BONO: Becoming more famous for activism?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My girlfriend was very ignorant of U2 before I started dating her last year. But she can't seem to take U2's music seriously. But she adores Bono for being the activist he is, and I don't think she really even thinks about him being a musician. I admire his political efforts too, but I do get sick of headlines like: "Political activist Bono does this and that and the other thing". It's like U2 is a side-job for him now. It worries me. Anybody else experience this?

Not really. I guess it's because I got into U2 back in the '80's when I was demonstrating against Reagan's policies and I thought of U2 as a protest band. In a way I still do even if Bono is going to the White House and Congress. Protesting is about changing the status quo. So is rock 'n roll IMO.I don't think of it as a "dual process". It's part of being an "intelligent, thoughtful rock star" as opposed to just being a rock star who trashes hotel rooms, nabs chicks, and that's that. If you ask me that's a really old, tired definition of a rock star, one I'm really tired of and don't really like.

Not really worried, but keep in mind his passion has never been just directed towards music. Even though music may have almost always occupied his every waking moment. Having been a "grown" man for some decade's now, he puts his passions concerning the world injustice's he see's - ahead or equal with his passion for music. If he is to be in this world for an indefinite time he has to care passionately about the affairs of it. The best way to do this is to make one's celeberity work for them. He's worked for a long time to make his voice heard on the very issues he's making noise about now. Something more people should begin to care about. It's no longer about you or me - it's about them. The voices of those who wouldn't be heard, were it not for someone like Bono. Bang the dust bins Brother, there's more of us listening than you think. Then there are those who will hear, only, when you sing... but, you know, whatever works.
:heart:
(note: By the way that's a great girlfriend you have there, acrobat. She's a keeper if you know what's good for you. She'll really love the music, once she has experienced it personally.)

Last edited:
It doesn't worry me a bit, because I feel that he'd never completely forget about his music. But even if he did, the lives he fights to save are infinitely more valuable than all the U2 albums ever purchased. Honestly, I think he wishes he could be more focused on U2, but somehow people don't seem to care or realize what's going on in Africa and if he doesn't speak up, no one will. I think a lot of people take for granted the hard decisions he has to make, like balancing time between his family, his music, and his humanitarian work. I once read somewhere that if he could have one thing, it would be more time. Personally, I've only ever met one person from Africa suffering from AIDS, and that one experience was enough to weigh on my heart still every day. I can't imagine what it's like for Bono having been around so many people like that, trying so hard to make even the slightest difference, and then dealing with accusations of being egotistical, preachy, and selfishly motivated. That makes me sick. To me he often looks frusterated and genuinely concerned with the lack of reaction to the AIDS pandemic and poverty in Africa. Maybe U2 is becoming a side job for him. If that's what it takes for him to get his message across, then I only respect him more for being willing to give some of that part of his life up to help people who can't help themselves. It's people like Bono who make me believe this world is worth living in.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
To me he often looks frusterated and genuinely concerned with the lack of reaction to the AIDS pandemic and poverty in Africa. Maybe U2 is becoming a side job for him. If that's what it takes for him to get his message across, then I only respect him more for being willing to give some of that part of his life up to help people who can't help themselves.

I couldn't have said it better myself! It's quite sad that some people see all his work as publicity for U2's new albums....etc. What's true though is that, people ARE starting to recognize him as an activist .... but I'm not at all concerned. It's always nice - not to mention hilarious- when my 14 yr old sister who thinks dance tracks are the best music around refers to Bono as that "africa guy with the glasses" on Oprah.

I guess its probably annoying that he is not seen for everything he is, and that is more than just someone who fights for what they believe in. Behind the political Bono is a very talented musician as we all know. But like he once said, if celebrity is his currency to get in the door and enable things to get noticed and done, its a small price to pay allowing the music to take somewhat of a backseat at times. Eventually he will stop commercially releasing music, but his passion for his beliefs will never die. I think in a way its great to see people who have no idea of what U2 are about, know and learn what is happening because he actually does something even if the music isn't acknowledged.

Angela Harlem said:
Eventually he will stop commercially releasing music, but his passion for his beliefs will never die.

its an entire different discussion, but why do you think that? music will always be his job and i believe he will always keep making great music and (to some extent) make that publicly available as well.

as much as I wish too.. I think he (and the band) will eventually at some point stop making music anymore (other big long-live bands alspo retired at some age) but Bono will contnue to fight for his believes beyond the bands excistence.. he could still do that with 90.. wheras standing on a stage and throwing enthusiatic "whohoos" in the crowd... :hmm: don't think so ;)

Flaming Friar Sr said:

its an entire different discussion, but why do you think that? music will always be his job and i believe he will always keep making great music and (to some extent) make that publicly available as well.

