Bono's biggest talk on Africa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh I saw that before... can't remember when though.

I made this when I saw it.

hee1.jpg

Thanks for posting, I wouldn't mind watching it again.

This is an interesting post, as I have been wondering for quite a while now what became of Bono's three wishes. Does anyone have an update on any of them?

Thank you for the link, watched it, it's wonderful, Bono is such an amazing speaker, but it's loooong.
Does anyone know when exactly that was?

From the TED blog: "Rock star and activist Bono accepts the 2005 TEDPrize with a riveting talk about our moral obligation (and economic incentive) to help lift Africa out of poverty. He unveils his TEDPrize wishes by challenging the TED community to help build a social movement of more than one million American activists for Africa; to tell people one billion times about the ONE campaign; and to connect every hospital, health clinic, and school in one African country, Ethiopia, to the Internet. (Recorded February 2005 in Monterey, CA. Duration: 28:37)"
"The TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) conference is an annual event where leading thinkers and doers gather for inspiration."

FYI, Edward Burtynsky, the photographer whose work was the focus of the recent documentary "Manuafactured Landscapes", received a TED award the same year, 2005.

Each recipient gets to make three wishes which the TED community will attempt to grant.

I think Bono's first two wishes have been accomplished, but clearly not the third one (yet).

OK, so I found the answer to my own question. The TED group has reported back to Bono on their progress in delivering on his three wishes. Here's their report:

"TEDPrizeWishes

BonoWISH ONE: I wish for you to help build a social movement of more than ONE MILLION American activists for Africa.
Goal:

Empower Americans to fight stupid, crushing poverty in Africa and AIDS by making a big noise.

Actions Taken:

Rights to the URL www.ONE.org secured and delivered by the Jane Addams Hull House
Sun builds cool SMS technology that allows instant sign-ups at U2 concerts; a team from Sun travels with the U2 tour to run it
Multi-company team of Sun, Macromedia, Microsoft and Tribe, redesigns the www.ONE.org website
Anonymous TEDster commits $10M over five years to Bono's team

Result:
1.4M signups ahead of G8 summit where major debt cancellation/AID package agreed. One.org signups subsequently exceed 2M.

WISH TWO: I wish to tell people ONE BILLION times about ONE, with as much of this as possible before the G8 Africa Summit in July 2005.

Goal:

ONE billion media impressions for the mass-market campaign to tell everyone in the U.S. about ONE and the global fight against poverty.

Actions Taken:

John Kamen, of Radical Media, creates ONE film which plays all over TV Networks and the Internet
Google contribute adwords
Jay Amato and Viewpoint negotiate 1.5 BILLION online ads with help from 24/7 Real Media, About.com, Accuweather, ad pepper, AOL, Boston.com, Burst Media, CBS, UPN and CBSNews, Ebay, Gamespot, iVillage, MaxOnline, Monster.com, MSN, MSNBC, NowPublic, Right Media, UGO, ValueClick, VIEWPOINT Search, Whitepages.com

Results:
Exceeded ONE BILLION impressions target before the G8 summit. Total impressions granted eventually exceeded TWO billion.

WISH THREE: I wish for you to show the power of information - its power to rewrite the rules and to transform lives - by connecting every hospital, health clinic, and school in one African country, Ethiopia, to the Internet.
Goal:

Track and improve public health with information technology; expand the resources available to local schools.

Actions Taken:

Sun, AMD, HP, Cisco, and TEDsters Taylor Milsal and Joseph Mouzon meet with DATA for a half day brainstorm
NYC meeting with Jeffrey Sachs' Earth Institute team from Columbia
TED delegation are hosted in Addis Ababa by Tom Darden's Cherokee House
TED delegation visits schools, clinics, and meets with government: Ministry of Health, Ministry of Information, Ministry of Building Capacity, The World Bank, State Department, Ethiopian Telecommunications, local NGOs.
Big problems are encountered: Pushback from teachers and doctors, government telecoms monopoly and erupting political violence.

Results:
After in-depth research, TED reports back to Bono... this is NOT the best way for TED to help in Africa. Instead, TED decides to connect the community to remarkable people, projects, businesses in Africa and announces TED Global in Tanzania, June of 2007.

Here's the link to the result of the third wish:
http://www.ted.com/tedglobal2007/index.cfm

It's remarkable the amount of work and genuine results that those three wishes achieved.

By the way, this year's TED winners were recently announced, and one of them is Bill Clinton. I'm curious to see what he will wish for and what the TED team will do with them.

The whole TED three wishes prize is cool. Thanks, Bif for the update.

Back
Top Bottom