Bono mentioned on 'Felicity' last night... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-18-2002, 02:43 PM   #1
War Child
 
kariatari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Iowa
Posts: 935
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Bono mentioned on 'Felicity' last night...

Ordinarilly, I probably wouldn't mention it, but since things have been kinda slow lately, I thought, "What the hell!"

Anyway, I was watchin' 'Felicity' last night (the WB show w/ Kerri Russell...)and one of the characters asked his friend Elena to a Save the World convention thingy. Evidently, there was a girl that he wanted to impress, so he wanted to take Elena to make her jealous. Anyway, they get to the convention and the guy tells Elena that he really brought her just because she's black. And Elena says, "ExCUSE me?" And the guy says, "You're black, so it makes me cool. It makes me a man of the people, kinda like Bono!" (Elena proceeded to punch him...which made it even funnier)

I thought it was pretty cool. Although most of my friends said they probably wouldn't have known who Bono was if they didn't live next to rabid U2 fan.

__________________

kariatari is offline  
Old 04-18-2002, 04:28 PM   #2
War Child
 
kariatari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Iowa
Posts: 935
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MBH:
How in the world would they not know who Bono is? Just curious, how old are you and your friends? With the Super Bowl appearance and MTV alone they should have a good idea who Bono is....
They are my age, 18-19 yrs old. (Don't ask me how they wouldn't know Bono, cuz I'm not exactly sure either. )

I do know that they didn't know who Bono was before last fall when we all moved into the dorms - they knew who U2 were, they just didn't know who Bono was. Also, the only reason why they watched the Super Bowl is because I forced them to watch the halftime with me, and they hardly - if ever - watch MTV. They are also not the type of people who pay close attention to the news, so they wouldn't have caught him on CNN or CSPAN or anything like that.

Being a hardcore U2 fan, it's kind of hard to believe that anybody *wouldn't* know who Bono. But look at all of the exposure that all of the crappy Boy Bands have had - over the last few years, they've had a LOT. Even with all of that exposure, Justin Timberlake is the only Boy Band member that I can name.

[This message has been edited by kariatari (edited 04-18-2002).]
__________________

kariatari is offline  
Old 04-18-2002, 05:33 PM   #3
MBH
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: wantagh, ny usa
Posts: 392
Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kariatari:
They are my age, 18-19 yrs old. (Don't ask me how they wouldn't know Bono, cuz I'm not exactly sure either. )

I do know that they didn't know who Bono was before last fall when we all moved into the dorms - they knew who U2 were, they just didn't know who Bono was. Also, the only reason why they watched the Super Bowl is because I forced them to watch the halftime with me, and they hardly - if ever - watch MTV. They are also not the type of people who pay close attention to the news, so they wouldn't have caught him on CNN or CSPAN or anything like that.

Being a hardcore U2 fan, it's kind of hard to believe that anybody *wouldn't* know who Bono. But look at all of the exposure that all of the crappy Boy Bands have had - over the last few years, they've had a LOT. Even with all of that exposure, Justin Timberlake is the only Boy Band member that I can name.

[This message has been edited by kariatari (edited 04-18-2002).]
Good point....usually the most popular member of the band is the one that "everyone" seems to know, hence Bono and Timberlake...maybe we can't relate b/c we are such avid fans....oh well...
MBH is offline  
Old 04-18-2002, 06:04 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
wertsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: on a country road...
Posts: 4,752
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Hey, that's really cool! I don't watch Felicity, but still...

Hey, you gave me an idea. Where have you seen/heard U2 mentioned on TV shows in general? I've got lots of times...

1. WOWY played on "Friends"
2. On the old TNBC show "California Dreams" in the early 90s, a record store was having a special where you would get a lock of Bono's hair with a purchase of one of their cds...lmao
3. On Saved by the Bell in the early 90s, the gang tried to get U2 tickets! (ZooTv....woohoo!)
4. Oh, and also on Friends, Emily, Ross' ex-wife, mentions at one point that she hasn't seen one of her old boyfriends "since that U2 concert!"
5. This is a movie, but...On Ferris Bueller's Day Off, there's a "War" poster in one of the scenes...Or maybe it's Boy. I can't remember. I'll have to watch it again.
6. Last summer when I was watching the MTV show "Undressed" one of the dorm rooms had a ATYCLB poster.
7. I know I've seen an R&H poster in several TV shows, but the only one I can remember right now is the early 90s show "Almost Home."
8. On another movie...In the 1989 film "Teen Witch" the witch, played by Robyn Lively, is saying a spell and when her friend comes up and asks her what she said, she says, "Oh, it's a new U2 song. It's really cool. It's an import!"

That's all I got...For now!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com
wertsie is offline  
Old 04-18-2002, 06:08 PM   #5
Den Mother
 
NicaMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Well my heart is where it's always been, my head is somewhere in between.
Posts: 1,773
Local Time: 02:04 PM
wertsie, in Smallville they've played "Beautiful Day" and "Elevation".
I love little U2 surprises.
NicaMom is offline  
Old 04-18-2002, 06:10 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
wertsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: on a country road...
Posts: 4,752
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by NicaMom:
wertsie, in Smallville they've played "Beautiful Day" and "Elevation".
I love little U2 surprises.
Really? Cool! I watched that show for a bit, but it interferes with Friends so I don't anymore..lmao

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com
wertsie is offline  
Old 04-18-2002, 06:27 PM   #7
Den Mother
 
NicaMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Well my heart is where it's always been, my head is somewhere in between.
Posts: 1,773
Local Time: 02:04 PM
Yeah and both times they played most of the songs.
You need to set the VCR to tape Smallville, it's very entertaining and I have a feeling someone there is a U2 fan.
NicaMom is offline  
Old 04-18-2002, 08:03 PM   #8
War Child
 
kariatari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Iowa
Posts: 935
Local Time: 05:04 PM
OMG!! wertsie!! I used to watch Teen witch over and over and over again!! LOL! That's crazy!

Here are some "U2 surprises" that I thought of...

1. Somebody on Cheers once said that their favorite band was U2
2. In the beginning of Family Matters, there is a RollingStone magazine w/ Bono on front
3. My mom said that on Ellen, Ellen was giving advice to one of her students and she broke out into a U2 song.
4. Here's a Movie one...In A Night at the Roxbury, there is a Pop CD sitting on one of the brothers' bedstands.
kariatari is offline  
Old 04-18-2002, 08:34 PM   #9
Refugee
 
Desire4Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
Posts: 1,921
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kariatari:
OMG!! wertsie!! I used to watch Teen witch over and over and over again!! LOL! That's crazy!

Here are some "U2 surprises" that I thought of...

1. Somebody on Cheers once said that their favorite band was U2
2. In the beginning of Family Matters, there is a RollingStone magazine w/ Bono on front
3. My mom said that on Ellen, Ellen was giving advice to one of her students and she broke out into a U2 song.
4. Here's a Movie one...In A Night at the Roxbury, there is a Pop CD sitting on one of the brothers' bedstands.
Hey we had a thread of all the stuff like this on PLEBA a few weeks ago!

Interesting Bono/Felicity trival connection: (I saw this written the paper about her) Felicity's ratings dramatically dropped after she chopped off all her lovely hair. Reminds me of someone else whose album sales were lower when he did the same to his lovely hair LOL. Don't flame. Couldn't resist.

Desire4Bono is offline  
Old 04-18-2002, 09:27 PM   #10
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 429
Local Time: 10:04 PM
this is a cool and interesting post that deserves its own thread in "everything you know is wrong." can we move it there?

during the howard stern grammy show in 94 he was BEGGING bababooey to get bono on the show. he was getting him all these guests and stern was like "i want bono!' and booey was like "i don't think we're going to get bono but we do have... "

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever
Hitman is offline  
Old 04-18-2002, 10:28 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
wertsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: on a country road...
Posts: 4,752
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Oh, then there's Moulin Rouge, where they sang:

"In the name of love...One NIGHT in the name of love.."

I started laughing at that part!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com
wertsie is offline  
Old 04-18-2002, 10:39 PM   #12
War Child
 
Mark Freedman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: FL
Posts: 750
Local Time: 05:04 PM
On Gilmore Girls, they mentioned U2 / Bono in like 3 out of 4 shows at one stretch.
Mark Freedman is offline  
Old 04-18-2002, 10:41 PM   #13
War Child
 
Mark Freedman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: FL
Posts: 750
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Took me long enough to get to 500 posts !
Mark Freedman is offline  
Old 04-18-2002, 11:28 PM   #14
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 343
Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie:
Oh, then there's Moulin Rouge, where they sang:

"In the name of love...One NIGHT in the name of love.."

I started laughing at that part!

I was just happy U2 managed to get a line in there, given all the other songs that were being used.

MSU2mike is offline  
Old 04-19-2002, 12:35 AM   #15
War Child
 
kariatari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Iowa
Posts: 935
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Desire4Bono:


Interesting Bono/Felicity trival connection: (I saw this written the paper about her) Felicity's ratings dramatically dropped after she chopped off all her lovely hair. Reminds me of someone else whose album sales were lower when he did the same to his lovely hair LOL. Don't flame. Couldn't resist.


I heard that too! (About Felicity anyway... )

Ya know, I wasn't a die-hard back during pop, but I remember thinking, "What the hell did Bono do to all of his gorgeous hair?!" But now that I look back on the Pop look, it's pretty feckin' shexy! I *LOVE* the little bit of stubble he had goin' on with the buzz cut...he looked pretty bad-ass if ya ask me!
kariatari is offline  
Old 04-19-2002, 03:07 AM   #16
MBH
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: wantagh, ny usa
Posts: 392
Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kariatari:
Ordinarilly, I probably wouldn't mention it, but since things have been kinda slow lately, I thought, "What the hell!"

Anyway, I was watchin' 'Felicity' last night (the WB show w/ Kerri Russell...)and one of the characters asked his friend Elena to a Save the World convention thingy. Evidently, there was a girl that he wanted
to impress, so he wanted to take Elena to make her jealous. Anyway, they get to the convention and the guy tells Elena that he really brought her just because she's black. And Elena says, "ExCUSE me?" And the guy says, "You're black, so it makes me cool. It makes me a man of the people, kinda like Bono!" (Elena proceeded to punch him...which made it even funnier)

I thought it was pretty cool. Although most of my friends said they probably wouldn't have known who Bono was if they didn't live next to rabid U2 fan.

How in the world would they not know who Bono is? Just curious, how old are you and your friends? With the Super Bowl appearance and MTV alone they should have a good idea who Bono is....
MBH is offline  
Old 04-19-2002, 03:14 AM   #17
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MA/NH
Posts: 310
Local Time: 10:04 PM
I usually don't watch Felicity but I did last night and I thought that's what that guy said. I had to think about it and wished I could rewind it to see! Thanks for confirming it

------------------
"And when it's raining,
raining hard, that's when the rain will break my heart."
U2morrow is offline  
Old 04-19-2002, 06:58 AM   #18
Refugee
 
Desire4Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
Posts: 1,921
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kariatari:

I heard that too! (About Felicity anyway... )

Ya know, I wasn't a die-hard back during pop, but I remember thinking, "What the hell did Bono do to all of his gorgeous hair?!" But now that I look back on the Pop look, it's pretty feckin' shexy! I *LOVE* the little bit of stubble he had goin' on with the buzz cut...he looked pretty bad-ass if ya ask me!
Maybe I just like beautiful guys more than 'bad asses' but I think he looked fecking awful with the Pop look LOL. It just didn't suit him. Looks much better with hair. So does Kerri Russell



------------------
I've seen his baby blue eyes in the freeze frame so many times I feel like I'm his very best friend~~~~
Desire4Bono is offline  
Old 04-19-2002, 07:52 AM   #19
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 320
Local Time: 10:04 PM
In Mrs. Doubtfire there is a U2 poster in the girl's bedroom...can't remember which one ...seems like it was the Joshua Tree.

I don't remember which sitcom this was...but I remember this guy had finally gotten up the courage to tell a girl he loved her...and she didn't hear him and asked him what he had just said and he chickened out.

"I said I love U2...you know...Bono and those guys"

Then of course there was that mention in the Commitments...I don't remember it exactly but it was a sarcastic remark of an Irish father to his son concerning his new band ..jokingly implying that the new band would be some kind of threat to U2. Which it was not...


dream wanderer

[This message has been edited by dream wanderer (edited 04-19-2002).]
dream wanderer is offline  
Old 04-19-2002, 11:26 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Giant Lemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: out in the slipstream
Posts: 3,265
Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie:
Oh, then there's Moulin Rouge, where they sang:

"In the name of love...One NIGHT in the name of love.."
I'm happy that they threw a U2 song in that medley (and that Ewan McGregor got to sing it!), but now I know way too many people who think that the line really is "one night." I try to explain that it's a song about MLK and not that kind of love, but I don't think they get it.
__________________

Giant Lemon is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×