Music is what he has known for the last 30 + years. I dont think he will stop entirely, but cant really say as I have no idea what he thinks of such things - not knowing him at all and such. I think though that they all have the sense to realise "U2" will end one day. What becomes of them in terms of commercial musicians is hard to say. I'm sure there's plenty of solo work and colaborations and all that for them. Its just my guess that Bono's focus will shift into more global issues, be it politics or causes or whatever.

The_acrobat said:
My girlfriend was very ignorant of U2 before I started dating her last year. But she can't seem to take U2's music seriously. But she adores Bono for being the activist he is, and I don't think she really even thinks about him being a musician. I admire his political efforts too, but I do get sick of headlines like: "Political activist Bono does this and that and the other thing". It's like U2 is a side-job for him now. It worries me. Anybody else experience this?

No, Bono is still a U2 frontman first. He is just an opportunist of great intelligence. U2 quickly cashed-in on the 9/11 tragedy by scrolling the names of the missing/dead and bringing firemen onstage. His political activist front is just a mask he wears to differentiate himself from over-the-hill rockstars who are past their vocal, creative, and marketability peaks. At least if he is politically active, he will get some exposure and help boost U2's record sales a bit. If Bono weren't a political activist and if U2 didn't cash-in on the 9/11 tragedy, ATYCLB wouldn't have sold as much as it did. So Bono is still a rock star first, he is just more sly and opportunistic than others. Don't believe his political activist persona - it's just a character like MacPhisto or The Fly.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Re: Re: BONO: Becoming more famous for activism?

jick said:

No, Bono is still a U2 frontman first. He is just an opportunist of great intelligence. U2 quickly cashed-in on the 9/11 tragedy by scrolling the names of the missing/dead and bringing firemen onstage. His political activist front is just a mask he wears to differentiate himself from over-the-hill rockstars who are past their vocal, creative, and marketability peaks. At least if he is politically active, he will get some exposure and help boost U2's record sales a bit. If Bono weren't a political activist and if U2 didn't cash-in on the 9/11 tragedy, ATYCLB wouldn't have sold as much as it did. So Bono is still a rock star first, he is just more sly and opportunistic than others. Don't believe his political activist persona - it's just a character like MacPhisto or The Fly.

If you're joking, it's not funny. If you're serious, you're a pretty sick person.

Jick, You best be showing some hard evidence that U2 cashed in on 9/11. If you cant, reply with clarification that this is just your personal opinion. Either prove it, or state you have no grounds for this.
You should know yourself that he has stated quite the contrary to what you have just posted. The opposite even.

Angela Harlem said:
Jick, You best be showing some hard evidence that U2 cashed in on 9/11. If you cant, reply with clarification that this is just your personal opinion. Either prove it, or state you have no grounds for this.
You should know yourself that he has stated quite the contrary to what you have just posted. The opposite even.

Evidence? What about scrolling the names of the people and bringing firemen onstage? What did it prove? Emotion enhances sales - that is why drama and sappy movies sell well. But did all these gimmicks really serve a purpose? It sure didn't make the world more aware of the 9/11 tragedy (as if there was still someone who didn't know). It sure didn't create any 9/11 foundations or make any charitable help. Maybe if U2 did something like "a-dollar-for-every-name-scrolled-will-be-donated-to-the-9/11-fund" sort of thing then it would help. But all U2 did was enhance their concerts to make it more emotional, so that people go out touched - and this always sells. But U2 being opportunistic is NOT A BAD THING at all. Please do not misconstrue my comments. It is actually a good thing. The people leave the concert touched and teary eyed (just like in a nice drama movie), and U2 enhances its image and sells more tickets and cd's. It's a win-win situation. This is where U2, and especially Bono excel. They are good in creating win-win situations. Bono's Fly character, his Macphisto persona, and now this political activist front - they all add color to the legend of U2. The public gets their money's worth and U2 get to make great records. It's win-win.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

All the concerts had already sold out by the time of 9-11 so that had nothing to do with it. ATYCLB had already sold millions, and if it got a boost in sales again, it came with the 2002 Grammy Award shows and not 9-11. True their last leg shows incorporated the American flag and emotion, but that was natural considering the circumstances. I also think they were trying to show Americans they felt for us, because their country had a history of terrorism and the fear and anger that came with never knowing when and where a bomb would strike.

