Bono disagrees with McGuinness...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nope, playing good guy, bad guy.

Paul handles business, Bono handles the audience.

Yep, that's pretty much how I see it. Bono gets to be the cool musician who's only interested in the art and the fans and McGuinness makes sure they all continue to be able to afford the lifestyles to which they have become accustomed. Pretty sweet (and smart) deal.

God,it would be nice if they could get a moment's peace while trying to finish up their new album.
As sad as I was to hear that HQ will be torn down....I take comfort from the fact that it won't be as easy to burden them again and again while they're trying to work (in the new tower).........on tour it's not a big deal to stand and wait for them..they're on tour and it's time to meet the fans...but at home???

U2 must be the most patient band in the world...bar none

Well, the way I see things they actually have the choice of ignoring the fans outside. Larry for example isn't known to pose for pictures with the fans or signing stuff. From what I understand Adam and Edge stop by occasionally and Bono is the one who greets the fans most often.
I mean, do you think he draws a dove tattoo on someone's calf because he feels forced to do so?

Most fans seem to be rather quiet and respective to the band, interfering only as little as possible. The fans I've met outside HQ have all been polite persons. The fans could just step up to the door and bang away until someone opened but they don't - they patiently wait for their turn in the cold or rain or whatever. If the band feel like it's unpleasant to work in an evironment like this I think we would've known by now. It does happen that the band members don't stop to sign or talk to the fans every now and then - so as I said before - they do have a choice in my opinion to just say "Sorry, I can't stop right now, we got work to do". I don't think that would upset anyone in their right mind.

God,it would be nice if they could get a moment's peace while trying to finish up their new album.
As sad as I was to hear that HQ will be torn down....I take comfort from the fact that it won't be as easy to burden them again and again while they're trying to work (in the new tower).........on tour it's not a big deal to stand and wait for them..they're on tour and it's time to meet the fans...but at home???

U2 must be the most patient band in the world...bar none

As Edge89 said above they don't have to stop if they don't want to. Larry doesn't stop very often as thats the way he is, but Bono, Adam and Edge stop quite regulary. The could just drive out of the garage with out a glance at the fans but when they can they stop and take time to talk, pose for photos with and sign autographs with their fans.

There is a difference between going to studio and going to their homes. Most fans at the studio are very respectful except for maybe 1% who go that bit too far.

Anyway back to the point of the thread, i'd be interested to see Bono's full letter when it is printed. Until i've seen the whole letter I will reserve my opinion.

Anyway back to the thread.. here's the letter from this week's NME:

BONO WRITES

I wanted to set the record straight on behald of the members of U2 on comment made to the BBC by our much-loved and valued manager, Paul McGuinness, rearding Radiohead's decision to make the music of 'In Rainbows' available as a download, using the 'honesty box' idea for payment.
We agree with our manager that this is a head-scratching and worrisome time for many musicians who, unlike ourselves, are depending on royalty or publishing cheques to pay the rent (particularly songwriters). We also agree that it is disturbing to see so-called 'disintermediation' of the music business [the cutting out of middlemen such as record shops, labels etc. between listeners and musicians caused by the internet - Ed] when so many music lovers are losing their jobs. And while there is no doubt that it's extremely difficult for new artists to get the kind of investment on which U2 depended in the first few wobbly years of recording, we disagree with Paul's assessment of Radiohead's release as "having backfired to a certain extent". We think they were courageous and imaginative in trying to figure out some new relationship with their audience. Such imagination and courage are in short supply right now...they're a sacred talent and we feel blessed to be around at the same time.

With respect, Bono

Heh. Next week in NME:

EDGE WRITES

I wish to set the record straight on my behalf on comment made by our much-loved and valued lead singer Bono on comment made to the BBC by our much-loved and valued manager, Paul McGuinness... :D

Heh. Next week in NME:

EDGE WRITES

I wish to set the record straight on my behalf on comment made by our much-loved and valued lead singer Bono on comment made to the BBC by our much-loved and valued manager, Paul McGuinness... :D

The following week in NME, Thom Yorke writes:

I wish to set the record straight on my behalf on the comment made by our much-loved and valued fellow recording artist, The Edge, on a comment made by our much-loved and valued fellow recording artist, Bono, on a comment made to the BBC by the much-loved and valued recording manager, Paul McGuinness, of our much-loved and valued fellow recording artist, U2, regarding our much-loved and valued decision to...

Anyway back to the thread.. here's the letter from this week's NME:

BONO WRITES

I wanted to set the record straight on behald of the members of U2 on comment made to the BBC by our much-loved and valued manager, Paul McGuinness, rearding Radiohead's decision to make the music of 'In Rainbows' available as a download, using the 'honesty box' idea for payment.
We agree with our manager that this is a head-scratching and worrisome time for many musicians who, unlike ourselves, are depending on royalty or publishing cheques to pay the rent (particularly songwriters). We also agree that it is disturbing to see so-called 'disintermediation' of the music business [the cutting out of middlemen such as record shops, labels etc. between listeners and musicians caused by the internet - Ed] when so many music lovers are losing their jobs. And while there is no doubt that it's extremely difficult for new artists to get the kind of investment on which U2 depended in the first few wobbly years of recording, we disagree with Paul's assessment of Radiohead's release as "having backfired to a certain extent". We think they were courageous and imaginative in trying to figure out some new relationship with their audience. Such imagination and courage are in short supply right now...they're a sacred talent and we feel blessed to be around at the same time.

With respect, Bono

It actually seems pretty sincere. If there's a tension between Bono and McGuinness right now about future distribution methods, maybe that's a good thing. McGuinness probably thinks that the last album was one of their greatest, if he's just looked at the number of units moved.

to be quite honest I don't get Bono's comment
McGuinness never blamed Radiohead of not being courageous or imaginative
just that their idea partly backfired (to be quite honest I don't have a clue what he means by that, could be a couple of things)

but oh well

Well either way, he's wrong. Perhaps this model wouldn't work for most bands (especially unknown ones), but to say that it backfired is either completely oblivious to what Radiohead has said about the results, or calling them flat-out liars.

maybe he misunderstood what Radiohead exactly tried to accomplish
to be quite honest, as much as I don't understand why McGuinness reckons Radiohead's action somewhat backfired, I don't exactly get what Radiohead was trying to accomplish either
especially given that Radiohead still released the album later on anyway

if it was a gesture to their fans it was a strange one as they are the only ones (likely) to fork out twice now
if it was to get people to d/l from them and perhaps pay something instead of just d/l-ing it illegally elsewhere then it might have made them a couple of bucks which they prolly lost out on again on the actual release on the album
if it was meant as a middle finger to the record industry then it was as useful as kicking a 3-legged dog while its lying down

so in conclusion
I don't get why Radiohead chose to release the album this way (except for the media stunt / attention value)
I don't get why McGuinness thinks it backfired
and I don't understand why Bono/U2 feels McGuinness was wrong

but at least this way both U2 and Radiohead are in NME
so perhaps that's the main thing

if it was to get people to d/l from them and perhaps pay something instead of just d/l-ing it illegally elsewhere then it might have made them a couple of bucks which they prolly lost out on again on the actual release on the album

I think this is the basis for McGuinness' statement that Radiohead's move backfired (a bit). People could download a legal version for free from their website. Still, many people downloaded it illegally elsewhere.

I think this is the basis for McGuinness' statement that Radiohead's move backfired (a bit). People could download a legal version for free from their website. Still, many people downloaded it illegally elsewhere.

exactly. What Radiohead did was brave, and a complete failure. People are greedy, and will take whatever they can for free.

Radiohead "fans":

"I'm not gonna pay for a lossy 160 kbps recording."

Why won't they release the actual numbers?

Months later Trent Reznor releases 192kbps, 320kbps and lossless copies.

Less than 19 in 100 pay. People are greedy. Radiohead are naive.

That sounds really interesting :hmm: I bought the other Product Red songs they have released before from The Killers, etc... but does anyone know if that was considered successful? Maybe so if they are going forward like this with Red music.

But rather than just counting on the popularity of individual songs, this is a subscription service so the income won't be tied to the success or failure of individual tracks. So it is a much more sustainable revenue flow as long as the subscribers stay happy. Once people subscribe to something they usually have to get pretty fed up before they go to the trouble of canceling so as long as the overall quality is reasonable they will keep customers even if they have some clunkers along the way. It does look interesting and hopefully it will come to something but we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Dana

^ Exactly why I think it sounds pretty interesting. Plus with the individual songs I don't even think many people knew about them. Even now I found it pretty impossible to find anything about it on Itunes.

I wouldn't call Radiohead's move a complete failure. But I do think that the strategy will only work once for them. It generated so much publicity and tons of people clambered to hear a record that probably wouldn't have given a toss after Hail to the Thief. I'm sure In Rainbows will go on to sell more than at least their last couple records and their tour will make them a ton of cash. I don't know how many articles I read on Radiohead during the online stuff. A bunch. You can't buy that kind of coverage. I guess you can by giving away your music...:hmm:

Bono's move was surely just to show that he was still down with the precious artistes, that he's not perceived as the moneyman that Paul McG is.

Having said that, the next U2 record will probably be the first that I don't pick up a physical copy of. It's just not important to me to have all that plastic stacked up on my shelves. And as a previous musical fetishist, I never thought I would say that.

Back
Top Bottom