Bono Joker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rafmed

Refugee
Bono Joker!

joker.jpg

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

April 12, 2002
From The Mirror:

BONO IS LEADER OF THE PACK AS JOKER
Elaine Edwards

BONO may be playing the joker but his new change of image is not to be laughed at.

The U2 frontman is all dressed up to raise money for charity as the joker card in
thousands of decks of cards for the Irish Hospice Foundation. And the original image
on which Bono has written a message went to auction last night.

More than 25,000 card packs have been sold so far, bringing in nearly EUR500,000
for the charity.

The original works from Art: pack, a deck of cards designed by top artists and featuring
a host of stars, were auctioned at Royal Hibernian Academy.

Spokeswoman for Art: pack Jill Forde said: "This is an exciting and unusual collaboration
and the price range of the originals should suit all pockets." However, many of the pictures
were snapped up last night by the stars who dug deep in their pockets.

April 12, 2002
From ShowBiz Ireland:

Bono Finally Plays His Joker Card

U2 frontman Bono raised Euro 3,500 on Wednesday night for Irish charity with a single
playing card.

The singer was one of 52 Irish celebrities who designed and signed their own
playing card for the charity - raising funds in their home country.

Both Bono and his best friend Gavin Friday donated designs on seperate playing
cards to fill the pack. However, Friday's card only received a bid of ?650.

The U2 singer's card was expected to raise the most money on the night in Dublin
however some of Ireland's more established artists left the singer in the dust
generating twice the U2 frontman's price.

Artist Robert Ballagh raised Euro 6,000 for his card at the auction while other Irish artists
such as Pauline Bewick got Euro 2,200 and Patrick Scott got Euro 3,000.

Sadly, Bono did not make the auction but his mates Gavin Friday, Guggi, and Paul
McGuinness (U2 manager) did.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

[This message has been edited by rafmed (edited 04-12-2002).]

Thanks for posting this raf, I have a story about cards and art, so this ties in nicely.The card looks so different to how I had imagined it would be.
These cards were mentioned here in the forum when they were first produced. I know I was keen
smile.gif
but they were 25 pounds from an address in Dublin. I hope they are still available for you.
A good idea, a successful fund raiser, a worthy cause.

Originally posted by hotpepper:
Anyone know where a person like myself can perhaps purchase a deck of these cards?

Artpack.com
I bought 2 packs last year...they're awesome cards!

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

Back
Top Bottom