Some of the songs on ATYCLB became ironically prophetic after 9-11, chilling even. But I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing that out. It was just another sign God was in the house, and how special and important ATYCLB and Elevation were.

I have no comments on your opinions of how U2 handled the Sept. 11 tragedy since I don't know anyone who experiences those events and can't imagine what it was like. I agree that U2 and Bono excel at enhancing emotion and giving the crowd what they want.

HOWEVER

His political activist front is just a mask he wears to differentiate himself from over-the-hill rockstars who are past their vocal, creative, and marketability peaks. At least if he is politically active, he will get some exposure and help boost U2's record sales a bit.

THIS is quite possibly the most ignorant and selfish comment I've read in a LONG time. I am stunned to read that you honestly believe that Bono's activism is nothing more than a 'mask'.

I've never met a more genuine person than Bono and I will NEVER EVER forget the look in his eyes and the way he gestured to the crowd trying to make someone, ANYONE listen and understand and have even the slightest inkling of compassion for someone besides themselves. Nothing weighs more on my conscience then what I learned that day and for you to compare Bono's humanitarian campaign to The Fly and MacPhisto is appalling. Bono's ZooTV personas have nothing to do with his policital campaign, he was involved in Africa LONG before the Fly and MacPhisto were even a figment of his imagination.

People like you are the reason Bono has to spend so much time on the political front. No one is taking this situation seriously, no one recognizes the consequences of what the world has stood back and allowed to happen in Africa. I take it you've never met someone dying of AIDS, or someone who's child has died of AIDS and who thinks it's her fault. I don't understand how some people can sit back and defile Bono's policical motives, and only care about record sales. Do you even care at all?

Last edited:
ummm, yeah. Bono really needs to differentiate himself because ummm...he's never EVER been involved in political stuff before ATYCLB. :tsk: If you truly think this, then you haven't paid attention to the 20+ years that U2 and Bono have been intricately involved in causes and politics. It's part of who they are. If you think it's a sales tactic, then the burden of proof to prove that falls upon you.

I think that for younger fans who came with the latest album/tour, he probably is known more as the "activist guy". To fans who have been around longer, he probably isn't.
However, he has said on many occasions he is first and foremost singer of U2. (and in his own opinion he is better suited for writing rock songs than activism)

As for "cashing in" on 9/11 - if I remember right, ATYCLB did quite allright even before that. (after all, it was almost out for a year till then). Yes they are very good at bringing out emotions but IMO it was never at the cost of making money. The list at the Superbowl performance was more emotional to me than any other 9/11 reference/comment I've seen. (if it was about moving people, then how come they still played Bullet the blue sky on that part of the tour? surely that may have pissed of some people?)

Being an activist only "as a front" is even worse of a claim. Just off the top of my head, the trip to Ethiopia after Live Aid alone would be enough to convince me of his good and true intentions. (without even mentioning several charity events/songs they participated in, or getting real financial help to the poorest countries.)

*edit* Differentiation from other rock stars? Why would Bono - of all rock singers - need differentation from others? As for being over the hill "vocally (not really a fair comment, you can't expect him to sing like he did 15 years ago), creative (hmmm...according to the band and most fans, ATYCLB includes some of their strongest material) and marketing peaks (didn't marketing work really well with the latest album, actually?)

The purpose of the list, according to Bono - and I'm guessing the rest of the band agrees - was to show those lives lost were not just a statistic.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
All the concerts had already sold out by the time of 9-11 so that had nothing to do with it. ATYCLB had already sold millions, and if it got a boost in sales again, it came with the 2002 Grammy Award shows and not 9-11. True their last leg shows incorporated the American flag and emotion, but that was natural considering the circumstances. I also think they were trying to show Americans they felt for us, because their country had a history of terrorism and the fear and anger that came with never knowing when and where a bomb would strike.

Some of the songs on ATYCLB became ironically prophetic after 9-11, chilling even. But I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing that out. It was just another sign God was in the house, and how special and important ATYCLB and Elevation were.

uch...

