Bono and Adam Curry !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onyourkneesboy

The Fly
Does anyone of you remember this:

1987, The Joshua Tree-tour:
Just before the start of the concert in Holland Rotterdam, De Kuip Stadium, Bono gave an interview to Adam Curry.
Adam Curry during that time was the VJ/DJ/presenter/interviewer for a Dutch music-show called Countdown.

First of the interview went normal with Bono answering questions and even playing Lucille on his acoustic guitar...

But then, completely out of the blue, Adam Curry made a huge mistake by asking Bono:
"...so tell me Bono: how's your love-life?"
Bono reacted completely stunned and one could see he got annoyed and replied to Adam Curry: "How long do I know you?" Then Adam said: "I don't know, I never kiss on a first date!"

Bono then was completely fed-up with him and said: "well, at such a question I think I take my leave!"
Bono stood up, wrapped his guitar under his arm and walked away...! Then Adam nervously giggled a little and looked in the camera saying: "so far for U2!" Adam Curry looked like a complete jack-ass.

Now my question is: does anyone of you have this interview somewhere? And would you be willing to share/send it?

Would be great, thx!

When I saw the subject line, I thought it was going to be about some kind of cannibalistic curry involving pieces of Bono and Adam.

Yes I have seen it and can remember it clearly.

Before the interview Bono played an accoustic ´Lucille´ and when the song was finished he comments to the camere ´Just wrote that one this morning´ which was in fact not entirely true since the song had been played a couple of times before.
I remember Bono in a good mood which indeed turned as a leaf during the Adam Curry interview.

The full broadcast was:
- Bono playing Lucille on accoustic guitar sitting on a flight case of something
- the interview-disaster
- a very powerful ´I will Follow´ of the actual concert.

In fact I once had it on tape. That is on the now extinct VIDEO2000 system, the Philips-counterpart of the VHS-system (the one that ´won´the battle of the videoplayers) and the Betamax-system.

To be honest, I think my parents still might own the actual tape it was recorded on, probably lying in a box on their attic or something. But, even if I can find it, I think I cannot rework it for you all folks or put it on U2Torrents. I mean VIDEO2000 ?? That´s really the prehistory of videorecording.

cheers,
Alex

Axver said:
When I saw the subject line, I thought it was going to be about some kind of cannibalistic curry involving pieces of Bono and Adam.

:lmao:

Axver said:

I'd like mine extra hot, and hold the chutney!

By the way, granted it was a pretty dumb question, but it could easily have been laughed off. I wonder why Bono was so offended by it...guilty conscience, perhaps?:wink:

Axver said:

I thought I was the only one who was thinking something like that!

I also thought about baked chicken and stuffing with curry powder. :drool:

Great. Now I'm hungry.

Axver said:

LOL

I thought maybe the person who started this got a recipe from Bono and Adam.

Adam: no no Bono, that's supposed to be 2 teaspoons of curry powder, not 2 tablespoons!

Bono: oh yeah, I knew that was just er, testing ye.

Hahaha, what funny jokes:yawn: ...and so original!:yawn:

Nothing about the subject, just "fans" making the most obvious jokes!

Come on, of course the guy has an odd name. But that's not what the thread is about.

Feh. What a thing to ask. Curry should have known Bono wouldn't answer that one. Nobody's bidness, frankly. I would've responded the same way Bono did. In fact, I do. Seriously nosy and intrusive, especially when it's in front of God knows how many folks. Besides, Ali might not want her life out there in public.
Just beyond the pale, the things celebs get asked these days, as if the public really needs to know.
Okay. Rant over.:p

I don't see what the big deal is. I mean he told Q Magazine that he and Ali love to shag. :shrug:
He was a bit more conservative in the 80s though..that's probably it.
It's funny because Ali is notoriously private but has said many times she doesn't read newspapers or magazines...so Bono thinks he's fooling her by saying these things thinking "She'll never read this!" just a silly whatever theory:wink:

Last edited:
If Bono was asked the same question today I can't imagine him getting upset at all. Was he really that much more uptight in the 80's? Maybe he thought that Curry was insinuating something? Maybe he was in a bad mood? His reation just sounds out of character. Then again, Bono of the late 80's and Bono of today are a bit different, I guess.

If he puts it out there, then yeah sure pin him down. But if he doesn't invite it, well, expect to get verbally slapped. .

I just think the questipon was out of place. But then, I'm wierd like that.

Watching old episodes of Headbangers Ball hosted by the out-of-place Curry, I can see that the uncomfortable interview was one of his trademarks :wink:

Back
Top Bottom