Best Mourning Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillyfan26

Blue Crack Supplier
My grandmother passed away peacefully yesterday and I was just wondering what songs people think are good for mourning. I listened to Walk On last night.

Walk On is definately the best... Stuck in a moment might be good aswell..
I liked MLK a lot when my granny passed away.. sort of peaceful song..

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

If it were me, I'd be listening to Walk On and Kite on repeat.

MLK is probably the best, but also running to stand still, one tree hill, tomorrow. The theme of death produces some of U2's best music.
My best friend at school committed suidide when he was 15 and he asked for Van Dieman's Land to be played at his funeral. Whenever i hear the lines"hold me now, oh hold me now, til this hour has come around" it always makes me cry.

Yahweh, for me: "Why the dark before the dawn?"

Also, Walk On, Running To Stand Still, Smile, One Tree Hill

When my grandmother died 2 years ago and I got the call at 11 something at night, JT was in my car stereo. I remember the guy I was with turning it off thinking it would "depress me." It was really just the opposite. One Tree Hill happened to be on, and it made an awful drive bearable.

Personally speaking, my request to my family for music at my funeral will include OTH, Walk On, Kite and MLK. Those seem to sum it up for me.

walk on
kite
stuck in a moment

they work every time for me.

When a friend of mine died a couple of months ago i played 'if god will send his angels' for ages.

when my dog died (sounds stupid but I was very close with him) I listened to a mixture of songs off the UF and JT records, mainly RTSS, MLK, OTH, ASOH, Bad, and plenty of EPAA

Kite.

That was the first song I listenened to after my Grandfather died, when I was 14 I think. It was the first family member that I was close too that I lost, and Kite was just terrific in helping me get through it.

'I know that this is not goodbye'

^ Probably the best line for me. Ever.

PS An Cat Gav - I can't imagine how hard that must have been for you.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, All That You Can't Leave Behind is U2's most uplifting album, with some really positive, fun, light-hearted songs. That's why its one of my favourites.

Diane L said:
I'm sorry about your grandmother, phillyfan. :hug:

The song I love for mourning because it makes you feel sad, yet remember that there are other sorrows in the world is Mothers Of The Disappeared.

Mark

COBL_04 said:
Kite.

That was the first song I listenened to after my Grandfather died, when I was 14 I think. It was the first family member that I was close to that I lost, and Kite was just terrific in helping me get through it.

'I know that this is not goodbye'

EXACTLY the same for me!!! (Ok, I was 18 when my grandpa died)
But "Kite" means so much to me! Especially the line you quoted...

Im so sorry about your grandmother Philly :hug:

When my grandfather died this year I listened to Walk On,Kite and Running To Standstill a lot. In fact I was listening to a live version of RTST about an hour after I heard of him passing. Was the one that includes a snippet of Bono singing Amazing Grace. Helped me to release the emotions I was keeping bottled up.

For a non U2 song I like The Beatle's "Yesterday" or Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

Ellen I don't think it's dumb at all with how you felt when your dog died. A pet always feels like part of a family.

When my grandfather died I had yet to discover U2 so I didnt really Have any songs I could listen to that would comfort me at all. I've thought of all the songs that might be helpful in the circumstances now and here they are:

Running to Stand Still - U2
Mothers of the Disappeared - U2
Bad - U2
Nice Dream - Radiohead
Fake Plastic Trees - Radiohead
High and Dry - Radiohead
No Surprises - Radiohead
My Weakness - Moby
Walking After You - Foo Fighters
MLK - U2
Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam
Alive - Pearl Jam
I'm Going Hungry - Pearl Jam
Every Breath You Take - The Police
One Step Closer - U2
Kite - U2
Stuck in a Moment - U2
Heartland - U2

Now I understand that not all of these songs are about mourning but even the emotion contained in the songs or the thoughts you receive from them may be of some comfort. I hope it helps

shaun vox said:
OMG IM SO SORRY i thought the thread title was

BEST MORNING SONG!!!
im sorry!!!:sad: :sad:

:lol: Nice one!

My Grandpa passed away this morning, it hasn't really hit me yet... I went to see him yesterday, and he was so thin and frail, I cried more than I've ever cried in my life. He shared my birthday with me, so it'll be wierd next year...

I've listened to alot of U2, but the new Snow Patrol album aswell (which surprised me, because I didn't think I even liked SP much)

Any other songs (non-U2) that may help?

Back
Top Bottom