J-An interesting accusation, to say the least, considering that U2 was offered millions to play at the Superbowl BECAUSE OF their 9/11 commemorations onstage and they refused the money,

SD

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
It doesn't worry me a bit, because I feel that he'd never completely forget about his music. But even if he did, the lives he fights to save are infinitely more valuable than all the U2 albums ever purchased. Honestly, I think he wishes he could be more focused on U2, but somehow people don't seem to care or realize what's going on in Africa and if he doesn't speak up, no one will. I think a lot of people take for granted the hard decisions he has to make, like balancing time between his family, his music, and his humanitarian work. I once read somewhere that if he could have one thing, it would be more time. Personally, I've only ever met one person from Africa suffering from AIDS, and that one experience was enough to weigh on my heart still every day. I can't imagine what it's like for Bono having been around so many people like that, trying so hard to make even the slightest difference, and then dealing with accusations of being egotistical, preachy, and selfishly motivated. That makes me sick. To me he often looks frusterated and genuinely concerned with the lack of reaction to the AIDS pandemic and poverty in Africa. Maybe U2 is becoming a side job for him. If that's what it takes for him to get his message across, then I only respect him more for being willing to give some of that part of his life up to help people who can't help themselves. It's people like Bono who make me believe this world is worth living in.

:yes:.

Angela

sulawesigirl4 said:
ummm, yeah. Bono really needs to differentiate himself because ummm...he's never EVER been involved in political stuff before ATYCLB. :tsk: If you truly think this, then you haven't paid attention to the 20+ years that U2 and Bono have been intricately involved in causes and politics. It's part of who they are. If you think it's a sales tactic, then the burden of proof to prove that falls upon you.

Exactly right.

Ditto U2Kitten and U2girl's posts as well.

Bono's very sincere about what he's doing. You can especially tell that in the "Diary" episode. I think it would offend him if someone said he was doing this stuff merely for publicity reasons. He truly cares about these people.

Sorry, Jick, but I think you are way off base with this one.

Angela

jick said:

Evidence? What about scrolling the names of the people and bringing firemen onstage? What did it prove? Emotion enhances sales - that is why drama and sappy movies sell well. But did all these gimmicks really serve a purpose? It sure didn't make the world more aware of the 9/11 tragedy (as if there was still someone who didn't know). It sure didn't create any 9/11 foundations or make any charitable help. Maybe if U2 did something like "a-dollar-for-every-name-scrolled-will-be-donated-to-the-9/11-fund" sort of thing then it would help. But all U2 did was enhance their concerts to make it more emotional, so that people go out touched - and this always sells. But U2 being opportunistic is NOT A BAD THING at all. Please do not misconstrue my comments. It is actually a good thing. The people leave the concert touched and teary eyed (just like in a nice drama movie), and U2 enhances its image and sells more tickets and cd's. It's a win-win situation. This is where U2, and especially Bono excel. They are good in creating win-win situations. Bono's Fly character, his Macphisto persona, and now this political activist front - they all add color to the legend of U2. The public gets their money's worth and U2 get to make great records. It's win-win.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

If I've misconstrued your comments its because I thought you meant U2 were using the deaths of those individuals to further their own monetary interests. Which we know it didn't as U2kitten pointed out regarding ticket sales etc. I dont agree with the way you view it, I don't think there is a great deal of looking ahead for U2 when they do this. I think its entirely possible for U2 to be like most of the people on this earth who were simply blown away by the entire 9/11 happenings. I honestly believe that quite simply it was them saying "We give a shit too, America here are 3000 reasons why" If I were in their position, I'd ponder it and think 'are people going to take this as us playing the emotion card?' But then I'd come to the conclusion that the point behind it is more important than a fan/critic/cynic getting the wrong idea. Those 3000+ people's lives are bigger than any idea too.

Why do some people refer to my statements as accusations?

I am actually complimenting the band of taking advantage of their opportunities in such a way that everyone benefits and there are no losers in the end - all gainers. This is why U2 have survived and stayed marketable longer than any other band in music history who have not yet disbanded.

U2 know the right chords to strike, the right emotions to appeal to. And Bono knows the right persona and character to play. If in the end it means good music, less people starving, and the emotions of the grieving touched, then it is really a tribute to U2 - hitting multiple birds with one stone.

Nothing in my post is an accusation or anything to degrade the band or Bono.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Re: Re: BONO: Becoming more famous for activism?

jick said:
Don't believe his political activist persona - it's just a character like MacPhisto or The Fly.

Cheers,

J

The King Of POP

So, you say Bono is just faking his concern about AIDS and Third World Debt, and yet you claim your comments weren't meant to degrade him?? I think you are talking out of both sides of your mouth here, jick.

Back
Top Bottom