "The First Time" contained within.

[remove space]

i would agree. i also think that i would have agreed even if i hadn't seen this version in person. that's how good it is!

Well my vote goes to 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford, his voice has never been so strong that it is on the show, I think this show is his peak in his voice era. In my opinion this show got the best SBS, Pride and Bad.

Turn up the speakers loud on this one:

www.send space.com/file/nt10vb

Another great one is 1993-08-28 - Dublin and also 2005-12-04 - Boston

thelaj said:

[remove space]

Wow! This is the first time I heard this version. I just pooped myself. In a good way. :wink:

Thanks a mill for having this up.

WAIA version...:drool:

I know it's not exactly a bootleg, but it's impossible not to love it. Just listen to that bass! :love:

Peterrrrr said:
Well my vote goes to 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford

That is a great performance, and always good to see the extended guitar part. His voice is very good, but I just don't enjoy the tone as much as ZOO TV or Vertigo versions.

I agree with the Dublin '93 performance too!

Could anyone please send me a copy of the 16 minute East Rutherford version of "Bad"????
email... harry_vest@yahoo.com
I'd really appreciate it - first saw U2 in March 1985 in Toronto and have been a fan (and a fanatic of "Bad") ever since!!!

Peterrrrr said:
Well my vote goes to 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford, his voice has never been so strong that it is on the show, I think this show is his peak in his voice era. In my opinion this show got the best SBS, Pride and Bad.

Yeah his voice was great during 1986

One of my favourite versions is the Self-aid version from the same year. Here's a not quite whole version

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-eNee-1LkXo

I remember reading in the Eamon Dunphy book, the one commissioned by U2, about this performance. There's a little dig at a local magazine who criticized U2s involvment in this benefit during the candle in the wind snippet.

^That one's excellent, and I have to add that he looks pretty smokin' too. :reject:

Anybody have just the audio on it? I LOVE Candle in the Wind, and angry Bono is great on it.

Washington DC, 20 Oct. 2005. This is my favorite Vertigo Tour Bad. Some people may not like it as much because Bono gives a speech in the middle, but I think it sounds fresher than many of the other versions; it reminds me a bit of Lovetown, with Bono finding new melodies in the song. And the ending, building to a climax as Bono sings People Have the Power (people have the power... to dream, to rule, to wrestle the world from fools...) is just plain classic.
I just spent 30 mins trying to upload it - and Dublin 28/8/93 - but my internet is acting up. Watch this space.

Washington DC, 20 Oct. 2005. This is my favorite Vertigo Tour Bad. Some people may not like it as much because Bono gives a speech in the middle, but I think it sounds fresher than many of the other versions; it reminds me a bit of Lovetown, with Bono finding new melodies in the song. And the ending, building to a climax as Bono sings People Have the Power (people have the power... to dream, to rule, to wrestle the world from fools...) is just classic.
I just spent 30 mins trying to upload it - and Dublin 28/8/93 - but my internet is acting up. Watch this space.

LemonMelon said:
WAIA version...:drool:

I know it's not exactly a bootleg, but it's impossible not to love it. Just listen to that bass! :love:

aBSOLUTELY!!
THIS IS MY FAVOURITE U2 SONG AND THE REASON WHY I FELL SO DEEPLY IN LOVE WITH THEM.
EDGE IS INCREDIBLE, AND HE DOESN'T HAVE BONO WAILING "WIDE AWAKE" OVER HIM TOO MUCH.

I have to promote my favourite version here: Lovetown, 1990-01-10, Rotterdam:

http://download.you .com/D078A12631094305

Amazing 'All I Want Is You' and 'Norwegian Wood' snippets, Bono's vocals have never been better and how Edge finishes the song... :drool:

Thanks for the Washington 2005 one, I didn't know that one. The 'People Have The Power' snippet rocks indeed!

OneDayFly said:
I have to promote my favourite version here: Lovetown, 1990-01-10, Rotterdam:

http://download.you .com/D078A12631094305

Amazing 'All I Want Is You' and 'Norwegian Wood' snippets, Bono's vocals have never been better and how Edge finishes the song... :drool:

Sorry I have to disagree with you about the Lovetown one :( But his Lovetown voice wasnt that strong, he screamed out notes on that tour, notes he easily hit on JT tour without screaming, also on lovetown he couldnt hold the notes so long like he did on JT, when he tried he went unstable or shaky. He hadnt the full and wide voice that he had on JT tour, also he was hoarse on LT and used to much of the kermit falsetto. On the Bad you posted he has problem to hold "Wide Awakes" and also there are some Kermit falsettos. Don't mean to be rude :(

I think Bono's lovetown voice was a career peak myself and have to agree with OneDayFly about 10th January 1990 Rotterdam, incredible performance. I've been looking for October 8th 1989 Melbourne from the same tour as thats supposed to be one of the greatest versions ever, but all my attempts at trading have led to nothing :( Does anyone know how I can get this rendition?

Peterrrrr, you're full of shitttttttt.

Seriously, go listen to the bootleg "Bad At Its Best" and get a clue. I'm sick of your nonsense posts. I think most of us are. You harp on and on about singing even though many of your posts demonstrate that you know even less about it than I do.

I must agree about the lovetown shows. IMO Bono's voice was at its best during this tour (except some of the shows in australia when he was sick). Definitely better than on JT. He was discovering some new ways of singing such as falsetto and stuff...
so for me best versions of bad - lovetown tour :drool:

Back
Top Bottom