Best of 2000-2010 - Not looking good...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danny Boy

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-U
I was just thinking today, we're already half way through the decade, and U2 only has six tracks so far for Best of 2000-2010.

They already wasted Beautiful Day and SIAM on Best of 1990-2000, which leaves only Elevation and Walk On from ATYCLB. Then they have the four singles (so far) from HTDAAB.

The only non-album track from the decade is Electrical Storm, also on Best of 2000-2010, and there are no "side projects" like Passengers to draw from.

They are going to have to release two more albums with at least four singles each in the next five years to get the 14 or 15 tracks they need for the next "Best Of." With their current touring schedule and their recent pace of putting out new material, I just don't see it happening.

As for the b-sides, don't get me started...

I've always though that perhaps the last "Best Of" would be of live recordings, since as they've always said, and most fans would agree, that's "where they live".:up:

I don't think there will be a best of 2000-2010 :|

1. As you said, there isnt much material

2. And besides Kite and Walk On....eh, none of it is "best of" material in my opinion.

Well the best of 80-90 had 15 tracks (including 'October'), and 90-10 had 16. They'll rework some song or something, (I'd think 'New York') and release a new track, so in reality, they have about 6-8 spots to fill.

Their Best Ofs BLOW. The 80s Best Of totally neglects October except for ONE BONUS track...and the 90s...oh god.

1. Where the fuck is THE FLY?! Come on. The Fly is better than any other song from AB on the Best Of except One. The Fly was the first single, one of their most important singles, one of their best songs. There is NO good reason for leaving it off.
2. Numb, Discotheque, Gone, Staring at the Sun - why all these new mixes? Just put the album versions on there, you know, the ones that were actually OUT in 1990-2000.
3. Speaking of Staring at the Sun...no. Good song but Please is far superior, as are Last Night on Earth and If God Will Send His Angels.
4. How about The Ground Beneath Her Feet, one of their best songs? they could at least put it on the b-sides...
5. B-sides. Thanks for a bunch of crappy dance remixes. Nevermind songs like Holy Joe, I want to hear a 10 minute version of Discotheque!!
6. WHY THE HELL ARE TWO SONGS THAT WEREN'T MADE BETWEEN 1990-2000 ON THERE?! U2 should have just saved Electrical Storm for the next album, and Hands That Built America? If it deserves to be on a Best Of put it on the 2000-2010... christ. Maybe if U2 hadn't filled up two tracks with songs that didn't belong there they would have room for The Fly.

In conclusion: U2 should let their fans make their Best Of album next time. Specifically me.

Totally agree with Atomic Bono.

The Best Of's are a huge sore spot for me. Don't even get me started because it frustrates me more than anything else

yeah, i only ever got the best of's just for the b-sides disc since i already owned all the albums that the songs were culled from anyway.

i was actually kind of dissapointed with the second best of's bside disc.

the first best of had an awesome b-side disc.

Elevation
Walk On
Kite (the 90's album proved they put non-single tracks on Best ofs)
Vertigo
SYSMIOYO
COBL
2 other Bomb songs
5 songs from the next album (provided its put out soon enough :huh: )
2 Extras/New songs done especially for the best of cd.

That gets it up to 15, in which case we would have ourselves an album.

As much as I agree with what has been said about the Best Of CD's (to illustrate how little I pay attention to them, it took me until this thread to realize the Fly wasn't on 90-00. I can't decide whether this or Gloria is the greater tragedy).

But anyway, I feel they were at least planning a Best Of 2001-2010. If they weren't, why would they put two ATYCLB singles on 90-00 and then make the excuse that Walk On and Elevation were technicquely released as singles in 2001? Most likely they wanted some songs to carry over to the next Best Of.

Of course this could simply be another example of Best Of Incompetance. I'm thinking that perhaps decisions pertaining to these albums are made by drunken carnival monkies living in the basement of Principle Management.

U2 - The Best Of 2000-2010

1) The Silver Lining (live from Tullamore)
2) The Speed Of Life
3) The Magic Carpet (live from Dublin)
4) Cartoon World
5) The Dream Is Over (live from Dublin)
6) Pete The Chop (live from Tullamore)
7) Street Mission (end side I for casettes)
8) Jack In The Box (live from Tullamore)
9) Concentration Cramp
10) Inside Out (live from Cork)
11) The King's New Clothes (studio)
12) In Your Hand
13) The Fool
14) The Silver Lining (live from Tullamore)

Hail. This is tha best tracklist EVUR!!!

:drool:

:wink:

namkcuR said:
The Best Of 1980-1990 is damn near perfect.

