Birthday Money

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Hi everyone! Pretty sure no one picked up on it, but I haven't posted in like six days. Has Please been knocked out of the Pop worst of yet? Because I remember hearing that there would be BLOODSHED if it was in the last two.

Anyway.

It was my birthday on Monday and I got a moblie phone and an iPod. But I also got some money. With this money, I'm going to get The Joshua Tree, and also either the Elevation tour DVD (for roughly $40 and up) or the Slane gig DVD ($25 and up). To help me make up my mind, which would be better to get? Does anyone known the song listings? Also does the Elevation DVD have any special features? Any help appreciated.

Thanks! :wave:

elevation boston dvd sucks!!!!!

get the slane dvd it also has the unforgettable fire documentary!!! or even better get the R&H dvd!! its better than both slane and boston combined!!
what ever you do stay away from the elevation boston dvd!!:mad:

the one redeeming value of the Boston DVD is the performance of the Fly :drool: :rockon: :drool:

also a good performance of Gone

COBL_04 said:
It was my birthday on Monday and I got a moblie phone and an iPod. But I also got some money. With this money, I'm going to get The Joshua Tree, and also either the Elevation tour DVD (for roughly $40 and up) or the Slane gig DVD ($25 and up). To help me make up my mind, which would be better to get? Does anyone known the song listings? Also does the Elevation DVD have any special features? Any help appreciated.

Thanks! :wave:

First of all, congrats with your birthday!

Now, for the serious business. In a way I can't really recommend one of those DVDs over the other. Both concerts are good to great and it's for your own preference of certain songs to decide which one you want to have now (because you do want to have them both later :))
First of all, the setlists. This is the list for Elevation Boston:
1. Elevation
2. Beautiful Day
3. Until The End of the World
4. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
5. Kite
6. Gone
7. New York
8. I Will Follow
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. In A Little While
11. Desire
12. Stay (Faraway, So Close)
13. Bad
14. Where The Streets Have No Name
15. Bullet The Blue Sky
16. With Or Without You
17. The Fly
18. Wake Up Dead Man
19. Walk On

Here's the list for Slane:
1. Elevation
2. Beautiful Day
3. Until The End Of The World
4. New Year's Day
5. Out Of Control
6. Sunday Bloody Sunday
7. Wake Up Dead Man
8. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
9. Kite
10. Angel Of Harlem
11. Desire
12. Staring At The Sun
13. All I Want Is You
14. Where The Streets Have No Name
15. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
16. Bullet The Blue Sky
17. With Or Without You
18. One
19. Walk On

As for the extras, the main extras on the Elevation Boston DVDs are a tour documentary (something like The Making Of The Filming Of) that details how to film an Elevation concert. And there's the second DVD where you can see parts of the concert from different locations (in the middle of the pit and from the control room). This isn't as exciting as it looks, but still.
The main extra on the Slane DVD is a documentary about the making of The Unforgettable Fire in 1984. Quite interesting, but quite old too.

So, the decision is up to you. :)

I'd go for the Rattle and Hum & Slane DVD's, and if you are lucky enough to find ZooTV Sydney on VHS grab that too.

Happy bday btw.:)

I would get Slane first. It is more emotional, and spontaneous. Boston is a great show but it comes across as too rehearsed for my liking. Slane is the boys out there on that stage, just having fun.

Re: Re: Birthday Money

Popmartijn said:

The main extra on the Slane DVD is a documentary about the making of The Unforgettable Fire in 1984.

ABSOLUTELY brilliant that you mentioned this !! :up:
This is where I think the decision is made between Elevation and Slane !! Since they both have a very similar set list, I would definitely compare the extra features as that's where the difference matters when buying the DVD. I love The Unforgettable Fire documentary because it's truly fascinating watching U2 in their earlier days in the recording studio ... total CLASSIC !! :bow:
I feel absolutely the same about Red Rocks !! :love:
It's U2 when they first started getting the recognition they deserved !! Bono and Edge's performance in particular was INCREDIBLE !! The way they were enjoying joking around while performing back in those days ... another CLASSIC video as well !! :applaud:

COBL_04 said:
To help me make up my mind, which would be better to get?

First buy the Slane DVD for the concert itself and The Unforgettable Fire documentary extra !! :up:
Secondly, buy Red Rocks a truly CLASSIC concert performance back in U2's War era !! :bow: :applaud:

Reasons to get the Boston DVD:

-In a Little While
-Stay
-Bad
-The Fly(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
-a bunch of bonus stuff, like different camera angles and other vids

Reasons to get Slane DVD

-Out of Control
-Mysterious Ways
-With or Without You
-amazing crowd, a lot of energy, a lot of fun
-UF documentary
-beach ball!

Red Rocks is a 100% must -- you must have that video!

Chizip said:
the one redeeming value of the Boston DVD is the performance of the Fly :drool: :rockon: :drool:

also a good performance of Gone

though the slane dvd has "all i want is fucking you!"

Thanks guys! I had a good day too.

I will definitely get the slane gig now. It has basically the same play list, and its a bit cheaper too. I think I got sucked in by the cover of the elevation dvd...

slane is great but don't get it just because it has the UF documentary on it. in actuality that documentary on the slane dvd isn't the complete UF documentary that was released on VHS back in the 80's.

david said:
slane is great but don't get it just because it has the UF documentary on it. in actuality that documentary on the slane dvd isn't the complete UF documentary that was released on VHS back in the 80's.

Actually, it is.

you want U2 live. Not a load of 'emotion' and 80,000 people supposedly in TEARS...:| Boston is the better choice simply because it has the greatest performance of The Fly in existence on there, plus it's a great set in general. Some good'uns missing but you have the benefit of not having crap shots of the band flicking from one to the other every second and the volume of the crowd suddenly rising during songs for no reason...!

david said:
that documentary on the slane dvd isn't the complete UF documentary that was released on VHS back in the 80's.

What did you say ?? :confused:
I own both The Unforgettable Fire documentary on VHS and the Slane Castle DVD ... and both versions of The UF documentary look identical to me ... totally complete with nothing left out !! :up:

Happy Birthday! What a fantastic haul you have there. :drool:

I was the one threatening bloodshed. Please has indeed been eliminated :hyper:

If you havent already, purchase Slane. If you live near a JB theres some marked down, if you are lucky.

MsMofoGone said:

What did you say ?? :confused:
I own both The Unforgettable Fire documentary on VHS and the Slane Castle DVD ... and both versions of The UF documentary look identical to me ... totally complete with nothing left out !! :up:

Didn't the VHS copy of the UF doc have the videos for A Sort of Homecoming and Bad as well as several videos for Pride?

Yes, those videos were on the VHS. But they weren't part of the documentary. They were separate videos.

I think you should go onto ebay and buy a dvd copy of zoo tv live from Sydney

Sydney Zoo tv is far better than Slane and Boston combined!

Far better set list, far better performances (best streets performance EVER! ), far better atmosphere, you won't regret it!

Boston is much better than Slane. First of all, its a better production, and has I Will Follow, Bad, and the Fly. Slane is too greatest hits for me, with not enough nineties material. Boston is more representative of the elevation tour

Back
Top Bottom