Bonos voice change story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got Philk? said:
Listen to Hawkmoon 269. Then try to sing it like he did. Your voice will hurt too. :)
:up: :up: :up:

Most people would give themselves an anuerysm trying to sing like that... :ohmy: :faint:

Hey peterrr thanks for posting a link to Toronto Bad that's a good version. Sounds to me like most of the time he's hitting B's but I think he reaches the C on the first wide awake of the second set.

I also want to point out that while in general I like the live performances of JT and Achtung more during that time period, there are some notable exceptions imo. For example One from slane castle and from the special olympics are awesome, and Streets from elevation boston, especially the ending lines "It's all I can do, It's all we can do" somehow just came out perfect.

U2DMfan said:

I believe they are playing it in the original key, totally from memory, I'll listen to it later on and check, if we are wrong I'll make note.

Bad=That's a tough note to hit for him, especially if he's giving the whole song a real good take. All those high choruses (Let it Go!!! and Fade Away!!!...strenuous), that's why the version on Wide Awake in America is so bloody awesome, his vocal take is just tremendous.

What about Bad from 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford, thats a amzing one to.

But my favorite Bad of all is the 1993-08-28 - Dublin. Just listen to this line(but you have to turn up the speakers loud, it get more amazing ju higher ju hear it :) :

"This desperation, dislocation
Separation, condemnation
Revelation, in temptation
Isolation, desolation
Let it go and so to find a way
Let it go aha so to faaaaaade faaaaaaaaade"

That "faaaaaaade" part in 1993-08-28 - Dublin is amazing he, he got this amazing sound in his voice.´

And also all those high notes in Mercy, I think is one of the best songs if you see in overall perfmormence in a song. He low voice is so good, the middle voice and the high. That song is like he know that he got a new stronger voice and just playing with the high notes and just testing and testing.

Last edited:
I agree with the one who said the Amnesty show in June 1986 (New Jersey) was a vocal highlight. But in general, I think something cracked into shape with his voice on the War tour and his voice stayed in peak condition through the end of the 80s. I personally didn't like his singing quite as much in the ZooTV period, but I'm not sure if it's the quality of his voice or the change in style that went along with the change in songs.

Also, what's with the earlier one arguing that his vocal technique wasn't technically correct in the mid-80s, and therefore his singing wasn't as good? What the hell? It's like arguing that Picasso's brush stroke wasn't technically correct so we shouldn't enjoy Guernica. Rock singing is not about technical skill. The result is all that matters.

If I had to pick one tour where his voice was best, it's either UF of JT. But I really think he's done a great job to maintain his voice. He's certainly singing much better now than should be expected of a smoker who's 46. In rock terms, Bono is WAY better than the average pro singer, so there's really nothing to complain about. Try to imagine Mick Jagger at age 46 (in 1990) singing Where the Streets Have No Name. After you recover from the shock of that mental conception, return to U2's music with renewed faith in Bono's voice...

65980 said:

Also, what's with the earlier one arguing that his vocal technique wasn't technically correct in the mid-80s, and therefore his singing wasn't as good? What the hell? It's like arguing that Picasso's brush stroke wasn't technically correct so we shouldn't enjoy Guernica. Rock singing is not about technical skill. The result is all that matters.

I understand what you're saying, it's rock and roll, who cares about technical proficiency, but I think the point being made by those who bring it up is that it hurt his voice pretty badly.

Meaning he put so much strain on his vocal chords night after night for nearly a decade (from singing that way), it almost had to have a negative effect. Of course we know his voice has diminished a bit, but if that's because of singing improperly, smoking or just the aging process, it's all part of the reasons. I think that's all people are saying.

Listen to this version of NYD, its from Popmart Mexico, but this is not the soundboard version from the official video, this is a other soundboard version where you can hear Bonos voice much better. Listen when he sings:

Say it's true, it's true...
And we can break through
Though torn in two
We can be one

very strong, and this is also from Popmart, where Bono had a lot of problems with his voice. How high does he hit the notes in this one?

Did Bono continue his exercise regiment he started during the 2001 tour? I thought this was a big help in helping his voice post-POP.

He also may have changed his eating/drinking/smoking habits that could lead to a healthier voice.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
Did Bono continue his exercise regiment he started during the 2001 tour? I thought this was a big help in helping his voice post-POP.

He also may have changed his eating/drinking/smoking habits that could lead to a healthier voice.

u2fp

He must have done something, you can exercise your voice to be better, but Bonos voice went much more cleaner and less hoarse after Elevation tour wich I don't think you can exercise away. So it must be something with food or smoking that made his voice cleaner and less hoarse.

I just listen to the 1984-11-21 - Dortmund(the sb audio not the video, the audio version has much better sound quality) listen when he sings the line "that saved a wretch like meeeeeeeeeee"

How high is that note?

Bono seems to have learned how to use his head voice more as his voice ages...which is a good tip for anyone!

my instructor and I discuss Bono's vocals a lot during my lessons
(we're both fans) and that's her educated assessment.//

In case I forgot to comment on this thread's title earlier on, it sounds like some sex-ed video they showed us in 4th grade.

Peterrrrr said:
I just listen to the 1984-11-21 - Dortmund(the sb audio not the video, the audio version has much better sound quality) listen when he sings the line "that saved a wretch like meeeeeeeeeee"

How high is that note?

What song does he sing this? I am downloading it now and heard "Bad" and it's not there. But based on "Bad" alone, he does sound in good vocal form. The thing is, Bono's sounded almost as good on the Vertigo tour! Sure, not quite as solid, but it's been 20+ years. Not bad!

doctorwho said:

What song does he sing this? I am downloading it now and heard "Bad" and it's not there. But based on "Bad" alone, he does sound in good vocal form. The thing is, Bono's sounded almost as good on the Vertigo tour! Sure, not quite as solid, but it's been 20+ years. Not bad!

That line is from Electric Co from that show :)

Back
Top Bottom