Bono on O'Reilly Factor? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2004, 10:41 PM   #76
She's the One

Local Time: 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2grace
Compared to what he usually does, he went out of his way to let Bono speak.

Old 09-01-2004, 11:24 PM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:47 AM
damn, I had to work and missed it.

anyone have a link?

Old 09-01-2004, 11:27 PM   #78
She's the One

Local Time: 02:47 AM
It's supposed to be on again at 1 AM your time.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:11 AM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:47 AM
yup its coming on at 1 am ET, cant wait to see it. Sounds really interesting, but that is what I was expecting considering its BO and Bono going head to head.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:21 AM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:47 AM
I thought it showed both men in a pretty good light. I watch O'Reilly often and didn't find him to be treating Bono any differently than any other guess, until the end. When he actually let Bono speak, which is something he doesn't do often even when he agrees with people, he IS an ego-maniac. But he was fair and asked the good questions, Bono was fair and answered the questions directly and competently, as always.

O'Reilly is obviously moved by Bono's consistency and faith. He's an Irish-Catholic too. And it doesn't hurt Bono's case that he knows what the hell he is talking about.

This never was about O'Reilly "going after' Bono. It was always about O'Reilly getting a guest to boost his ratings, he would have looked silly to attack Bono. On what, for goodness sakes? The man isn't perfect but his heart is most defintely in the right place.

I thought O'Reilly asked good questions such as "Americans have enough going on at home, why should they spend tax dollars on this issue"? It was answered well by Bono, but that is the type of thing he didn't get asked on Oprah or Larry King etc.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:35 AM   #81
War Child

Anyone who thinks O'Reilly treated Bono "differently" or in a way that was not "like typical O'Reilly" obviously never watches O'Reilly. Your ignorance to his show and his style is crystal clear.

I said it two days ago - O'Reilly and Bono would have a good honest, discussion of the issues. O'Reilly and Bono wouldn't even get into an arguement. That's what we saw tonight.

Someone said it best when the interview was first announced...O'Reilly is only harsh toward people who make themselves look like idiots all by themselves. To think otherwise just proves you don't know (or watch) O'Reilly...you've just bought into a bunch of left-wing hype.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:44 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoocoustic
Anyone who thinks O'Reilly treated Bono "differently" or in a way that was not "like typical O'Reilly" obviously never watches O'Reilly. Your ignorance to his show and his style is crystal clear.

I said it two days ago - O'Reilly and Bono would have a good honest, discussion of the issues. O'Reilly and Bono wouldn't even get into an arguement. That's what we saw tonight.

Someone said it best when the interview was first announced...O'Reilly is only harsh toward people who make themselves look like idiots all by themselves. To think otherwise just proves you don't know (or watch) O'Reilly...you've just bought into a bunch of left-wing hype.
Good post. It's true. Bill O'Relly only really gets mad at people who dodge simple questions or lie. Bono was VERY good in this interview because he answered everything very directly. You can see that O'Relly respects that in this interview.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:38 AM   #83
Blue Crack Distributor

anyone who believed that bill o'reilly was satan and watched this interview with an open mind and still feels the same way about o'reilly... i feel sorry for you, 'cause your mind is so set on your ideological beliefs that nothing can change your mind. i thought this conversation was wonderful... it was back and forth, agreement, disagreement, nothing un-civil about it... and guess what people... this is how the majority of o'reilly's interviews go. even though i missed half an hour of my wing night beer special at shanahan's irish pub, it was well worth it... great segment

Old 09-02-2004, 01:39 AM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

Good post. It's true. Bill O'Relly only really gets mad at people who dodge simple questions or lie. Bono was VERY good in this interview because he answered everything very directly. You can see that O'Relly respects that in this interview.
I agree but a the same time I did read something that O'Reily had written in the past that seemed to belittle what Bono has been trying to do with the crisis in Africa. (Maybe he's changed his mind...he seemed willing to change his mind in the interview from what I saw) In any case, it was a wonderful conversation....I do feel that Bono should have had more of a chance to speak thought rather than being cut off in mid-sentence, when people do that to me I get more than a little miffed. Bono was strong and to the point and not willing to take anything other than 100% from the oppurtunity he had. I do hope someone can put a link for our friends on here that didn't have access to the show....I'd like to see it again myself!
Old 09-02-2004, 01:40 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Just watched the replay. I only wish that Bono would get on MSNBC's convention coverage. Seems more "free-wheeling" I bet we could get some good candid Bono on that show.

And I was watching the MSNBC coverage for the Dems and Joe Scarborough (MSNBC's O'Reilly, basically) had nothing but praise for Bono when his name came up when talking about the celebs who were in Boston at that time.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:49 AM   #86
New Yorker

Its all schtick... O'Reily that is.... Same with Chris Matthews and Joe Scarbrough. People on boths sides take things too seriously, and IMO, O'Reily's style made for an interesting debate/ conversation. Softball questions and kissing ass commentary isn't what I'd like to see in every interview.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:53 AM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Great interview, I thought. Bono seemed a little weary at first during the show (appeared that way to me, anways), but gradually warmed up. I was impressed; he really knows his stuff

O'Reilly didn't kiss any ass and Bono held his own. Thumbs up from me
Old 09-02-2004, 01:53 AM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

This is probably one of the best things I've seen of Bono dealing with his Africa works. I was really impressed by the way Bono handled himself, he did a really good job. This should prove to his critics out there that he actually does know what hes talking about, because of you dont the last place you want to be is on the O'Reilly Factor.

I thought BO did a good job interviewing him, and I respected the comments he gave to Bono toward the end, especially the part about "doing God's work." I also like the response Bono gave to that, something like "God must have a good sense of humor if he sent me." Im glad I taped it, and ya, the stare that Bono gives a few times in the interview is intense
Old 09-02-2004, 01:58 AM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

by the way, those of you who missed it or dont get fox news, here is the link to the dialogue:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,131198,00.html
Old 09-02-2004, 02:18 AM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I LOVED this interview - it was more than I ever thought possible!

I KNEW that Bono would hold his own "against" O'Reilly - he has YEARS of experience dealing with very conservative people in his advocacy for Africa. Bono knew perfectly well what sort of interference he could come up against in this interview - and he was ready for O'Reilly!

But what most struck me was what seemed to be O'Reilly's softening attitude about Bono's message about the AIDS pandemic.

Several times he said he admired Bono's advocacy and wished him well - that's BIG STUFF coming from Bill O'Reilly!

The IMPORTANCE OF THIS INTERVIEW CAN'T BE UNDERSTATED. To continue to be effective in getting Congress to fully fund the Global AIDS and anti-poverty measures SO ESSENTIAL TO AFRICA'S FUTURE, Bono (and DATA) must continue to build a nonpartisan coalition in Congress and gather new supporters from the ranks of people such as those who watch Bill O'Reilly.

Bono made a TREMENDOUS LEAP FORWARD TONIGHT in promoting Global AIDS and anti-poverty programs for Africa and for that, BONO SHOULD BE PROUD OF HIMSELF!

I have more Respect for the man right now than I ever thought possible...