Bono is singing today w/ Britney and N'Sync...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
way to go, bono! i hope this song becomes as big as "we are the world", as it lends support to a great cause. just another reason to love this band...
smile.gif

Don't you know we're not allowed to talk about N'Sync? When I mentioned listening to them, I broke mikal's thread!
biggrin.gif

I think that's cool though. I can't wait to hear the final result!

------------------
Trust In God...But Lock Your Doors

I pray to God we only get to hear Bono sing
Britney and those other clowns can do a dance routine

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
A lot of people have ranted about how Sting sold out completely when he sang with the B-Boys at Men Strike Back. Will Bono get a similar reaction ??

I think he might.

Some people will skip right over the "it's for a good cause" bit, and equate this to Aerosmith and Nsync at the Superbowl.

A lot of people have ranted about how Sting sold out completely when he sang with the B-Boys at Men Strike Back. Will Bono get a similar reaction ??

i don't think so, because bono's not "selling out". by singing with n'sync, he's not trying to make money for himself, but for AIDS relief. given how involved he's been in politics (drop the debt, jubilee 2000, etc.), i don't see how anyone could write off bono's involvement as simply "selling out". those who do must not be aware of how much time and effort bono has put into his political causes.

even though i don't particularly care for britney or christina (and i think most U2 fans don't), i still have to respect bono's efforts to raise money for a global problem. if it can help to ameliorate the AIDS crisis in any way, i really hope this song is a hit!

Originally posted by anitram:

Some people will skip right over the "it's for a good cause" bit, and equate this to Aerosmith and Nsync at the Superbowl.

But this situation is totally different! I think that there will be so much press/hype surrounding this song that people will definitely understand that it's for AIDS research.

The fact is that Britney, Christina, N'Sync, Destiny's Child, et al, are who the vast majority of people listen to. Hopefully, their involvement will draw attention to the AIDS problem, and help to educate people. Personally, I don't see how that can be a bad thing....

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.
wink.gif

By involving all these people I agree its targetting a larger audience to be aware, in particular young Americans.
And there's Bono getting himself right in there and licking the arse of pop with a bit of his rawk star appeal!
smile.gif

Well we all know how much he digs Beyonce
smile.gif

Go Bono!
I'm not a huge Britney/N'Sync fan but its for a really good cause.
Laura.

------------------
Sometimes it is necessary to touch bottom in order to know which way is up

I suppose by working with Britney and that on this it will raise awareness in younger children and reach a larger group of people but whoever is involved I know Bono feels strongly about this issue and am very proud of all his efforts with various causes over the years.He is a great example to others and a blessing to all whos lives he touches.
Laura.

------------------
Sometimes it is necessary to touch bottom in order to know which way is up

I ofcourse like the idea... I just think it's sad that it had to be those people he get to sing with.. argh!

Remember though, this was the band that did Live Aid and the Conspiracy of Hope tour, etc. We haven't had anything like that in the music industry in a long time so maybe this will motivate young people to start becoming politically active-- young people that never saw Live Aid, etc.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

Originally posted by Ally:
i don't think so, because bono's not "selling out". by singing with n'sync, he's not trying to make money for himself, but for AIDS relief. given how involved he's been in politics (drop the debt, jubilee 2000, etc.), i don't see how anyone could write off bono's involvement as simply "selling out". those who do must not be aware of how much time and effort bono has put into his political causes.

Was Men Strike Back a good cause thing too? I can't remember. I just thought Sting got quite a lot of undeserved flak for that--I thought it was no big deal. But I admit that I have a bit of a "Sting can do no wrong" thing going, and I have for half my life
rolleyes.gif

Men Strike Back raised money for the VH1 Save the Music campaign that gives money to schools to fund their music programs. A very good cause if I do say so myself.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

Originally posted by sharky:
Men Strike Back raised money for the VH1 Save the Music campaign that gives money to schools to fund their music programs. A very good cause if I do say so myself.

Hah! I am justified in my continuing reverence for Sting!
biggrin.gif

------------------
In time you'll see that some things travel faster than light
In time you'll recognize that love is larger than life
And praise will come to those whose kindness leaves you without debt
And bends the shape of things that haven't happened yet

-Neil Finn

They sacrifice so much for the good of others... even singing along with the likes of Britney! Which I'll make an exception for in this case
wink.gif

------------------
"If I am close to the music, and you are close to the music, we are close to each other." -Bono

sq-bono-destiny-debt-mtv.jpg

Check out the look on Bono's face here. It's obvious his heart is only in this for the cause! He would never sell out to teen pop the way Aerosmith did at the Super Bowl!

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

Isn't this the place where someone usually says something about Jesus eating with the tax collectors and prostitutes???
smile.gif

dream wanderer

[This message has been edited by dream wanderer (edited 09-06-2001).]

Hah! I am justified in my continuing reverence for Sting!
biggrin.gif

What charity does the money from the Jaguar commercial go to?
biggrin.gif

------------------
The joker is the best card.

Originally posted by Hewson:
What charity does the money from the Jaguar commercial go to?
biggrin.gif

In all seriousness, I don't think that was as crass as it appears. Well, in a way.
biggrin.gif
You see, everyone thought that no one would understand Desert Rose. (That was a great sentence.) And having it on that commercial got it out to the masses and made everyone see that it was actually a great song and then it became a huge hit. And yes, this all produced quite a lot of money for Sting, but I do think that Desert Rose is a great song and it deserved to be heard instead of sinking into obscurity as the whole album threatened to do before it won those Grammys.

If Sting has done anything crass lately, I thought that hanging big banners saying "Compaq" over the stage on his tour was not in the most strictly good taste. But as I said, I forgive Sting everything. I'm more forgiving of him than of U2. I can't help it, it's just the way I am
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom