Best Song Survivor: Grand Final VIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Studio:

1. AIWIY
2. New Year's Day
3. Until The End Of The World
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. One Tree Hill
6. The Fly
7. Bad
8. WOWY

Live:

1. Bad
2. Until The End Of The World
3. New Year's Day
4. One Tree Hill
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. The Fly
7. AIWIY
8. WOWY

Sorry, WOWY. You fail in any and all contexts.

it's very obvious people are thinking of both studio and live versions when voting, how else do u explain Bad doing so well (i actually like the studio version, but most ppl think of it as much, much inferior to its live renditions)??

voting on studio versions alone doesn't make much sense to me anyhow. for most of us, these songs are an amalgamation of the studio version plus a variety of live performances. like someone else said before, when i hear almost any U2 song, i cannot help "unhear" its many different versions.

U2 is a LIVE band! we all know that. U2 songs have very real, very composite personas of their own. Think of 'em like sports athletes - u cannot judge them on a single performance! anyway, just my two cents, happy voting everybody! hope Bad wins :D

dude, relax, this is the first i've spoken on this issue....i didn't know it had been discussed so fervently before!

and yes, of course it is possible to think of a song's studio version in isolation. i didn't mean it in that way, rather was simply stating that when u appraise a song (especially one by a live band, like U2), u do so on the basis of both the studio version and many live versions. that's y i feel that voting for the best STUDIO version of a song is pretty trivial. anyhow, sorry for bringing this up again, happy voting once again! GO BAD!!!! :D (for the win, not the oust!)

Last edited:
dude, relax, this is the first i've spoken on this issue....i didn't know it had been discussed so fervently before!

and yes, of course it is possible to think of a song's studio version in isolation. i didn't mean it in that way, rather was simply stating that when u appraise a song (especially one by a live band, like U2), u do so on the basis of both the studio version and many live versions. that's y i feel that voting for the best STUDIO version of a song is pretty trivial. anyhow, sorry for bringing this up again, happy voting once again! GO BAD!!!! :D (for the win, not for the oust!)

sorry, didn't mean to sound as snippy as i did. it's just the number of people phrasing the argument that exact way start to blend into one :lol:

in that case, to me at least, it's a simple case of putting aside the live version and thinking of the studio version. if we were thinking of both, i'd be supporting bad - but the studio version sounds half asleep, at best. as it is i'd like to see new year's day win. i consider the first 45 seconds some of the best stuff they've ever done in studio, and the rest of the song is pretty fly too. the unforgettable fire and with or without you wouldn't disappoint me either as winners.

if we were thinking of both, i'd be supporting bad - but the studio version sounds half asleep, at best.

alright, apologies upfront to everyone for continuing this, but that's exactly wat i was talking abt! even to someone like me (who actually really likes the studio version), some of the live renditions of Bad are just about the best thing in the realm of earthly music! so when i look at how well Bad is doing in this competition, it looks like ppl aren't just thinking abt the studio version.

oh and good to know that u support Bad as well (if we include the live versions as well of course) :applaud:

as it is i'd like to see new year's day win. i consider the first 45 seconds some of the best stuff they've ever done in studio, and the rest of the song is pretty fly too. the unforgettable fire and with or without you wouldn't disappoint me either as winners.

yea, i pretty much agree with u abt the unforgettable fire and with or without you....they both have pretty solid studio versions. and i also agree that the starting of new year's day is great, but do u really like the rest of the song (studio) that much?? becuz i'v always thought the studio version of new year's day is nowhere near as good as it is live!

Bad winning the tournament would reflect better on this forum than the overplayed, droning WOWY. But the Fly would more accurately represent its tastes, considering how 90s-centric this forum can be.

alright, apologies upfront to everyone for continuing this, but that's exactly wat i was talking abt! even to someone like me (who actually really likes the studio version), some of the live renditions of Bad are just about the best thing in the realm of earthly music! so when i look at how well Bad is doing in this competition, it looks like ppl aren't just thinking abt the studio version.

oh and good to know that u support Bad as well (if we include the live versions as well of course) :applaud:

yea, i pretty much agree with u abt the unforgettable fire and with or without you....they both have pretty solid studio versions. and i also agree that the starting of new year's day is great, but do u really like the rest of the song (studio) that much?? becuz i'v always thought the studio version of new year's day is nowhere near as good as it is live!

exactly. people should be looking at the album version only, but since some people never thought that doing it by album meant only album versions, we have this mess.

again, it's by comparison. new year's day is brilliant live, as well as in studio. if i compare up all of the studio tracks, new year's day still comes out really high in my rankings. live, it does too - but that's not the matter here.

Bad winning the tournament would reflect better on this forum than the overplayed, droning WOWY. But the Fly would more accurately represent its tastes, considering how 90s-centric this forum can be.

i'm genuinely surprised so few 90s songs are left, given the love the forum has for the 90s compared to the 80s.

i'm genuinely surprised so few 90s songs are left, given the love the forum has for the 90s compared to the 80s.

The 90s tend to be more divisive for most, and this is a survivor. Essentially, the winner is the song that's least hated.

It looks like if I want One Tree Hill to have any shot of continuing past the next round, I'd have to vote for The Unforgettable Fire.

Man, that would suck.

I'm not sure if I want any part in ousting UF to save OTH or not.

a good point - as such it's clear why the only remaining 90s songs are from achtung baby.

Yeah. It also explains why NYD and AIWIY are still here... no one particularly dislikes them, whereas there are strong emotions against (and for, of course) those 90s songs.

What the hell, now it's 1 vote...end the poll quick before OTH gets eliminated!

ok good!

(once in a while there's a round I just can't vote in, I just don't feel like voting any song out :( )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom