Anyone dissapointed thus far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
stoven said:
Let's be realistic... there's no song on atomic bomb that is as good as sunday bloody sunday, pride, or even beautiful day.

But you have to remember that those songs have associations that have been built up over time that make each song much bigger and better than they really were at first listen. When you think of those songs, you're thinking of the song, your personal history with it, the video, the live performances, etc.

There are several songs on this album that have that same potential. Vertigo, for example, is going to take on a whole new life when its played live. And next time you listen to COBL imagine it closing the first set, with lighters held high at first, simulating the city at night, then the lights go up to show the crowd and performer on the same level, each saying how the other looks "so beautiful tonight!" It's gonna be amazing.

RademR said:

stars, havent heard much from you today. what do you think of the new album? I had to run laps around my appartment complex to calm down (i really didnt, i was dancing around in my room the last 10 hours_) :wink:

Yeah, I've been too enthralled with the new album. I'm glad someone missed me! :hug: Ok, if you didn't really run laps would you believe I was out on my porch screaming--cause I was. The whole apartment complex got to hear it cause cold weather or not I had the windows open because I was pushing my speakers to maximum decibel!

What do I think of the album?! My gosh, where do I begin. Well I have to reiterate what I said earlier, because I had been hoping and praying that this album would be what I thought it would be:

In all honesty, I still see the same central character that was present in Achtung Baby. He is still here and he's still fumbling around and trying to answer the questions of life and love that nag at him when he lies awake in bed at night staring at the ceiling cracks. Only this time he's looking inwardly for the answers rather than the glitter and glitz the world holds open in an empty promise. He's turning to himself and the asking about the nature of his own humanity and it's presence in the grand scheme of the eternal.

I got struck by remembering a lyric from Mysterious Ways--"You've been running away from what you don't understand....love." I think this album is a confrontation and a challenge to that emotion/driving force of life that literally smacks the central character in the face and leaves a permanent welt.

Anyone else agree, or am I at total nutter?

I think OOTS is sadly overcooked with the strings, though it's still a good enough song to pull through. Just would have much better, as someone said earlier, with a less maudlin production.

wtf? Where are all the shit songs? An album isn't meant to be this strong.

OK guys so what do you think about awards? I'm definately thinking rock album of the year, and most likely album of the year. Miracle Drug (which HAS TO BE released as a single) must get some sort of recognition. What else?

I don't post much here, but I feel compelled to say that this album is weak. There are good things about it and it shows they've matured a lot as songwriters, but they've also lost something.

Evaluating the album as a whole,

Strong points:
1. Great melodies and arrangements
2. Great, great singing and phrasing
3. Great production on some songs

Weak points:
1. Too much syrupy production on other songs
2. Not much energy
3. Not the cutting edge music they were once known for

What happened to their Edge (pun intended)? They've been listening to too much Train. U2 has crossed-over and will never return.

Axver said:
The only disappointed people are the tasteless ones.

And with One Step Closer, don't judge it until you stop to savour it. It's a very rich song that can't be fully appreciated by just a single listen, or even a few superficial listens. Let it wash over you and then you'll see how beautiful and subtle it is.

thank you, i couldn't have said it better my self. :up:

Okay I figured I'd reply again since I only listened to the entire album once when I first replied and I was in a mood. So a :hug: and an apology to anyone I was snippy with.

I am in a better mood and thanks to another obsessed U2 fan who has had the album running over and over again for the past four hours...I can honestly reply I do like the album.

I think that Man and a Woman is beyond amazing. I wish Bono voice didn't sound so strained in some of the songs. I also think this album is much better than ATYCLB. However will it last the test of time...:shrug:

Sorry again for snippy earlier replies.

God Part III said:
I'm disappointed concerning One Step Closer. It's basically the worst U2 track since their early days.
It has nothing about it whatsoever. First Time is great, Grace is quite good too, I like these soft songs, but One Step Closer is boring and uninteresting.

two shit songs I cannot stand! OSC pisses over them both!

After my second listen, I think I've honed in on my gripes a little.

First, though, heaps of praise on Vertigo, MD, SYCMIOYO, ABOY, and OOTS. Awesome tracks.

And, I should mention, EVERY song, even the ones I don't like yet, have a "hook" or something redeeming about them.

For me, in general, I thought a disproportionate amount of creativity went into the "hooks" and the production, and not enough into the underlying melody. Yes, Edge produces a host of wonderful notes on his uberguitar, and the choruses (chori?) and break-downs are bar-none fantastic. But, frankly, the music for the verses of LPOE, COBL, AMAAW, CFYT, and Yahweh was banal and repetitive. It was as if the band came up with the hooks first, and then scrambled a few chords together for the regular verses. On a few songs, the range of verse melody sung by Bono is so limited that he's practically speaking the lyrics. Honestly, would you ever catch yourself whistling the verses -- not the chorus -- of COBL? AMAAW? Now, what about ISHFWILF? SBS? Pride?

What's worse, the already limited melodies on these songs get watered down further by the ambient production. Some people complained about Lillywhite's work on OOTS, but it doesn''t detract from the song's brilliant craft for me at all. Instead, the production is worst when it's clearly making a weak melody more vaporous in a vain attempt to hide it, as in LPOE or AMAAW.

Nevertheless, for Vertigo, MD, SYCMIOYO, ABOY, and OOTS alone, this album is worth it. I figure some of the other tracks will grow on me, as much of U2 does.

Oh, and for the record, I kind of like OSC.

youtwohearts said:

I wasn't expecting another New Years Day but personally they did compare this album to Boy, October and War and it is nothing like that. That is what I meant. This album is more like UF, AB and some songs are a little ATYCLB.

My disappointment is that it isn't back to their roots.

And guess what I know that they are older. Older doesn't make a difference, they are still the same rock group.

Never heard anything about it being closer to Boy,War and October but definitely heard it being compared to UF,AB and ATYCLB

God Part III said:
I'm disappointed concerning One Step Closer. It's basically the worst U2 track since their early days.
It has nothing about it whatsoever. First Time is great, Grace is quite good too, I like these soft songs, but One Step Closer is boring and uninteresting.

i havent listend 2 this song, but i doubt any song could be worse then grace!

what a bomb! said:

turn your hearing aid up!

:applaud:

This is off-topic, but whenever I see your avatar, I get this uncontrollable urge to scream "DRINK! FECK! ARSE! GIRLS!" and "NUNS! NUNS! REVERSE REVERSE REVERSE!"

I'm really starting to like all because of you now.... I can tell this is one of their albums that grows on you over time, and then you come to love it.

Hey, youtwohearts, don't be sorry! You don't have to attribute not liking an album on first listen to being in a bad mood either (even if that was the case). If anything, I really hope you're not feeling pressured to say you love it, just because the overwhelming majority seems to. That's great if you enjoy the music, just don't feel like you have to...:(

I remember the first listen to the Joshua Tree left me wondering what everyone was thinking was so great about it. It took a little while to really decide it really was special after all:wink:

Not going to listen until the official release, but enjoying the comments.. what happened to all the love for COBL?

edgeu22 said:
what happened to all the love for COBL?

Oh, it's still strong! I think that because we've all heard it a million times already, it's been pushed into the backlight while the new stuff is in the limelight.

COBL is in my top three. Adam's bass work on it is great.

edgeu22 said:
Not going to listen until the official release, but enjoying the comments.. what happened to all the love for COBL?

You don't understand. There are so many great songs on this album it's hard to focus on just one. It's that great.

edgeu22 said:

right now, possibly in my top 5 u2 songs ever.

after:

streets
bad
one
pride
with or without you

it's that good.

I'd have to say if you are disappointed I have no idea what you are looking for or hoping for. Some people just don't know how to temper their ridiculous expectations, oh well, that's fans for ya.

I am just glad that I enjoy what I've heard so far. And if you don't, then I just feel bad for you. What do you want?

It sounds great so far, I am very pleased and I am a cynic who didn't like ATYCLB or POP all that much.

Back
Top Bottom