The Best Of 1990-2000 is really bad.

:up:

I haven't heard the 90/00 best of so I can't judge, but I will agree that the 80/90 best of IS damn near perfect. Except for a few of the last track. I was however, disappointed that the 80/90 best of only included one song from Boy and October (which according to U2 Wanderer wasn't released as a single from October) which was two minutes after All I Want Is You finished. The track went for 9:51! I think it would have been closer to perfect if Desire and When Love Comes To Town, which were IMO the two worst tracks on the best of (although WLCTT grew on me) and put on A Day Without Me (from Boy) and either Fire or Gloria (or both).

I can see them releasing only one more album really. But think about it - 90-00 only had three 'official' U2 albums (Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop). If U2 releases another one there is the same amount as 90-00 but as Danny Boy said, they don't have any albums to pull tracks from like Passengers or the Million Dollar Hotel. Were there any new tracks on Hasta La Vista Baby? Because that was released in 2000. Or, take some tracks from the 'Digital Only Releases' such as 'Unreleased & Rare' or 'Early Demos'.

Hypotheticaly -

U2 The Best Of 2000 - 2010
1. Elevation
2. Walk On
3. Vertigo
4. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. All Because Of You
7. Possible 5th single from HTDAAB
8. 1st single from new album
9. 2nd single from new album
10. 3rd single from new album
11. 4th single from new album
12. 5th single from new album
13. Song that was only released 'digitally'
14. Song that was only released 'digitally'
15. Song that was only released 'digitally'
16. Beautiful Day (Live from London at Live8 concert)
17. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Live from London at Live 8 concert (featuring Sir Paul McCarteney))

B-Sides
1. Always
2. Big Girls Are Best
3. Summer Rain
4. Fast Cars
5. Umm...help! I'm struggling here!

Yes, that doesn't look great, but hey it's got 17 tracks. I'm proud of myself after that.

they are contracted for another best of and 2 more albums, also electrical storm was on the best of. nothing from ATYCLB will be on 00-10 best of i would guess!!

AtomicBono said:
Their Best Ofs BLOW. The 80s Best Of totally neglects October except for ONE BONUS track...and the 90s...oh god.

1. Where the fuck is THE FLY?! Come on. The Fly is better than any other song from AB on the Best Of except One. The Fly was the first single, one of their most important singles, one of their best songs. There is NO good reason for leaving it off.
2. Numb, Discotheque, Gone, Staring at the Sun - why all these new mixes? Just put the album versions on there, you know, the ones that were actually OUT in 1990-2000.
3. Speaking of Staring at the Sun...no. Good song but Please is far superior, as are Last Night on Earth and If God Will Send His Angels.
4. How about The Ground Beneath Her Feet, one of their best songs? they could at least put it on the b-sides...
5. B-sides. Thanks for a bunch of crappy dance remixes. Nevermind songs like Holy Joe, I want to hear a 10 minute version of Discotheque!!
6. WHY THE HELL ARE TWO SONGS THAT WEREN'T MADE BETWEEN 1990-2000 ON THERE?! U2 should have just saved Electrical Storm for the next album, and Hands That Built America? If it deserves to be on a Best Of put it on the 2000-2010... christ. Maybe if U2 hadn't filled up two tracks with songs that didn't belong there they would have room for The Fly.

In conclusion: U2 should let their fans make their Best Of album next time. Specifically me.

Or me...:up:

shaun vox said:
one word>> LEMON!! where the fuck is lemon:mad: :mad:

Indeed.

Here's my choice for Best Of 1990-2000

Even Better Than The Real Thing
They Fly
Beautiful Day
One
Miss Sarajevo
Electrical Storm
Stay
Lemon
Gone
Until The End Of The World
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Staring At The Sun
Discotheque
Mysterious Ways
Stuck In A Moment...
The Hands That Built America
If God Will Send His Angels

B Sides:-

Alex Decends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk
Paint It Black
Satellite Of Love
Lady With The Spinning Head
Slow Dancing
Your Blue Room
Where Did It All Go Wrong
Holy Joe
Pop Musik
Summer Rain
Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad
Big Girls Are Best
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Single Edit)
North And South Of The River
I've Got You Under My Skin (Bonus Track)
Mission:Impossible (Bonus Track)

D'oh! said:
Vertigo
kite
walk on
miracle drug
sycmioyo
cobl
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
vertigo

:lmao:

Originally posted byTheMofoFly
they are contracted for another best of and 2 more albums, also electrical storm was on the best of. nothing from ATYCLB will be on 00-10 best of i would guess!!

Single's from ATYCLB that we're released from 2001 (Elevation, Walk On, Stuck Was too but its already on 90-00)
Will be released on the next best of.

I was really pissed off that Beautiful Day/Stuck were on the 90-00 Best Of. Sure they technically slip into that time frame, but they are SO of a different generation. And what did they replace? The Fly? Lemon? Oh gee, they'd only happen to be 2 of the 5 BEST songs they released in that time period, both of which completely shit over the two ATYCLB songs put on there.

Anyway, I don't really think those albums were aimed at the typical Interference level of U2 fan. They really shouldn't be called 'Best Of', but 'Most Well Known Of'. The second discs were there to rope us in though...

Earnie Shavers said:
I was really pissed off that Beautiful Day/Stuck were on the 90-00 Best Of. Sure they technically slip into that time frame, but they are SO of a different generation. And what did they replace? The Fly? Lemon?

The Fly was on the UK version of the best of 90-00 I believe.

Easy new best of

1. Vertigo
2. Elevation
3. Walk On
4. Vertigo(Live)
5. Kite
6. New York
7. Vertigo(Redanka reMix)
8. COBL
9. Vertigo 2(Live)
10. ABOY
11. Vertigo/Stories for Boys(live)
12. SYCMIOYO
13. Vertigo(Jacknife Lee 10)

Irishteen said:
Easy new best of

1. Vertigo
2. Elevation
3. Walk On
4. Vertigo(Live)
5. Kite
6. New York
7. Vertigo(Redanka reMix)
8. COBL
9. Vertigo 2(Live)
10. ABOY
11. Vertigo/Stories for Boys(live)
12. SYCMIOYO
13. Vertigo(Jacknife Lee 10)

Gimme more Vertigo

I agree with was said here...

80-90 is cool, excepting no Gloria which is ward to accept and the excessive Rattle&Hum stuff.

90-00 is too much bad to be true. bad song choices (where was the fly and last night on earth, and please?) and the b-sides... excepting the great summer rain, NASOTR and Your Blue Room... :madspit: :no: :scream: dance remixes :grumpy: :faint:

I laugh at America and the rest of the world as I clutch my copy of Best of 90-00 with The Fly as UK Bonus Track! :wink:

Best of 80-90 (with hindsight as it was my second U2 album and I was yet to hear the rest) was TERRIBLE. WHY did they mix up the tracks, then just put the Rattle and Hum singles on the end in chronological order??

Best of 00-10 probably isn't going to happen...

I think they are in good shape so far for the Best Of 2000 -2010:

1. Vertigo
2. Elevation (Tomb Raider version)
3. Beautiful Day (for sure it and Stuck will make it. They’ll make up some sort of story like Larry got angry and demanded them on the new Best Of. Would the general public care? [I could see U2 re-releasing Best Of 90s without Hands That Built and adding The Fly, Please, and others and throw in a bonus live disc.)
4. Sometimes (there are 3 different single versions. Is there one that people prefer?)
5. Stuck In A Moment (A new version combining the acoustic version with a new piano part? Until then I’ll stick with the acoustic version)
6. Miracle Drug (I can see this being released as an early Fall single to kick off the 3rd Leg of the Tour.)
7. Mercy (Very good stuff. I imagine it will be released on something some time.)
8. The Ground Beneath Her Feet (A radio released single in 2000 that I believe did very well on the charts)
9. City Of Blinding Lights (I haven’t heard the single version yet. Is it preferable to the album version?)
10. Original Of The Species (I can see this being released as a late Fall single to kick off the Christmas season [one last push for album sales and maybe to garner more attention for Grammy nominations] Maybe U2 will release a new version that mirrors the live performance of it?)
11. Walk On (single version w/ hallelujah ending)

I believe that we can be confident that U2 will release at least one more album in the next 5 years with likely 4 more worthy songs.

In fact, looking at this list, I wonder if people here who are less than satisfied with the last 2 albums would enjoy this compilation?

LEAVE THE ATOMIC BOMB BEHIND

1. Vertigo
2. Elevation (Tomb Raider version)
3. Beautiful Day
4. Sometimes
5. Stuck In A Moment (acoustic version)
6. Miracle Drug
7. Mercy
8. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
9. City Of Blinding Lights
10. Original Of The Species (album version or a Live version from a Soundboard or Excellent Audience recording?)
11. Walk On (single version w/ hallelujah ending)

I agree with you...
I hate Lemon
But Stuck is even worse!
And Lemon was at least a courageous and fresh song. And had a great video.

Back
Top Bottom