Are you sure Bono's voice has improved?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Listening to clips of Original and Blinding Lights I'm getting the feeling his voice is really no better than it was on ATYCLB. Vertigo on CD:UK seemed pretty good but other than that I haven't heard him sounding any better.

I definitely sensed it was stronger during the TOTP version of Vertigo. He was squeezing the hell out of those "feeeeeel's." Also, listen to..."I can feel your love teaching me how...your love is teaching me how...how to kneel."

That's Bono trademark.

album recordings always sound better than live.. bono's voice used to be that he could get every note in half a chance, but he probably needed a lot of takes to get vertigo right, i can assure you

I've noticed that Bono's voice gets stronger the more he sings, so I'm not too worried at this point, it should strengthen as we hit the tour...

His voice is awesome!! I've seen U2 live 11 times and i dont think there is a better live singer than BONO!! He may sound diffrent than he did in 87, 98 or even 2001 but he still sounds GREAT!!!

He definately sounds ultra-gravely on the Original of the Species solo piano performance.

I actually thought he sounded good on OOTS. For the most part, his voice sounded very clear and strong. There were some parts where it faltered a little, but given the type of performance this was, I'm not worried about it. I mean, listen to COBL from TOTPS or Vertigo from CD:UK... he sounds awesome there. I'm sure he had little time to warm up and get in the grove for the Apple event performance.

Either way though, his voice sounds a lot stronger these days then it did during the ATYCLB era, that's for sure.

Face it, Bono's voice was absolutely terrible during the Apple presentation. He's not gonna be able to hold out during this tour, no way in hell he could sustain a listenable voice at this stage IMO.

AussieU2fanman said:
Face it, Bono's voice was absolutely terrible during the Apple presentation. He's not gonna be able to hold out during this tour, no way in hell he could sustain a listenable voice at this stage IMO.

You're basing this on one impromptu performance? He hadn't even sung OOTS live before, especially not in the style they performed it. It's simply not fair to judge anything based on that. I've heard lots and lots of ATYCLB era recordings where he sounded a lot worse than that.

Plus, look back at the TOTP performances. They played a good number of songs, and his voice stayed strong and clear through all of them. That was outside in the cold rainy weather too, which can't be good on one's voice.

Have some faith :)

Last edited:
AussieU2fanman said:
After a huge world tour? :| I don't think Bono has a chance in hell of holding out, I missed the best years :sad:
He's just too old now, he's not superman.

Well sure, he's not at the same level he was during the 80s tours or ZooTV, but his voice sounds no weaker now than it did before the Elevation tour started. He still sounded pretty good at the end of that. I saw an Elevation show on the end of the third leg (St. Louis), and in person, he sounded awesome. Plus, they'll be doing a lot of stadium shows, which means less shows overall, and in turn, less vocal strain.

Take a listen to the full COBL recording from TOTP or Vertigo from CD:UK for a good example of his voice when warmed up. He sounds just find there :)

I'm comfortable with his 'new' voice now, I do feel his vocals are stronger than they've been for a while.

If Bono and U2 weren't confident that Bono could do a world tour they wouldn't tour. If people ain't happy with his voice then they shouldn't buy a ticket, that's just the way I look at it. I'm sure someone else would be more than happy to take the ticket.

I also think it takes Bono a bit of time to find his voice, the more the tour progresses the better it'll get.

unfortunately he hasn't improved his voice, it's still the same, i've heard both live vertigo versions on top of the pops and cd:uk, actually he was much better on cd:uk, but some higher notes are no more in his chords.........................wait for other songs! :shrug:

bcrt2000 said:
album recordings always sound better than live.. bono's voice used to be that he could get every note in half a chance, but he probably needed a lot of takes to get vertigo right, i can assure you

He didn't need more than one take to nail it on cd:uk.

Yes his voice has improved from popmart to elevation and up to now. I just don't understand why this isn't obvious. His voice is better than during ZooTv - that's for sure.

His voice right now is very distinguishably better than it was at this stage in the ATYCLB promo. I don't know what people are complaining about when it comes to OOTS - for an impromptu song that's never been done before, he put in a very good effort and if you listen to the Irving Plaza promo gig, his voice is clearly better now.

I say it's a freakin' miracle. He shouldn't have a voice left.

Are you really sure that Bono's voice in the 80's was so incredibly strong??? In several gigs he lost his voice (for example Modena 1987 - 2nd date)...
...By the way I think U2 are perfect when they play with passion... ...so for me technical perfection is a bonus not a must! :drool:

Axver said:
His voice right now is very distinguishably better than it was at this stage in the ATYCLB promo. I don't know what people are complaining about when it comes to OOTS - for an impromptu song that's never been done before, he put in a very good effort and if you listen to the Irving Plaza promo gig, his voice is clearly better now.

Indeed.

Axver said:

You're absolutely right about this. I was watching the Irving Plaza performance last night, and wow Bono did sound pretty rusty. I actually think he sounds great on all of the live recordings I've heard so far.

I have to add on to that. I remember during the ATYCLB promos I was a bit worried about his voice, but from the 10 Elevation shows that I saw, and a number of bootlegs that I've heard, he sounded really good most of the tour. I personally thinks he has sounded better in the last four years than all the way from ZooTV to PopMart.

An the myth that Bono's voice was always in top shape in the 80s needs to be revisited. If you read the book (U2 live or something like that) which describes every show they've ever made, you'll notice that many of them in the 80s say that Bono had trouble with his voice.

That being said, it's generally not as strong anymore, but I was very impressed for most of the Elevation Tour, and I don't think we should worry just because of a few promos. His voice DOES become stronger the more he sings.

Yes, Bono is not superman and his voice has suffered damages caused for his smoking habits, but he still has a powerful and beautiful voice, and I also agree that it has improved a lot. Bono is still the voice that I'll never get tired of listening to.

For me, Bonos voice was at its peak late eighties/early nineties.
When I bought Slane, I also bought rattle & hum on DVD to replace my tape. Watch Slane, then watch Rattle & Hum and the difference is incredible. Likewise with Zoo TV Live from Sydney, his voice is amazing. One, New Years Day and WTSHNN sound far better than on recent videos including Popmart. This is where i feel his voice started to sound a little hoarse. But at the end of the day, so what. Hes getting older and he still sounds great. AIWIY into WTSHNN on the slane DVD is brilliant. One of my favorite Bono Vocal pieces is Running to Stand Still on Zoo TV.
Hallee Halleeee, halleluuujaaaaa etc.

I think if Bono were to sing some UF, JT, and RH songs today he'll still sound strong. For some reason Bono doesn't put too much "soul" when he sings New Years Day, With or Without You, Pride, etc. Maybe he gets bored with these songs. He always nails the new stuff. I thought he would have never been able to sing Kite everynight, but he did. Even on the Popmart tour, Gone, Please, and Last Night On Earth were some of his best vocals ever during a live show. He'll be ready to go in March. I CAN FEEL!!!!

LostAtMoon said:
Yes, Bono is not superman and his voice has suffered damages caused for his smoking habits, but he still has a powerful and beautiful voice

which is why i think he shouldnt be smoking still now! (at least from the blender pic)
Of course, i guess if he doesnt smoke during the tour it will do his Voice good...but he should just quit all together.

Back
Top Bottom