Best Live Version of OOC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Lemonseed

The Fly
Out of Control can be one of their best live songs, or one of their worst, IMO. I've seen them play it crisp and fast, or way too slow and lacking energy. I've seen Bono bring it back into the final verse with skill, and I've seen him really screw it up. (Check the Red Rocks outtake...)

I was curious if anyone can point me to the best versions (audio and video) of out of control, one that is played crisply, quickly, and especially where Bono perfectly works the band and crowd into a frenzy when they come back in from the break.

Thanks.

I love the Slane version, but I also love the Red Rocks version ... what was screwed up there? I think that's my favorite live version of Out of Control.

Do you know who this is?? THIS IS THE EDGE!!!!

:love:

One of my favorite versions is the 2004 Brooklyn Bridge performance, even though Bono pretty much screws up the chorus every time.

maybe there are a few red rocks versions, but actually i think it was the drumming that was screwed up--Mullen messes up the beginning, and also when they come back in i think they don't quite hit the timing. larry has to milk it for too long.

Dr. Lemonseed said:
maybe there are a few red rocks versions, but actually i think it was the drumming that was screwed up--Mullen messes up the beginning, and also when they come back in i think they don't quite hit the timing. larry has to milk it for too long.

No, I think there's just the one version. It just wasn't on the EP or the concert released on video (why they excluded it is beyond me). But yeah, there's a messed-up drum beat right near the beginning, but I always thought they fixed it really quick and things are back where they need to be before the first verse.

It doesn't ruin the version of the song for me at all.

Slane was ruined by Edge changing the riff.

Red Rocks, on the other hand is fantastic.

I loved Gateshead when Bono hijacks Edge's mic after his fails, and then trying to get his to work almost every ensuing time to no avail.

I hate the Slane version. Lacks energy and it's just dead boring.

I'm quite partial to pretty much any version from when it was used to open a show. Those were typically intense, wildly energetic performances.

i think slane has too much blabber in the middle, too much un needed talk

otherwise its a good version, still abit slow tho i think.

agree with that. Check out the one from Rockpalast 83 (where most of UABRS album is from) it kicks ass. And it was a great closer for the Dublin boxing stadium gig in 1980

I could not hear Edge's guitar on the version I heard from Rockpalast, and Out of Control isn't exactly the greatest drum and bass song ever written.

Miami 2001 - last show of the ELEVATION tour. Why? Don't know, but The Edge "is on fire" (*smile*). Honestly, a real rocking version - with a killer solo ...

The best version of OOC will no doubt be a version that nobody has heard. You can't pick Slane just because of it being there. You have to go back to when OOC was a regular (early 80's) and then there's many many versions that nobody has heard since shows back then weren't bootlegged like they are now.

I've never understood the appeal of Slane. There's nostalgia, but then again it has to be at least a decent performance. It's slow, and they killed the riff.

I'm a big fan of 1983-05-06 Boston, the show opener. I also like it from 1989-12-30 Dublin but I like everything from that gig so...

Back
Top Bottom