ATYCLB #26 for the Year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
Once again, there is some major chart/sales news to report, which I feel deserves mentioning in this forum (as opposed to the usual "Where the Album Has a Name" forum).

ATYCLB was ranked as the 26th best selling album in 2001 (in the U.S.) by Billboard. Billboard does their rankings based on SoundScan, which measures actual consumer sales (as opposed to RIAA rankings, which certifies the number of albums sold/shipped to stores).

ATYCLB has sold approximately 3.2 million copies in the U.S. 1.8 million copies were sold in 2001. It is a very impressive feat for U2 to sell over a million copies of an album for two consecutive years. It is even more impressive for ATYCLB to be ranked in the Top 70 nearly 60 weeks after its release.

Congratulations to U2 for their success!

congratulations are definately in order!

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

That's great news. Yeah, the other day my friend said "U2 only 26th? I thought you said it sold great". LOL, obviously he didn't know they released it in October 2000. Thanks for the update.

Originally posted by baker6621:
That's great news. Yeah, the other day my friend said "U2 only 26th? I thought you said it sold great". LOL, obviously he didn't know they released it in October 2000. Thanks for the update.

Reassure him it DID sell great.
biggrin.gif
Most albums by artists that have at least *some* popularity will go Platinum. Any release by an artist that has a hit or two will go 2x Platinum. But what really makes a top-selling album is that 3x Platinum category. Not that many albums get up to that level. And the ones that do are also the ones that everyone either has or from groups that everyone has at least heard of (like N'Sync, Shaggy, Spears, Enya, etc.). U2, with ATYCLB, has rejoined that elite category.

Also, if you do some generous rounding, you can say that they sold almost 1.5 million copies of ATYCLB last year and another 2 million copies this year. And that IS impressive, no matter who you are discussing. Shaggy, for example, only sold about 500,000 copies of his album last year, even though it was released around the same time as U2's album. This is because it actually fell OUT of the Top 100 before a few hits drove it back up the charts. It is still rather rare for an artist to have one album sell a million plus copies in two consecutive years.

and those 500,000 were dissapointed when they found out that it wasn't the shaggy the they thought it was.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
But what really makes a top-selling album is that 3x Platinum category. Not that many albums get up to that level. And the ones that do are also the ones that everyone either has or from groups that everyone has at least heard of (like N'Sync, Shaggy, Spears, Enya, etc.). U2, with ATYCLB, has rejoined that elite category.

Ugh. Some company.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Originally posted by doctorwho:
You mean that they thought Shaggy from Scooby Doo released an album?
biggrin.gif

LOL... Can you imagine that? I would pay for that hahahaha

'she craught me on the crounter, it wrasnt mree!'

lmao

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:

LOL... Can you imagine that? I would pay for that hahahaha

'she craught me on the crounter, it wrasnt mree!'

lmao

Actually, that would be Scooby singing.
biggrin.gif
I guess Shaggy would have to have the other part ("she craught me on the crounter/ yeah man, boy am I hungry").
wink.gif

Seriously, I have no idea what the original comment meant (it wasn't "that" Shaggy) as I only know this Shaggy.

But back to U2 here. STING (the Interference member, not the artist) says that Billboard has a "cut-off" for these rankings. In other words, for Billboard, only the first 2 weeks of 2000 counted for 2000 sales (which were about 605,000 for ATYCLB). Then, the next 52 weeks counted for 2001 sales - which is about 2.4 million for ATYCLB. If this is correct, then ATYCLB ranked at #26 with 2.4 million in sales.

Regardless, in truth, I know that ATYCLB sold about 1.5 million last year and almost 2 million this year. That's impressive for an artist that's been around for over 20 years.
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom